Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the highest sensible crossover point for a 2.1sub/sat system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutesy 3D printing is not a good basis for loudspeaker design. It is a way to implement a speaker design. There are LAWS of physics why 2 inch drivers do not a sub make.

Comment

It just depends on what you are calling a sub. I can't find a generally accepted definition but it is the driver that plays frequencies below (sub) the woofer driver. This can be defined as below 200 Hz or below 100 Hz depending on the source. The fact that many of us may think of a sub as a large driver with huge xmax that can reach down to 20 Hz doesn't make it so.

The OP needs something to fill in below (sub) his satellites for a desktop system. Something covering 200Hz down to 70Hz or below. There are small 2/3/4" drivers that can do that for him. They are small, so cool 3D printing of enclosures isn't too difficult which is a bonus.

zx82net - You said you already have this driver, but just wanted to point out that the Tang Band T2-2181SA is the deal of the day at Parts Express, so 35% off today.

Comment

• zx82net
        zx82net commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the heads-up, but I do already have one, I used it to come up with this design:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...g-band-modules

It is by no means and earth shattering sub, but pretty impressive for something that probably has about 200cc internal volume.

Call me simple, but I've always thought of a sub-woofer as a mono component within a stereo speaker system. If you wire up two subs in stereo, they're just extra woofers aren't they? *ducks*

I'm pretty old school. Note the Trimline phone. Wood box speakers, 8" sub on the floor. Sonance buyout amp. The sub is DSP with lots of manipulation available, so I'm not total luddite. My friend silverD across town is young and does 3D printing and laser cutting. He has access to the equipment.

Edit: back on topic, I have the sub crossed at 80hz, 24db. No location cues that I can hear.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0040.JPG Views:	0 Size:	908.3 KB ID:	1449717

Comment

• Steve Lee
        Steve Lee commented
        Editing a comment
        Try turning your sub around so the speaker faces the wall and see how it sounds in near-field.

This is how my office is set-up using a sealed 10" sub with two NS10M Studio monitors at ear level.

Sounds perfectly integrated.

• djg
        djg commented
        Editing a comment
        I will give that a try, then the plate amp controls will be accessible.

You could always do a 2.2 system with a "bass bin" speaker stand under each satellite, with any crossover point you want.

Comment

Originally posted by tvrgeek View Post
        Cutesy 3D printing is not a good basis for loudspeaker design. It is a way to implement a speaker design. There are LAWS of physics why 2 inch drivers do not a sub make.
        I'm a physicist. I am The LAW!

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
          I'm pretty old school. Note the Trimline phone. Wood box speakers, 8" sub on the floor. Sonance buyout amp. The sub is DSP with lots of manipulation available, so I'm not total luddite. My friend silverD across town is young and does 3D printing and laser cutting. He has access to the equipment.

Edit: back on topic, I have the sub crossed at 80hz, 24db. No location cues that I can hear.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0040.JPG Views:	0 Size:	908.3 KB ID:	1449717
          Very nice implementation. Working on a project like that myself. Still have a bit to go but same idea. adcom 2535 3 channel, mini dsp and the same basic layout you have there. Nice job.
          BSME
          Kannapolis NC

Comment

• djg
            djg commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you. Before this, I had the old 2.1 Dayton plate amp in a 8" Tang Band sub. Then I tried various chip amps. The 250 watt Dayton DSP plate amp was a real advance, allowing fast changes to the crossover specs as I have various TMs to plug in to the system.
        Working...
        X