Modula mtm’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drummer View Post
    What driver manufacturers do you have access to? What is your budget? What music, at what spl do you most listen to? Subs or no? What amp? What is your room setup? Answer these questions, and you will get more recommendations, based on what options may be most suitable for your wants, and needs. Glenn.
    See his previous thread. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ild-some-mains

What he needs is a sealed 8 ohm speaker with not too much BSC that will play loud HT action movies. He has a sub. He's being bombarded with suggestions for any speaker ever built by a "proven designer" regardless of intended application, room placement, or impedance. He's been warned not to go with a 4 ohm speaker, but apparently doesn't take it seriously. No wonder he's confused.

Comment

• rpb
      rpb commented
      Editing a comment
      No pms from me, if that's what you thought.

• djg
      djg commented
      Editing a comment
      We have slightly different agendas, but no I did not think of you. Sorry for picking your post to comment about that.

• Drummer
      Drummer commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh...I hadn't realized that it was the same poster carrying over to this thread. It can definitely be confusing for anyone without a basic understanding of some of the potential choices. Hopefully Aceman will end up with a setup that suits his need, and makes him happy. If that happens, it's a win. Glenn.

OK, try this. Easy impedance, originally designed for inwall, so low BSC, sealed, dirt cheap.

And, "proven designer" in scare quotes.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...rs-based-3-way

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
      See his previous thread. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ild-some-mains What he needs is a sealed 8 ohm speaker with not too much BSC that will play loud HT action movies. He has a sub. He's being bombarded with suggestions for any speaker ever built by a "proven designer" regardless of intended application, room placement, or impedance. He's been warned not to go with a 4 ohm speaker, but apparently doesn't take it seriously. No wonder he's confused.
      Why you would think that I’m not taking anything seriously I have no idea, but am I confused yes. I’m sorry I don’t grasp all of this as easily as you and I’m still learning. I’m looking at everyone’s suggestions and trying to understand the difference between them all. If I looked at something that was 4ohm then I wasn’t aware that it was. I appreciate all the help and advice from everyone but it’s a lot to take in. I’m doing the best I can.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
        You could make a pair of Statement Monitors and a Statement center. Looks like Solen sells the drivers. US based sources sell kits, but the designs are detailed on Curt Campbell's Speaker Design Works website. If you can move your sub(s), you could make bigger Statement mains. The Monitor, however, has a near and far wall crossover option. You bailed on the ZDT3.5?
        I haven’t bailed on anything yet, there’s so many to pick from it’s making it harder lol. I like the zdt3.5 a lot but that build seems a little outta my skill level and might be a little expensive for right now. But I’m still trying to get info on them and I have found plans to build them. I might make the boxes for now since I get mdf for free.

Comment

• djg
          djg commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, I can understand that. Something like the 8 ohm Amiga uses one Dayton woofer. The design is open source, also available as a kit from PE. The Statements would be a bit pricey too.

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        Why you would think that I’m not taking anything seriously I have no idea, but am I confused yes. I’m sorry I don’t grasp all of this as easily as you and I’m still learning. I’m looking at everyone’s suggestions and trying to understand the difference between them all. If I looked at something that was 4ohm then I wasn’t aware that it was. I appreciate all the help and advice from everyone but it’s a lot to take in. I’m doing the best I can.
        A 4 ohm speaker may be a bad idea for your amp. Most of the suggested speakers are 4 ohm. One of which you were planning to build. Your amp might not have a problem, but why take the chance.
        I shouldn't have posted what I did, but as much as anything it was an attempt to warn you one last time.

