Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Minwax Poly The Most Evil Substance In The World?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OldBeginner
    commented on 's reply
    Fortunately, you got better! :p

• AEIOU
    replied
    Originally posted by jhollander View Post
    Yeah I'm slightly offended by that pic.
    Does that look like someone you know? LOL

Leave a comment:

• AEIOU
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    Jantzens are heat-bonded. Solens are zipped and varnish-dipped, so are ERSE brand. PE coils are zipped and dipped as well.

It's been said that the individual windings will move in response to signal and create noise or shift from original position. Either a heat-bonding/baking or varnish-binding method is highly recommended to prevent this less than optimal situation. Vance Dickason said he wound coils in college and dipped them in something starting with a 'G' when I showed him mine at MWAF a few years back. I just use polyurethane. The zipping of the coil is mainly to hold the structure together while the varnish dries. You could remove them after curing, but the polyurethane also holds the zip-ties pretty well too.

I do normally see the solid-core coils with tape alone more often than not. I'm sure this has something to do with not dipping the steel core, but I've even dipped some upwound steel-cores and had no issues. I have also used undipped coils from distributors, but if I make them myself i make sure they are not coming apart.

Being unhappy with some of the coils I've purchased in terms of binding, I've rezipped, removed loose ties, and even re-dipped said re-bound coils.

Later,
    Wolf
    I wound a few coils by hand, nothing very impressive, not so easy to do if you don't have a coil winding machine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P9030001.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	537.5 KB
ID:	1444821

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    This thread is deteriorating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWuDJVJH-ak

Leave a comment:

• AEIOU
    replied
    Originally posted by jhollander View Post

Name:	636516329662093105-AP-Dunkin-Without-The-Donuts.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	1444817

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Mr. Dickason probably was referring to Glyptal, a company name. All sorts of insulating coatings.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Jantzens are heat-bonded. Solens are zipped and varnish-dipped, so are ERSE brand. PE coils are zipped and dipped as well.

It's been said that the individual windings will move in response to signal and create noise or shift from original position. Either a heat-bonding/baking or varnish-binding method is highly recommended to prevent this less than optimal situation. Vance Dickason said he wound coils in college and dipped them in something starting with a 'G' when I showed him mine at MWAF a few years back. I just use polyurethane. The zipping of the coil is mainly to hold the structure together while the varnish dries. You could remove them after curing, but the polyurethane also holds the zip-ties pretty well too.

I do normally see the solid-core coils with tape alone more often than not. I'm sure this has something to do with not dipping the steel core, but I've even dipped some upwound steel-cores and had no issues. I have also used undipped coils from distributors, but if I make them myself i make sure they are not coming apart.

Being unhappy with some of the coils I've purchased in terms of binding, I've rezipped, removed loose ties, and even re-dipped said re-bound coils.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied
    I roll my own coils ya know. Gotta bind them somehow.
    Wolf
    Four or so zip ties aren't good enough? I have unwound several quality inductors and they weren't "dipped" in anything to bind them, just wrapped with good quality tape.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    You wouldn't be if she'd turned you into a newt!

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    That went sideways...

I roll my own coils ya know. Gotta bind them somehow.
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Originally posted by AEIOU View Post

Yes, let's dunk those misbehaving coils!

Name:	_methode_sundaytimes_prod_web_bin_7327390c-bb35-11e7-8b2e-f28d30e9c9fd.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	1444770
    Wait...is that a lake of Minwax Poly?

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Originally posted by AEIOU View Post

Name:	_methode_sundaytimes_prod_web_bin_7327390c-bb35-11e7-8b2e-f28d30e9c9fd.jpg
    If she's innocent, she has nothing to fear.

Leave a comment:

• AEIOU
    replied
    I've never had an issue with Minwax Poly, but I've only used the Gloss formulation in the last 10 years or so.
    What I do now with the project finishing and coil-dunking, I have no use for the satin or matte in these applications.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    I've never had an issue with Minwax Poly, but I've only used the Gloss formulation in the last 10 years or so.
    What I do now with the project finishing and coil-dunking, I have no use for the satin or matte in these applications.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

Working...
X