Modula mtm’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modula mtm’s

I’m thinking about building the Modula mtm speakers. I know they used the PE 1 cubic ft but I can’t find that on the site. Also I’d like to build the box for these from scratch since I get the wood for free. Anyone happen to know where I’d find a cut list for these boxes ?

You can't find it searching directly on PE's site because they are no longer available, but they do show up following the link from a Google search...

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...black--302-750

Dimensions: 22" H x 9" W x 13.5" D.

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
      You can't find it searching directly on PE's site because they are no longer available, but they do show up following the link from a Google search... https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...black--302-750 Dimensions: 22" H x 9" W x 13.5" D.
      Thanks, man I tried that and couldn’t find it hahaha. Thanks very much

Comment

The Modula MTM uses the old Dayton RS28 which is NLA. The new RS28 is different and will not work.

As far as the cab, this Zaph design uses the same enclosure and has a diagram. Actually these would be great for left center right. Uses the very nice Seas 27TBFCG tweeter and two Dayton DA175-8s.

http://zaphaudio.com/BAMTM.html

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
          The Modula MTM uses the old Dayton RS28 which is NLA. The new RS28 is different and will not work. As far as the cab, this Zaph design uses the same enclosure and has a diagram. Actually these would be great for left center right. Uses the very nice Seas 27TBFCG tweeter and two Dayton DA175-8s. http://zaphaudio.com/BAMTM.html
          What is the difference between them ?

Comment

• djg
            djg commented
            Editing a comment
            Different specifications. i can't find the old product page to compare, but PE was quite clear when they brought out the new tweeters that they were not a direct replacement. Caused much dismay as that obsoleted many fine designs.

Originally posted by djg View Post
          The Modula MTM uses the old Dayton RS28 which is NLA. The new RS28 is different and will not work.
          I believe there is a version of the Modula MTM that uses the Seas 27TDFC. One of the criticisms of the Modula is that the crossover is complex and therefore expensive. There is a modified crossover in this thread but I don't know if anyone every actaully build it. Pete knows what he is doing though.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...modula-mtm-pic

There were many speakers designed with the RS180s and RS28 combination (and djg referenced) and unfortunately that tweeter is NLA.

Comment

• djg
            djg commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for correcting me. That would be a viable option. I built Pete's Schumakubins with the TBFCG tweeter and used them for years with a BAMTM as a center.

Note the difference in Seas tweeters between the Modula and Zaph's is textile dome vs aluminum dome and are nearly the same price.
          The Reference (RS180s) woofers are better quality but are quite a bit more than the DA175s and the crossover components in the Modula will be quite a bit more too. You could create a bill of materials (BOM) for each and compare and think about whether the cost is worth it to have the Reference drivers.

Comment

Man I’m so confused now. Everytime I think I finally decide on a speaker you guys confuse me lol. Now I don’t know what to do.

Comment

The 27TBFC was used in a version of the Modula MTM as well. I think there are about 4 or 5 versions of that design.
              It'll likely be easier to find over on htguide, as that is where Jon Marsh hangs out.

Later,
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                Man I’m so confused now. Everytime I think I finally decide on a speaker you guys confuse me lol. Now I don’t know what to do.
                Roll your own. The xo is the tricky part for some, but the xo can always be changed later if it's not great the first time.

Comment

The Mandolin 2 MTM is a similar size reasonable cost MTM designed by the late Jeff Bagby using good quality SB Acoustic drivers. It is available in a kit from another speaker source. It is suitable for mains and center per the retailer. The design info is owned by that retailer. If you want MTMs with current drivers.

Comment

confused ? welcome to speaker building . you will see the words should , could and may often . decisions and suggestions are based on several things with WAF, skill,room and finances being only a few . different people have different ideas to achieve the same goal with all these things in mind , hence so many designs whether its a two way, MTM ,threeway or whatever .to add to the confusion there is another proven design by jeffb called the Helix which is available in kit form ,from that same supplier they have the Apollo from another well known designer that is also available in kit form .
                    happy hunting .
                    donc

Comment

Originally posted by donc View Post
                      confused ? welcome to speaker building . you will see the words should , could and may often . decisions and suggestions are based on several things with WAF, skill,room and finances being only a few . different people have different ideas to achieve the same goal with all these things in mind , hence so many designs whether its a two way, MTM ,threeway or whatever .to add to the confusion there is another proven design by jeffb called the Helix which is available in kit form ,from that same supplier they have the Apollo from another well known designer that is also available in kit form . happy hunting . donc
                      I’m trying to find an open source kit. A lot of times those kits will cost me an extra 2-400 after shipping and exchange costs.

Comment

What driver manufacturers do you have access to? What is your budget? What music, at what spl do you most listen to? Subs or no? What amp? What is your room setup? Answer these questions, and you will get more recommendations, based on what options may be most suitable for your wants, and needs. Glenn.

Comment

You could make a pair of Statement Monitors and a Statement center. Looks like Solen sells the drivers. US based sources sell kits, but the designs are detailed on Curt Campbell's Speaker Design Works website. If you can move your sub(s), you could make bigger Statement mains. The Monitor, however, has a near and far wall crossover option. You bailed on the ZDT3.5?

Comment

Working...
                          X