Infinite baffle in your home ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infinite baffle in your home ?

How often is this done ? Are any of you here running an Infinite baffle sub setup, where you are separating your front and rear waves with a wall in your home ?
    The reason I ask, is that I have been following a guy from the UK, who is running true IB in vehicles, and doing some really crazy stuff (like 150 dB's at 9 hz !)

Really thinking about this a lot lately.... but hacking a giant hole in the floor of a perfectly good vehicle is a pretty big leap ! Anyway, it just seems to me that IB in a home would be much easier to accomplish, and take up far less space. Six 24"s anyone ? ;) lol

I've seen people do it. It's a perfectly good solution, if you don't mind big holes in the floor, walls, etc. Since it's not reflex, you'll probably want the larger drivers like 15".
    Francis

Comment

• Fishchris
      Fishchris commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm already running an 18" sub in a 5 cu ft net enclosure, with two 15" passive radiators. I do agree with "larger though".
      Id be looking at one of these
      https://stereointegrity.com/product/ib-24/
      Without the 5 cu ft box, it would take up a LOT less space than my 18" sub does now.

PS, I think holes in the walls in a home would be a lot easier to repair later on, if need be, than huge holes in the floor of a vehicle... but then again, I guess even that is reversible with enough work.

Ceiling speakers ..........

Comment

There used to be a dedicated forum for IB subs. That was about 10 years ago so no idea if they still do. The number of suitable drivers was not great, mostly being PA drivers. Most drivers do not have a stiff enough suspension. 15s and up seemed to be preferred. I am not sure I see any advantage other than making enemies of anyone living within a mile.

Comment

Well, I mean it depends on what one is after. If a guy is a low bass freak like I am, surface area (displacement) is king. But no doubt, that's the kind of bass that really pisses some people off. I don't think it would be so bad for watching movies, where the low bass notes were not constant, and rythmic, as they are in music. Then of course in a car, it is usually just going to be heard during a drive by..... Unless a guy is going to be a real dick, and just sit in a neighborhood, beating on his system non stop.

​

Comment

Car subs. 60 Hz distortion generators. One reason I moved from suburbia in MD to rural NC. Sick of Hondas with fart cans and boom generators that could bounce picture frames on our walls. Not fun at 2 AM when I had to get up at 4 to go to work. I could hear them 4 blocks away.

A pair of 12's in a living room if correctly done is capable of permanent damage to your hearing. No real reason to go further other than "compensating for something". In my last house, my pair could scare the bee-gees out of you with the cannons on 1812. They could make you think you were sitting next to a 32 foot organ pipe. ( Driven by a Parasound 1200, that's all) They could make you feel notes so low, it was more of a feeling in our chest than recognizing it was a note. The problem with 15's is they roll off too soon so you have to use larger woofers which can't reach to a tweeter, so you are forced to a 3-way which means a small mid of which very few good ones exist. Sticking with my low Q sealed subs. Just use as any as needed. Of course, I still have my hearing. I did not go to Who concerts stoned or use ear sealing ear buds. Want to get rich? Invest in hearing aids as we have two generations all with sever damage to their hearing.

Comment

• Fishchris
            Fishchris commented
            Editing a comment
            Not always. I have my frequency response tuned way down at 58 hz, and it sounds super musical. Not a peaky distortion box at all.

I hear what your saying about "being setup right" and that's very true. But then again, I've had subwoofers of every size, from 8"s to 18"s (in fa t I have an 8" sub in my car, and the 18" in my truck, right now) and while the 8" sub sounds great, it doesn't shake your insides, or blur your vision at 28 hz, like the 18" sub in my truck does.

https://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com/

Comment

Originally posted by christianb View Post
            Thank you. I'm going to spend some time there this evening ☺️

Comment

You won't regret it. I used to have dual IB's in my family room, with two 15" Dayton Reference HF drivers in each (total of 4). The effortless low-end bass has to be experienced to appreciate it. Any decent IB setup will need EQ, so don't get hung up on T/S parameters. You want the largest drivers with the most xmax that you can get. You will never hit a driver's power limit on an IB, as you will only be limited by excursion (down loooow).

