The Bordeaux’s Vs The Statements Vs How lucky are we

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bordeaux’s Vs The Statements Vs How lucky are we

Hi - Been lurking for years been around here and there. Around 3-4 years ago we moved into a house with a "FROG" (front room over garage). I had finally had my very own "man cave". I promptly painted the wall the deepest red and a Black ceiling. Then I had some grand idea of an AT Screen and PJ etc etc. Well I ended up building 5 x 1099's with an additional 2 18 Mini Martys!

Okay so a few things happened. Those 1099's are big and heavy. Getting all 5 upstairs was a cringing effort for me and the wife. She cursed me the entire flight up the stairs. I got them in the room. After that I never got the screen installed, never got the PJ and setting up 1099s in a room was difficult ( 12x 25ish) Plus I have a 7 year old and those speakers are a bit dangerous when just sitting on top of a Sub. I will say those 1099's rocked loud and clear!

The room never got used much. I was busy and plus when I went in there it was so dark it was hard to work on anything. Fast FWRD to now. We ended up moving. I sold 3 of the 1099s and I was just not sure what to do at the new house. I also will have a similar room over the garage that is a tad bigger. What I want is a new room that can be easier to get in and out of ( not a dungeon) but still subtly, cozy and inviting. Maybe Fashion gray walls ( not sure on that yet). I am not going to set it up with a PJ and would like it be set up for 60% music / 40% movies.

A few years even before I got the 1099's a friend of mine locally in Columbia SC had a pair of Statements. I always lusted over these babies. He since has past away. He was a very interesting fellow - But I never forgot when he showed them to me and how proud he was and how awesome they were.

So here I am lurking and find the great team of Jim and Curt have a new design out. The Bordeaux’s and I even see there is a flat pack. I also see someone is making flat packs for the statements. I also saw a pic of Jim's room with the Bordeaux's and that looks like exactly how I would like my new room to be set up. I am looking for a more refined listening experience.

So the questions is Bordeaux or Statements. Well who am I kidding I am sure I will build both at some point but I think I will go with the Bordeaux's first. They look like an outstanding design.

As a DIY'er its great to be able to build something that I could never afford in a retail offering of this performance. I will keep everyone updated. I am hoping to sell my remaining 1099s first so I can make room in the storage unit we are renting. The 1099's are amazing but they are very specific to a room that I am not designing around. Thank you to Jim and Curt!

FSchris
    Attached Files

Thank you for the kind thoughts! As always it's Curt's exceptional crossover design that allows the speakers to sound the way they do.

I'm not sure if I can add too much to the direction you are heading other than to toss out another option which is the Anthology's. They will all provide equal performance for home theater and all require breathing room behind for positioning. The Anthology's are the most forgiving on older recordings that aren't as well recorded as audiophile quality CD's yet still sound great on those audiophile quality CD's. The Statements II's and Bordeaux will both shine on stellar recordings and benefit from excellent electronics. It really depends on what you listen to and how important HT is to you. All have center channel and surround options too for HT.

I'm looking forward to following your builds.

Jim

Comment

If you are not dead set on the Statements or Bordeaux, joeybutts is going a different direction with his home theater. He parted out a pair of similar in form Khanspires http://www.divine-audio.com/khanspire/ and probably still has the empty boxes and crossovers sans drivers.
      I've built a different version of the Statement/Khanspire around the paper rs line and an xt25 tweeter. I can 100% agree with you about chucking a +5' tall and probably ~100lb. awkward to handle speaker around the house. It cost me a couple days off work, meds, and sleeping in a recliner. Because of the heft, I'm considering rebuilding them in a modular fashion where they can be stacked and locked into place piece by piece making them much easier to handle, or take to a diy event.
      Are those si18? Considered the full Monty but went IB instead.
      Not taking anything away from Jim and Curt's abilities, they always do great work, just putting another option out there.
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

I would sooooo do a trade deal. Cabinets are amazing....sad to see them go but different avenue. Thanks KB for the mention.....
        Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

The Bordeaux is a fantastic speaker kit. If you are doing 2-channel and want a high end set of plans from Jim and Curt I can highly recommend building them. the Bordeaux are easily the best speakers that I have ever heard.

I haven't heard the Statement or Anthology speakers. There is another kit that you may take interest in, the Travelers. They are suppose to best the anthology and Statements especially in the mid range. They only use one woofer as opposed to two so they won't get as loud. They also are supposed to best the Bordeaux when it comes to the mid driver which is crazy because the Bordeaux uses an Accuton driver.

What are you looking to accomplish with these new set of speakers? HT, 2-channel,?

Another nice thing about the Bordeaux speakers is that the top section is separate. Jim had designed it this way so that the top cabinet can be replaced in case he gets an itch to do a redesign.

Another nice thing about Jim and Curts plans is when you have a question, Jim will usually respond within a day or two which is huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikerodrig27 View Post
            The Bordeaux is a fantastic speaker kit. If you are doing 2-channel and want a high end set of plans from Jim and Curt I can highly recommend building them. the Bordeaux are easily the best speakers that I have ever heard.

I haven't heard the Statement or Anthology speakers. There is another kit that you may take interest in, the Travelers. They are suppose to best the anthology and Statements especially in the mid range. They only use one woofer as opposed to two so they won't get as loud. They also are supposed to best the Bordeaux when it comes to the mid driver which is crazy because the Bordeaux uses an Accuton driver.

What are you looking to accomplish with these new set of speakers? HT, 2-channel,?

Another nice thing about the Bordeaux speakers is that the top section is separate. Jim had designed it this way so that the top cabinet can be replaced in case he gets an itch to do a redesign.

Another nice thing about Jim and Curts plans is when you have a question, Jim will usually respond within a day or two which is huge.
            I think I should perhaps tone my comments regarding the SB-CAC drivers vs the Accutons and add some perspective. The SB CAC drivers are exceptional but so are the accutons. They have slightly different tone and depth characteristics but they are more a subjective preference that a clear win for either driver. I'm fortunate that I can A/B the two speakers and really zone in on sound quality and differences. I personally feel they're both great and both will remain in my house.

I hope that might help someone considering building one of the two speakers make a decision.

BTW, Mike I'm really pleased you're enjoying the Bordeaux. I do too!

Jim

Comment

Working...
            X