Need help from car audio guys about car alarms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dwigle View Post
    I'm really glad I read this thread. I'm looking at an early 90's porsche that has an aftermarket alarm apparently installed just after purchase. I had no idea the alarm could be so intrusive to the internal components of a car. I can't imagine letting an aftermarket car audio/alarm shop work on a new porsche. I may stay clear of this one.
    The alarm shouldn't be hard to remove and wiring diagrams are available to put stuff back. I might be a little more concerned with the actual wiring. Some of the 80's and 90s Porsches had the fuse box located under a piece of plywood in the passenger side footwell. A lot of wire rot and corrosion from moisture.

Comment

I was a professional car electronics installer from 1990 to 2015 - full time for the first ten years or so and part time as a hobby mostly for the rest.

Generally a car alarm will interrupt the starter wire. Now, in the mid-90s, people were trying to be clever so they may have interrupted power to the coil or fuel pump but I never did this as an unexpected failure in this circuit at highway speed could be tragic. An unexpected failure in a starter interrupt is merely an annoyance..

It does not sound like this is your issue but it should be fairly straightforward to check the wiring under the dash to see if the starter wire has been interrupted. Most alarms from that era used outboard relays for almost everything and almost always for starter kill so it should be easy to find. 99% of relay failures are in the closed position and by far most systems rested this way, only energizing the relay and interrupting the starter circuit when the alarm was sounding.

As an aside - if someone is afraid to let a shop work on their car, new or classic, you are in the wrong shop. A professional installer will perform work that will outlive the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukk View Post
        I was a professional car electronics installer from 1990 to 2015 - full time for the first ten years or so and part time as a hobby mostly for the rest.

Generally a car alarm will interrupt the starter wire. Now, in the mid-90s, people were trying to be clever so they may have interrupted power to the coil or fuel pump but I never did this as an unexpected failure in this circuit at highway speed could be tragic. An unexpected failure in a starter interrupt is merely an annoyance..

It does not sound like this is your issue but it should be fairly straightforward to check the wiring under the dash to see if the starter wire has been interrupted. Most alarms from that era used outboard relays for almost everything and almost always for starter kill so it should be easy to find. 99% of relay failures are in the closed position and by far most systems rested this way, only energizing the relay and interrupting the starter circuit when the alarm was sounding.

As an aside - if someone is afraid to let a shop work on their car, new or classic, you are in the wrong shop. A professional installer will perform work that will outlive the car.

Thanks for the information!

Comment

Working...
        X