Help with first time build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with first time build.

I just recently caught the bug, so I'm a new member. I would like some input/advice on building a new enclosure for my Dayton 10 inch classic. It's currently in an old 1 cubic ft enclosure that housed a jvc sub and running off of the subwoofer channel from a Logitech z5300 amplifier (100w). However I recently built a tda 8954 class d mono amplifier which should at least double that, hopefully more, and think I need a more sturdy and efficient enclosure for my home theatre. I'm leaning toward a slot port enclosure, but since I've never built on I'm asking for any knowledge or help I can aquire.

Two suggestions:
    First, post this in the Tech Talk forum, you'll get more traffic as this part is intended for completed projects.

Second, look up WinISD and familiarize yourself with how the T/S parameters work and how to model a woofer box. Every woofer has a range of cabinets it will work well in, and you can play with a box model to determine what you want.

Welcome to the forum!
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music
    Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Originally posted by identicalseparate
      Did you know that you can now buy essay online? Its good news right!
      The best news a spambot could offer. The pidgin English is a nice touch.
      Francis

Comment

If you mean the Dayton Audio DC250-8 10" Classic Woofer ... you have a bit of a mismatch.

First, your woofer is 8 ohms. The Logitech system was likely powering a 4 ohm subwoofer so you're really only getting half the rated power into the 8 ohm Dayton.

Second, look at the PE page for the woofer. It gives recommended box sizes with the associated F3 frequency (e.g., a low end frequency rating). For a sealed box, the F3 is 55 Hz, hardly HT sub performance. A ported box delivers an F3 of 29 Hz. However you need a very large ported box ~4.5 ft3.

Lastly, the Dayton's linear excursion (Xmax) is only 4.5 mm. Hardly HT sub capable. It will likely bottom out well short of max volumes.

If your planning a small room HT, you can likely find an 8 ohm subwoofer for the original Logitech box. If you really want to go big, look for an entirely new subwoofer/box combo.

Comment

Working...
        X