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
          A 4 ohm speaker may be a bad idea for your amp. Most of the suggested speakers are 4 ohm. One of which you were planning to build. Your amp might not have a problem, but why take the chance. I shouldn't have posted what I did, but as much as anything it was an attempt to warn you one last time.
          I want to build something that uses the Dayton Rs180s and I believe that is a 8ohm speaker. That much I have narrowed down right now I think haha. Someone in another group suggested the sr71 and that seems like a really nice but expensive and uses a 8ohm driver

Comment

I want to build something that uses the Dayton Rs180s and I believe that is a 8ohm speaker. That much I have narrowed down right now I think haha. Someone in another group suggested the sr71 and that seems like a really nice but expensive and uses a 8ohm driver
          If there's two 8 ohm woofers used, the speaker will be 4 ohms. If two 4 ohm woofers, then yes, 8 ohms. Just be careful what the design is.

If there's only one RS180 woofer, then I think it will distort at the kind of spl you want.

A 6.5" 2-way is enough for my room, but I have done 10" 2-ways that I like a little bit better. But... I like the smaller box of the 6.5", so that's my compromise.
          Last edited by rpb; 08-25-2020, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Here's an experiment for you. Play a scene from an action movie. Then play it with the center disconnected, and see how loud the mains are. Then play just the center. Maybe turn off the sub.

Comment

I'm wondering if any RS180 based speaker can match the volume of Aceman's current high efficiency speakers.

Comment

I'm wondering if any RS180 based speaker can match the volume of Aceman's current high efficiency speakers.
                I don’t have high efficiency speakers by any means. All my speakers are old technics. Only thing I have upgraded was the center with a klipsch rc-25 I think and a diy 12” Dayton sub. (The hammer) I don’t play at ref levels but I get as loud as I can given where I live. Around -20db maybe -15.

Comment

I don't know what his mains are. The specs on the center are hard to believe though, and if they are accurate, then he may be better off with it. I have my doubts though.

Comment

I don’t have high efficiency speakers by any means. All my speakers are old technics. Only thing I have upgraded was the center with a klipsch rc-25 I think and a diy 12” Dayton sub. (The hammer) I don’t play at ref levels but I get as loud as I can given where I live. Around -20db maybe -15.
                    A 6.5" 2-way should be fine. A sealed design with an f3 of about 80hz should work pretty good. My speakers are in a 9 x 14 x 7 box. (approx) I have a 15" sub in about 7 cu-ft.

Ported speakers tend to be bigger. Since you have a sub, you don't need the mains capable of low bass.

Comment

• djg
                      djg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oops. I looked at the picture of the Fusions in your first post and neglected to read. I thought you had those fusions. Sorry.

Looking forward forgetting my mistake, you have repeatedly said you want the RS180. Are you willing to buy a better amp if you make RS180 MTMs and they shut your AVR down?

Comment

Aceman - I think some of the confusion is you have 2 somewhat similar threads, although to be fair this thread really just asked for the dimensions of PE 1 cubic foot cabinet. If I were you, I would (1) add to Drummer's list (below) what size you prefer /or are constrained to; (2) spend another day or two reading the forum and think hard about your preferences/answers to that list (3) start a new thread and set out a clear and more narrowly defined target. Right now your question isn't that well defined so people are just throwing options at you, some of which may not be good options for you. Set out very clear criteria and people will be glad to try to get you to a good solution.

Originally posted by Drummer View Post
                      What driver manufacturers do you have access to? What is your budget? What music, at what spl do you most listen to? Subs or no? What amp? What is your room setup? Answer these questions, and you will get more recommendations, based on what options may be most suitable for your wants, and needs. Glenn.

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
                        Aceman - I think some of the confusion is you have 2 somewhat similar threads, although to be fair this thread really just asked for the dimensions of PE 1 cubic foot cabinet. If I were you, I would (1) add to Drummer's list (below) what size you prefer /or are constrained to; (2) spend another day or two reading the forum and think hard about your preferences/answers to that list (3) start a new thread and set out a clear and more narrowly defined target. Right now your question isn't that well defined so people are just throwing options at you, some of which may not be good options for you. Set out very clear criteria and people will be glad to try to get you to a good solution.
                        I just made a new post, I hope it’s more helpful. Thank your for all your help I’m sorry if I’m so confusing lol

Comment

Working...
                        X