Need speakers for a bowling alley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need speakers for a bowling alley

Haven't been here in awhile, super busy with work and life.
    Then I had this crazy idea, currently in the process of purchasing a bowling alley.
    Thinking I may have lost my mind.
    It's 36 lanes, they had 8 speakers above the lanes for Cosmic Bowl.
    The guy that was leasing it took the speakers with him.
    So I need new ones.
    It was suggested I look for some used Bose speakers.
    I know there are better.
    Want to have something that sounds better than the competition.
    I would like to build them, what plans do you all recommend.

Thanks

You want something pro audio oriented for sure, lots of possibilities including some of the projects members have on display in the project galleries. If you are hanging them from the ceiling just like the last occupant then a modified driver layout.. more like a studio monitor.. might be worth considering if sightlines are a concern. If not then standard 2-way boxes with a few subs will get it done. I'd be temped to try a central cluster if there is lots of ceiling height but most bowling alleys I have seen have relatively low ceilings.
    Paul O

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qke0hOZPO4

Comment

Dude.. I watched that movie(again) just the other day. I knew a guy in college that Jeff Bridges character could have been based on, dressed the same, acted the same, smoked just as much weed lol.. he even enjoyed white russians.
        Paul O

Comment

• djg
          djg commented
          Editing a comment
          That's the only clip I could find without multiple F words.

• AEIOU
          AEIOU commented
          Editing a comment
          Too funny. LOL

In a high echo environment line arrays will give the best result, if there's adequate ceiling height. Even a 4x6/4 tweeter array can work well in that situation, though I'd be inclined to use 12 of them to cover 36 lanes.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Line array, I like that.
          I believe ceiling height to be about 12ft.
          What design do you recommend.

Comment

If it was me I'd be using my SLA Pros. I'm not familiar with Cosmic Bowl, so I don't know if you'd need subs too.
            www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
              If it was me I'd be using my SLA Pros. I'm not familiar with Cosmic Bowl, so I don't know if you'd need subs too.
              Oh, come on, Bill, you, of all people, know that you always need subs! Most cosmic bowls keep the music pumping, or should. The younger crowd loves low end, and they are the ones that will be your older crowd, years from now. Glenn.

Comment

Like I said, I have no idea what a Cosmic Bowl is. The nearest alley to me is over an hour away. If it's warm I golf, if it's cold I ski.
                www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                  Like I said, I have no idea what a Cosmic Bowl is. The nearest alley to me is over an hour away. If it's warm I golf, if it's cold I ski.
                  My comment was meant to come off as jokingly clowning, because I think of you as the submeister. Humor doesn't always translate in text. I hope that it didn't come of as rude, or disrespectful. IRL, I'm very much a clownish smartass. Lol Glenn.

Comment

No offense was assumed, we're all good. I assumed that the eight speakers that were removed didn't include subs, so the OP might not need them.
                    www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Drummer do you bowl.

Bill, How low do the SLA Pros go.
                      I bet they go low enough for me.
                      But the younger crowd would probably like subs.
                      I believe the previous operator did have a couple subs, but don't know how big or what kind they were.

Comment

SLA Pro F3 is 80Hz, usually crossed at 100Hz when used with subs.
                        www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dewmiester View Post
                          Drummer do you bowl.

Bill, How low do the SLA Pros go.
                          I bet they go low enough for me.
                          But the younger crowd would probably like subs.
                          I believe the previous operator did have a couple subs, but don't know how big or what kind they were.
                          Not enough to say that I do. I get out to bowl once every blue moon, only when I get roped into it for a get together with friends that bowl. I think bowling is fun, but I have so many other things to do , with available free time, that it would be far down the list. I work 5 days a week at the salon, play with several bands, and have 3 street bikes, and a motocross bike, so if I'm not beating on drums, I really love ripping through the wind. I wish that someone would hire me to ride through mountain passes, on the way to choice gigs with musicians that I admire. If they wanted to bowl during the hurry up and wait hours.....I'd be bowling madmen, albeit with miserable scores! 🤩 Glenn.

Comment

I used to bowl a lot when I was on the road with a band. It's one of the few things you can do in just about any good sized city at 2AM after the gig. That's when I took up golf too. You'd be surprised how many musicians are golfers, because it's something you can do anywhere, weather permitting.
                            www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Working...
                            X