da175 and DA25BG08 Any designs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• da175 and DA25BG08 Any designs?

So, I've been out of the speaker hobby (more or less) for a while and haven't kept track of what's out there.

My brother wants me to help him with a pair of speakers and has a roughly $200 budget total. Some cost overrun is expected.

I'm sure he wants fairly loud and decent SQ, but has a pretty crappy hand me down Sony BPC receiver. 8ohm only, please!
    ​​​​​​
    All of this has me thinking of the above two drivers in a two way.

While I have measurement gear, I really don't have a lot of time right now, so I'm looking for easy.

Any established designs with these two or a similar combo? Open to others as well. The right smallish "Johnny Richards bargain three way" could maybe do as well.

http://projectgallery.parts-express....arma-indignia/

https://www.parts-express.com/hitmak...inet--300-7116

Comment

Do you know about how loud and deep it'll need to get (if it's for movies in a large room or music in a small room...things like that)?
      Are you looking to stay under a particular size or is a big floor-stander okay as long as it sounds good and fits the budget?

EDIT: kind of strange seeing small-ish ported builds with the DA175-8. It looks like it either wants a sealed box (which doesn't increase F3 massively compared to those ported designs) or it can reach really low and flat down to 25-30hz F3 in a much larger ported box around 1ft-cu / 1.5ft-cu. Probably also awesome for OB.
      Last edited by LOUT; 06-19-2020, 01:08 AM.
      My first 2way build

Comment

The Hitmakers and Karma Indignia (KI) (referenced above by djg) have been well received; apart from the tweeter in the KI being the Dayton DC28F, another difference between these speakers is that Paul Carmody designed the Hitmakers as studio monitors.

I haven't built either, but prefer the sound of the VIFA BC25 used in the Hitmakers, to the Dayton. I've used the VIFA in three projects and it's a nice sounding tweeter.

There is an alternative XO for the DA175/DC28 called the "Silver Als":

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-vs-silver-als

There's also this design on the PE Project Showcase which uses the DA175 and a different VIFA tweeter, although I haven't read any reviews or seen any other builds.

http://projectgallery.parts-express....cts/clockwork/

PE has kits with cabinets for the Hitmakers and Paul's Classix II - a great speaker - which just go over your budget. JR's 3 way would also fit your budget but you would need to make the cabinet.

As LOUT suggested above, a lot depends on room size, listening preferences etc. Are you set on the DA175?

HTH

Geoff
        Last edited by Geoff Millar; 06-19-2020, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks all.

I think these will be mostly for music. My brother isn't really a HT type of guy. So shouldn't need megabass, but satisfying bass is probably a requirement.

I am definitely not set on the da175, but remember that it was considered a value leader in the 6.5-7" category. Not super, but a cut above most dirt cheap woofers.

Vinyl will be a source, so sealed may make sense. He has a "sub" , but IDK if it's any good, being from the HTIB that he has. May not be a sub at all, so reasonable bass from the mains would be good.

The cabs would be built at my work and my brother will finish them, so that part is no problem.

As far as size goes, I was told that they don't have a lot of room, but something tall like the speakers in my living room would be OK. I got a nice chuckle at this, and think he should marry that girl. I have a set of Linus Arrays, which were VERY generously given to me by Jim Griffin. Probably not in the budget. Lol. Those have a 16*16 base, so I think anything in a reasonable floor stander would work.

Links to write ups for cheap three ways close to the budget would also be appreciated. Other 6.5-7" as well, of course.

Comment

Does the $200 include the cabinets?

If not, you'll have a wider choice of projects, for example, you could build Curt Campbell's Tritrix MTM TLs, the kit's listed at $153 per pair on this website. Unusually for an MTM design, it's 8 ohms; cabinet is tall and deep, but narrow. The mid-woofers are 5" DC130s.

If you go for a 'bookshelf or similar design, don't forget to budget for speaker stands. Another thing to watch out for at the moment is that some components are out of stock due to COVID and associated supply issues.

There are many great projects detailed on PETT by noted designers, such as Ron E, JR, Wolf, Paul K etc. If I had the need for more speakers I'd love to try some of them!

Read, read, discuss and ask lots of questions.

Geoff

Comment

A nice MTM with DA175s and a Seas tweeter. I had one for a center channel and related speakers for L/R. One cubic ft sealed. Over budget for sure.

http://zaphaudio.com/BAMTM.html

Comment

• LOUT
                LOUT commented
                Editing a comment
                Needs to be 8ohm and I'm guessing this one ends up as 4ohm.