Comment

• Fishchris
                Fishchris commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes. And the largest driver with the most X-max that I know if, is a 24" Stereo Integrity IB subwoofer. I know of a guy that just bought two of them for automotive use. (a national car audio competition winner from the UK) Can't wait to see how that's going to go. So far he's only done a couple "little" 18"s πŸ˜‰

Instead of me reposting a bunch of links and mumbo jumbo, do a search of posts by my username+ IB in the last couple months. If you do not find what you're looking for, let me know. I'd be glad to help but currently a little limited on free time.
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
                Instead of me reposting a bunch of links and mumbo jumbo, do a search of posts by my username+ IB in the last couple months. If you do not find what you're looking for, let me know. I'd be glad to help but currently a little limited on free time.
                That's cool. I'll take info from wherever I can get it. And this is something that I will eventually do. So I really want to learn all that I can..... "Before" I hack a big hole in my vehicle floor πŸ™‚

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IB med2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	380.2 KB
ID:	1447154I've been using them for years. I strongly recommend mounting them push pull in a manifold. The opposing operation reduces "hit" against the wall, lowers distortion, increases air load and increases air velocity if the manifold is smaller than the driver area. Most any driver with Qts>4 and Fs<30hz will work.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Lots of odd reactions in this thread. It's just a form of sealed box. As long as you don't live a foot away from your neighbor I doubt they'll even know you did this.
                    Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
                      Lots of odd reactions in this thread. It's just a form of sealed box. As long as you don't live a foot away from your neighbor I doubt they'll even know you did this.
                      I disagree with both statements. IB is NOT a form of sealed box. There is no box "filtering" by definition. IB requires a stiffer suspension Fortunately some of the drivers for ported enclosures are stiff enough. Fs needs to be below a filtered HP. When selecting, do the math.

Guess you have never put on a movie with big effects and taken a walk down the street. Low frequencies travel. I could hear car subs 4 or 5 blocks away INSIDE my house.

Chris, 4 15's and you are worried about X-max? I bet they don't move more than a couple mm without bursting your eardrums! Maybe you are concerned about infrasonics. An IB should always have a steep HP electronic filter on it. I have heard the "effortless" comment from IB owners. I have only heard two, and both I could "hear the subs" which means they were way out of balance. You should never hear a sub, just the music/effects. If I can point to a sub, it has a serious crossover failure. Lesson is I have not heard a properly done IB system.

TIP: Before cutting holes and building structure, you can test by putting some plywood in a window. See how you like it. If course, position still matters, so the 4-subs across a wall will integrate better than the horrible one in a corner. But you can at least get an idea of what IB can do for you. I tried it. Sticking with low Q sealed. With low Q and Fts below 30 Hz, in room will do anything on a DVD. I think the low Q box provides the "faster" bass that is ascribed to IB. High Q boxes I don't like for anything as they do seem strained. The other advantage is the low Q box is much closer to matching room gain making integration and eq easier. Ported subs are the worst of all for this reason. Too flat too low so a big hump in the real room. I can eq a sealed box below fs but an IB needs to be used above only.

My views have evolved. When I was 20, real bass was almost non existent, so more was better. AR-2s were considered fantastic. 100W amps were "big" A 5 Lb ceramic magnet was "huge". We did not have drivers like http://aespeakers.com/shop/ibht-woofers/ib15ht/ My the late 70's, we could get the right amount of bass. More is not better, right is better. Movies with ultra low effects put on an additional strain, but still within "correct"

(I still like my old carbon/paper Peerless over the AES speakers, but I'll take the AES over the new aluminum Peerless.)

Comment

Pasted from an earlier post:

I had 4 15" dayton IB385 in a cube shaped manifold pretty flat down to 16hz in a room of similar size. There is a scene in Finding Nemo, where the mean little brace faced girl taps on the aquarium. The way the shop pressurized felt just like you would expect it to if you were underwater and stuffed in that tiny aquarium and some giant were drumming on the glass.
                        Anyhow, IB rule #1, there is no replacement for displacement. It would take a lot of cheap 10" drivers to fill that room. Most cheap'r drivers lack xmax, and you're going to need plenty of that. Instead of lots of cheap drivers, maybe a quad of more modestly priced drivers?
                        Rule #2, due to placement constraints, among other issues, you will need eq.
                        Rule #3, power. Regardless of what others may say, I can tell you, from experience, an IB needs power. Oversize the amp, you can always turn it down.
                        Now running 2 18" Stereo Integrity as IB in the upstairs movie room. They're ok but need way more power than the Behringer ep2500 can supply. The hvac constantly cycles when watching movies at volume and various pieces of drywall throughout the house are cracked. The ib385 were more efficient.
                        Google 'cult of the infinitely baffled'. If Thomas is still there, he can set you on the right track.
                        Might also find '12 shevas dancing' interesting.
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Working...
                        X