Precision port question - need 90 degree bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precision port question - need 90 degree bend

Why in the world does Precision Port not offer a 90* bend via OEM?
    Anyhow, I need a port that is longer than front-to-back enclosure space available.
    And I don't want a side-port.

So I will take my 4" precision port and mate it to a regular 4" PVC so I can use a PVC elbow to get a 90* bend and more length.

But can anyone help me figure out how long the 3" flared end equates to as a non-flared port?
    Like, does the 3" flare = 2" length of regular straight port?

Need this info to figure out total port length required.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by CZ Eddie View Post
    Why in the world does Precision Port not offer a 90* bend via OEM?
    Anyhow, I need a port that is longer than front-to-back enclosure space available.
    And I don't want a side-port.

So I will take my 4" precision port and mate it to a regular 4" PVC so I can use a PVC elbow to get a 90* bend and more length.

But can anyone help me figure out how long the 3" flared end equates to as a non-flared port?
    Like, does the 3" flare = 2" length of regular straight port?

Need this info to figure out total port length required.
    The rule of thumb is to count half the flare depth.
    Francis

Comment

In description they say 17 inch, so if the total port is 19 inch? Then they probably mean 17 inch as the usable length...

Comment

I usually cut ports a little long to start with, then trim to get the tuning I was aiming for. Once the length is right, I glue the port sections and flares together.
        Francis

Comment

You can glue up a nice 90* bend (if you have to) by miter-cutting out a very short length (1/2"?) at>22.5*> \_/ <22.5*, then rotating the center section around 180* and gluing (epoxy) back together. It makes a nice short bend with two 45s in it.

Comment

Kind of a sharp bend though, don't you think?

Comment

^ Nice thing with 4" is you can get inside and sand the sharp inside edge out. I generally just go to standard pipe and use standard pipe ells if I have the room available.

It is a pretty major miss that they do not offer pre-made 90s

Comment

Originally posted by Dukk View Post
                ^ Nice thing with 4" is you can get inside and sand the sharp inside edge out. I generally just go to standard pipe and use standard pipe ells if I have the room available.

It is a pretty major miss that they do not offer pre-made 90s
                It is a bizarre oversight. 45s might be handy as well.
                Francis

Comment

I thought I had seen something like this before..... and I had!
                  https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...elbow--268-334

No longer available. WHY??

Found some Jantzen ones on Hifi Collective but at 43.58pounds plus freight for a complete kit they are kind of spendy

Comment

Originally posted by Dukk View Post
                    I thought I had seen something like this before..... and I had!
                    https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...elbow--268-334

No longer available. WHY??

Found some Jantzen ones on Hifi Collective but at 43.58pounds plus freight for a complete kit they are kind of spendy
                    That's kind of a sharp elbow, anyways. Would it kill them to imitate sewer pipe plumbing elbows?
                    Francis

Comment

CZ - it won't hardly matter.

Comment

I ended up just plugging a 90 degree PVC onto the flare and it worked out great.
                        The PVC is about 1/8th inch too big around, but putting a nice flat blob of PL Premium glue around the flare and stuck it into the PVC and let it dry overnight.
                        PL Premium is great, thick all-around construction glue.
                        I would not try this with milky flowing wood glue.

It worked out perfect.
                        The PVC I used is 7.5" length as measured.
                        Plus a 2" larger diameter connection fitting at the end.

You can get this exact PVC from here as Model # C4807HD2:
                        https://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-2-...7HD2/100343360

Or here as Model # C4807:
                        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200629_102829.jpg Views:	0 Size:	366.8 KB ID:	1445184 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200629_102911.jpg Views:	0 Size:	393.5 KB ID:	1445185 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200629_105453.jpg Views:	0 Size:	434.1 KB ID:	1445186 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200630_090153.jpg Views:	0 Size:	549.4 KB ID:	1445187 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200629_102856.jpg Views:	0 Size:	549.7 KB ID:	1445188

Comment

Finished product after glue & paint dried and is mounted.
                          The tan specs/debris in the pic below are just dust that I failed to wipe off before snapping pictures.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200630_090221.jpg Views:	0 Size:	468.0 KB ID:	1445190 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200630_090251.jpg Views:	0 Size:	590.3 KB ID:	1445191 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200630_090210.jpg Views:	0 Size:	517.2 KB ID:	1445192

Comment

Sewer pipe technology to the rescue! Looking good...
                            Francis

Comment

Just saw this thread, but the info might be a little late. Here are the calculations for flared port length for the precision ports: http://www.psp-inc.com/tools2.html
                              As for PVC elbows, try to find the long turn versions if you have space to allow for them.
                              My Builds - Vigor (Nola Brio Knockoff) - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

Working...
                              X