A "benign" 8 ohm load. Super budget, "noted designer". Bookshelf or tower.

https://midwestaudio.club/spotlight/.../cabriniredux/
              Last edited by djg; 06-19-2020, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
                Does the $200 include the cabinets?
                I think the budget probably includes the sheet goods for the cabinets, but not the finish, and $200 isn't a hard limit.

We're still very much in the scoping phase.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                  A nice MTM with DA175s and a Seas tweeter. I had one for a center channel and related speakers for L/R. One cubic ft sealed. Over budget for sure.

http://zaphaudio.com/BAMTM.html
                  This is really a reply to Lout, but I can't see how to do that directly on my phone.

I'm not totally sure that 4r is out of the question, but might lead to an amp upgrade. Lol

Comment

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Am I crazy for thinking this combo is almost inevitable? How has it not been done?

Comment

Originally posted by Zach C. View Post
                      Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Am I crazy for thinking this combo is almost inevitable? How has it not been done?
                      Which combo do you mean, please: if it's the DA175/DC28, it's been done; the AudioKarma discussion group says there have been around 20 Karma Indignia builds, IIRC and the Silver Als have had several builds too.

Or are you referring to a different set of drivers?

I'm not familiar with US prices but I would guess that you can get MDF cut to size fairly cheaply, so $200 seems a good budget which gives you plenty of choice. If you haven't done a project for a while, may I suggest looking at something with a crossover which is easy to build, i.e. has fewer rather than many components.

Geoff

Comment

Which combo do you mean, please:

I'm not familiar with US prices but I would guess that you can get MDF cut to size fairly cheaply, so $200 seems a good budget which gives you plenty of choice.

Geoff

I meant the combo that I originally asked about in the title of the thread. I haven't really looked into it deep enough to see if there's a reason these two won't play well together. At a glance, it seems like they beg to play together, and would offer great bang for the buck.

Crossover complexity isn't any problem, but cost could be. Looking at the indignia xo as a cost reference, my proposed combo comes in just under $200 with raw MDF and no finishing materials. The silkie saves $13 and I have to think the Peerless is worth the extra spend. Never heard it though, so...

The Dayton classic stuff is great for what it is, and I've built many speakers using them. The silkie is OK, but just OK.

​​​​​​​I don't know yet what we'll do, but I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Might have to break down just do the design. It's a pretty simple one anyway. I'm just busy and hoped it already existed. :-)

Comment

[QUOTE=Zach C.;n1444493]

I meant the combo that I originally asked about in the title of the thread. I haven't really looked into it deep enough to see if there's a reason these two won't play well together. At a glance, it seems like they beg to play together, and would offer great bang for the buck.

Crossover complexity isn't any problem, but cost could be. Looking at the indignia xo as a cost reference, my proposed combo comes in just under $200 with raw MDF and no finishing materials. The silkie saves $13 and I have to think the Peerless is worth the extra spend. Never heard it though, so...

My mistake, it looks like a good combination on paper. However, that tweeter is only available as a 1,000 unit min quantity order.

The 6 ohm version (link below) is used in Wolf's "Zingers", paired with the Dayton SD215 woofer, I think. The reviews on the product page seem very good and the Zingers have been very well received.

https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...-ohm--264-1460.

Listed at about $26, the DC28 is about $20. I picked up a pair of the 6 ohm version when the Peerless were on sale at PE earlier this year, but haven't used them yet: they were cheaper than the DC28 silkie and the VIFA BC25. They seem well made.

Here's the link to the Zingers: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...8-2-way-design

If you ask nicely, a kind PETT member might suggest a XO for your original idea; I could do an Xsim model, but that would not be based on actual measurements with the drivers on the baffle.

Geoff

Comment

My mistake, I agree it looks like a good combination on paper. However, that tweeter is only available as a 1,000 unit min quantity order.

The 6 ohm version (link below) is used in Wolf's "Zingers", paired with the Dayton SD215 woofer. The reviews on the product page seem very good and the Zingers have been very well received.

If you ask nicely, a kind PETT member might suggest a XO for your original idea; I could do an Xsim model, but that would not be based on actual measurements with the drivers on the baffle.

Geoff
                            I didn't see it as a mistake. Several options had already been discussed.

I left off the impedance from the part number, since any of the three possibilities should work and I didn't know what documented projects might be out there.

Running simms is one of the great things that folks here do for each other here, but I have that ability as well, and If I'm going to sim, I'm going to sim, measure, sim, build, measure, listen, tweak, measure, sim, ad infinitum then still put them in a different room in a different house thereby mucking up all of my overly zealous work. Thus, the desire to smack some stuff together and ship it. Lol

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                            X