Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time killer - how do my systems measure at the listening spot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time killer - how do my systems measure at the listening spot?

Out of curiosity, and perhaps a minor avoidance of work from home, I measured all of my house systems to see what the actual listening position response looked like.

Measurement method
    These are done with REW, using my Surface Pro 3 and iMM6 combo with the calibration file loaded. The sweep was taken with the mix at the listening position and levels set somewhere in the 85dB level range. I didn’t calibrate the SPL or set levels accurately, so they’re all close but not exact. No gating was applied at all to catch the room in all its badness.

System 1 – Studio monitor setup
    This is a setup in the near field, just under 6’ between the speakers and the listening position in a triangle. The speakers are passive Dynaudio BM15, very big for a near field setup, with a Dayton RSS 10” subwoofer running using a DSP 500W plate amp. The Dynaudios are high passed at 70Hz and the sub response was EQ’d as much as possible to help kill some of the room modes I was seeing. EQ can’t kill acoustic nulls though, so the 60-90Hz dip is definitely room issue. If I had to guess, the high frequencies are made a bit more jagged than necessary by the mesh grilles over the dome tweeters and possibly the diffraction from the sharp cabinet edges on the BM15’s.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Studio.jpg Views:	61 Size:	53.9 KB ID:	1447056

System 2 – DIY setup, main critical listening spot
    This is a system driven by a Yamaha Adventage AVR in 2 channel direct mode to the speakers. The speakers are my Supernova Minimus project built for last year’s InDIYana event. The bass tone shelving control is cranked up to compensate for my personal preference, perhaps overcompensating in the 80Hz area but otherwise keeping a nice mellow slope. There is no sub here, and the response below 50Hz shows it but is still quite usable to 30Hz. Otherwise this is my favorite spot and it’s easy to see why with the quite flat response from about 150Hz on up.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Supernova.jpg Views:	60 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	1447057

System 3 – Home Theater
    This system is driven by a regular Yamaha AVR and is in 2 channel stereo mode and YPAO adjusted. The sub is a DIY Eminence Lab 12 in about 4 cubes, while the main speakers are crap (the old Dayton B652). It appears the YPAO adjustment did a decent job balancing the spectrum generally, but there’s only so much polish you can put on the turd. In practice, this setup is plenty nice for movies and casual listening, the sub is powerful and really helps out. I don’t enjoy critical listening here, and yes, I did up the subwoofer level a bit from where the auto adjustment landed. Bass is cool.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Living Room.jpg Views:	60 Size:	51.5 KB ID:	1447058

System 4 – Bedroom
    This system is my 2.1 self-powered setup from MWAF a couple years ago, the Indy 8 subwoofer project paired up with my Micro-Sat 2 way passives. There is no EQ applied at all, just the levels between the sub and the satellites. This one wins for the most bass heavy adjustment, I appear to have overshot the sub level by at least 5dB. Otherwise this is another favorite spot to listen, the mid and high performance is solid on those little cheap buggers.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Bedroom.jpg Views:	60 Size:	53.0 KB ID:	1447059

So what does this mean?
    No idea. I just wanted to see what my systems looked like.

Anyone else bored enough to measure their rooms?
    Last edited by wogg; 07-30-2020, 09:50 AM.
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music
    Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

I measure with 1/6 octave smoothing. That's as much resolution as you can hear, so there's no point driving yourself to distraction with so many peaks and valleys. The last time I measured at my LP was last week, when I dialed in my sub with one of these: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oller--230-520
    IMO the only place to measure is the LP. I don't care what it does everywhere else.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

So what's your room look like Bill?

I played with all the smoothing settings too, just kept at 1/24 octave to see warts and all. The trick here is not to attempt to dig into each little peak and valley, in reality my ears are pretty well trained and accustomed to these responses. Even if on paper there are a few spots I'd like to address where I have a wide band 5+ dB lump or valley, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of how I use these systems.

I could beat those Dynaudios with a DIY pair like the supernovas, but they're still good and I'm really comfortable mixing on them
      My living room is on deck for a full 5.1 re-build someday
      The bedroom system could use a little EQ, but it's 90% TV watching anyway

Once in a while I see someone with a room response graph showing they're listening position with +-3dB or less variation and I wonder... how did they measure that, is that real? In my experience room response is ugly, and without a good amount of treatment investment or plain luck that's just what you get.
      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
      Wogg Music
      Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

This is the sub only at my LP, with my preferred contour.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Working...
        X