Combine 1 tweeter with 2 speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combine 1 tweeter with 2 speakers

Can someone give me a schematic or guidelines on how to connect 1 tweeter with 2 speakers to my future Bluetooth speaker that i want to build.
    What type of crossover I need to use, if necessary? Or I just connect the tweeter in parallel?

The output of the speakers is 15W and tweeter is 25W

Thanks.

Show us a sketch of your proposal? What drivers? What amp?

Comment

I'm using DSPB-250 2x50W
      How can I connect a tweeter to it

Comment

Generally the tweeter will be in parallel with the 2 other speakers, but that is for only one channel of stereo, or mono. Anyway, you have to high pass (crossover) the tweeter. The reason for using a crossover with a tweeter is to block bass frequencies from going to the tweeter, If you send bass to a tweeter you blow the tweeter. You can design a simple crossover or a full fledged sophisticated crossover, it depends.

Comment

That's what I had in mind.
          Can you advice on crossover that is suitable for my needs?

Comment

Originally posted by scorp8669 View Post
            That's what I had in mind.
            Can you advice on crossover that is suitable for my needs?
            Well, which tweeter will you be using? Model number? Any Thiele-Small data for this tweeter? What about the two other speakers, what are they more specifically? You really need to supply us with as much information as possible. A crossover can be passive or active, in your situation it seems you would go for the usual passive crossover which is comprised of capacitors, inductors and resistors. The more information you provide, the better it is for us and for you.

Comment

This is what I got:

Dayton Audio DSPB-250 2x50W
              2 speakers: SONY XS-102E. 4 Inch, Max input power 50W, Rated power 15W. 4Ohm, frequency range: 50 - 20,000 mhz
              1 tweeter: GHXAMP 3.5 Inch Tweeter, Rated power: 25W, 4Ohm, Frequency range: 1.2 - 30 khz

I want to build a Bluetooth speaker for home, so active or passive crossover, I can;t answer this.
              All I want is decent quality music.

Comment

I'll be that guy, and describe the elephant in the room. You may want to build an existing project, from here or elsewhere. No offense, but it seems like you lack the knowledge to design a speaker. Of course with time and effort you can figure it out, if that's your intention.
                Francis

Comment

I'll presume you want to use the parts you have instead of selecting a new design. It will be very difficult to use 1 tweeter for both channels of a stereo amp, I don't recommend that at all. Using one tweeter you'll need to run it off left or right channel only, and you'll loose some stereo content. There's no way to take one speaker and run it off both L and R channels of a bridged amp. Is there no way to get a second tweeter to match?

The comments above a certainly valid, nobody can give you a proper crossover without a lot of detail on the speakers you're using. However, you can make them work with some basic assumptions. A simple series cap on the tweeters will act as a crossover and get you running. A 13uF cap should cut the tweeter off at approximately 3KHz. You may need a series resistor to match the tweeter level to the woofer. Will it be awesome? Probably not... but it will work and you may really like it, not everyone wants or needs razor flat frequency response.
                  Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                  Wogg Music
                  Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

• djg
                    djg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They should make dual voice coil tweeters.

Wogg is right, the only way to do it to wire the the tweeter to one channel or the other and you will definitly lose content. Another option would be to use a mono amp. PE carries the DSPB-100, with is a mono version of the amp you have. If you purchased it recently you may be able to exchange it for that one. That way you could theoretically run your speakers in a MTM configuration. You would still need to design a suitable crossover though. If you go this route be sure to wire your mids in series rather than parallel or your impedance will be too low for the amp. Running a small boombox in mono is no big deal as the speakers are usually too close together to get decent stereo separation anyway.

Comment

Not sure if the DSPB-100 is just a bridged version of the DSPB-250 tou may be able to use the amp you have and just tie the outputs for the two channels together. I'll let others chime in on that.

Comment

Thanks all.
                      That's all I wanted to know.
                      In that case I'll purchase another twitter and add 2 crossovers.

Comment

Why (may I ask) do you want to add a "cone" (3-1/2"? you say?) tweeter to what you spec as a "full-range" speaker (50-20kHz).
                        If you think you're adding content ABOVE 20k (you say the tweeter plays from 1.2k - 30kHz), people don't hear that high anyway (dogs do, though).
                        I find it "doubtful" that a 3-1/2" cone tweeter can get up to 20k anyway.
                        If you're older (like 50+?) you might not be able to hear all that much above 10kHz !

Comment

Originally posted by scorp8669 View Post
                          This is what I got:

Dayton Audio DSPB-250 2x50W
                          2 speakers: SONY XS-102E. 4 Inch, Max input power 50W, Rated power 15W. 4Ohm, frequency range: 50 - 20,000 mhz
                          1 tweeter: GHXAMP 3.5 Inch Tweeter, Rated power: 25W, 4Ohm, Frequency range: 1.2 - 30 khz

I want to build a Bluetooth speaker for home, so active or passive crossover, I can;t answer this.
                          All I want is decent quality music.
                          A 3.5 inch cone tweeter is horrible. Get a modern 3/4 inch or 1 inch dome tweeter and if you want stereo, then you need two tweeters. If your two Sony speakers are full range, then technically you shouldn't need any tweeters. One other thing, KHz (Kilohertz) NOT MHz (NOT Megahertz)!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                            Why (may I ask) do you want to add a "cone" (3-1/2"? you say?) tweeter to what you spec as a "full-range" speaker (50-20kHz).
                            If you think you're adding content ABOVE 20k (you say the tweeter plays from 1.2k - 30kHz), people don't hear that high anyway (dogs do, though).
                            I find it "doubtful" that a 3-1/2" cone tweeter can get up to 20k anyway.
                            If you're older (like 50+?) you might not be able to hear all that much above 10kHz !
                            He actually said MHz (Megahertz) for the two Sony!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X