RS100P-4 Filter Sugestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS100P-4 Filter Sugestion

So, I had a pair of ND91-8's in the little 0.04 knockdown cabs with a 1.0mh coil and 8 ohm resistor for contour. I don't even remember how I came up with that, it was like 7 years ago I put those together.
    I never really cred much for how they sounded - not horrible, but just kind of congested mid, no highs, no lows. Anyway, for grins I swapped in a pair of RS100p-4 in the same boxes w/ same filter. They actually sounded better, but a little "thick" and I'm guessing to much coil, possibly to much resistor. And this was outside, no boundary reinforcement at all. I'm building a pair of 0.10 cabs, 5.5 x 9 baffle, thinking 1" x 4" vent,. and thinking of using a 0.50 coil with a 4 or 6 ohm resistor. Placement will be 1 to 2 feet from wall, listening distance 6 to 8 feet. Does that sound about right?

A sim might be more accurate than a WAG, but I think your suggested filter is probably pretty good starting point If you have extra parts, you could keep the filter external, and tweak a little. I'd speculate that the 4 ohm resistor might be ideal.

One time I was in a hurry, and connected a 6.5" Peerless with no tweeter, and no filter. I sat the boxes on the floor close to the wall, and me and a friend watched music concerts, and some shows for the evening. It sounded much better than you would think. There was also a sub-woofer. These woofers drop off at 6k. the tonal balance wasn't bad at all.

Comment

Going from an 8 ohm to a 4 ohm resistor in parallel with the coil will probably brighten up the highs quite a bit. You might find that the 1.0 mH coil is just fine. Going to a 0.5 mH will bring up the mid range a few DB.

Comment

W/a 0.50 coil, I see about +5dBSC using 4ohms, and 6ohms is full BSC (+6dB). I'd probably prefer the 6n.

Comment

Thanks guys! I have enough extra parts to try different combos. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Comment

Split the diff and try a 0.75mH as well.
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by cooper View Post
              Thanks guys! I have enough extra parts to try different combos. I’ll let you know how it turns out.
              Try this....
              Click image for larger version

Name:	single rs100p.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	1447559

Comment

Thanks Wolf and rpb. That response looks great. So the three components (1.0 mh, 2.7 uf 3.0n) in parallel with each other, and in series with the positive input. By the way rpb I still have as my living room mains a sim you did for the Peerless 831735 and rS28 about 9 years ago. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by cooper View Post
                  Thanks Wolf and rpb. That response looks great. So the three components (1.0 mh, 2.7 uf 3.0n) in parallel with each other, and in series with the positive input. By the way rpb I still have as my living room mains a sim you did for the Peerless 831735 and rS28 about 9 years ago. Thanks!
                  That's amazing to know. My most recent speaker is with that same woofer, and a CSS LD22. Box is small, and sealed. My favorite speaker I think.

The other parts are notches centered about 1500hz, and 10k. I simmed the baffle effect. It has a 2dB peak at 1.5k. The 10k peak is in the PE measurement. This is probably overkill, but nothing stops you from giving it a listen, if you have the parts.

Comment

Excellent. Those Peerless buyouts were a steal about $30 IIRC? And they were available for quite a while. Thanks again for the sim. I think I have most of those values on hand. Will probably be a week or two before I have something to listen to. Will keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
                    X