Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a dayton audio nd105 to upgrade a radio shack linaeum speaker

Upgrading the woofers to a linaeum bookshelf speaker
    Just wanted to let people know I wrote up an instructable on how to upgrade the woofer in the RCA or Radioshack bookshelf speakers that feature the great sounding Linaeum tweeter.

Here's the Instructable: Upgrading a Linaeum Bookshelf Speaker : 5 Steps - Instructables

If you read and like my instructions you can vote for me here:
    Audio Challenge 2020 - Instructables
    before the end of the day tomorrow 7/23.

So you replaced the woofers but did not re-design the crossover? Hmmm...

Comment

I've rebuilt three sets so far.For the first set I used the Pioneer 5.25 HD woofer. They were a drop fit but are no longer in production. Now I'm using the Dayton 5.25" Classic woofer. The only modifications necessary are to route out the four mounting holes in the driver larger so they will clear the four plastic standoffs in the cabinet. This allows the driver to fully seat and clear the grill. Every thing else lined up perfectly. Works fine and lasts a long time and a very economical repair. Total repair time less than an hour.

Comment

I have used the dayton classic 5.25 in the past and to me it is too efficient. It overpowers the tweeter.

Comment

That's a shame. It's a reasonably priced driver and retro fitting is easy.
          I had mine on a coffee table system with a HK430 listening near field.
          The Stereophile review says their SPL is only 83db
          The classic woofer is 89db so their is a mismatch.
          I'm going go over mine again.
          Maybe replacing the surrounds on the old drivers.
          Or installing an L-pad/ voltage divider on the woofer.
          It'll be a fun project either way.

Your upgrade is very nice and you paid attention to detail, workmanship and instructions!
          Last edited by Regore; 07-27-2020, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Happy with the nd105s but there's always experimentation, what have people tried for crossover modifications?

Comment

Bit confused by your graphs. On one hand you mention the new woofer is louder from 250hz-4khz, and then say it is also louder at 63 and 80hz when in fact it appears the other graph is higher at those bands?

Comment

Thanks for catching that. New woofer should read original woofer. The dayton nd105 is quieter in the midrange and louder in the bass, a better average spl match to the tweeter.

Comment

Doesn't look like that plastic front baffle is going to be easy to retrofit.

Comment

Working...
                  X