Vitiuxcad Users The Silverlines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitiuxcad Users The Silverlines

Hi, been awhile. My driver's have been in good storage awhile.
    Hoping someone could look over my project and point out issues if someone has the time. I'm a little confused with the resistor wattage rating. I have the values entered in the files provided.... Vitiuxcad ver. 2.0.53.0

Project name.
    The Silver Lines!!

The project mainfile Vitiuxcad .txt would have to be changed to its .vxp and .vxe...Baffle Project
    For the dual Peerless the results did not seem accurate. Supposedly there is no change for series wiring?
    Attached Files

Not THAT many Vitiuxcad users on here, as (I believe) there are better softwares specifically designed for speaker design (and all its associated complications).

I can't make out much from your "project" file.
    Looks like a 3-way w/the Dayton "Silkie" tweeter, a Peerless HDS "mid" (lower Le and higher Fs than your 6.5"ers), and a pair of 4n(ohm) 6-1/2" SDS woofers (835004 ?) in series. Is this about a 0.8 - 1.0ct vented cab (w/an F3 of only about 60Hz)? It LOOKs like you're expecting mid-30s, so I've probably got the wrong driver.
    You're correct, using a pair of drivers in series doubles the impedance, but you get no net gain in sensitivity.

Have no clue as to your XO layout. I'd probably try to cross near 300 and 3k.
    (Since we'd like the tweeter to be at (seated) ear level, I'd have arranged the drivers TMWW, but that's just me.)
    We usually "tail off" a driver's response on the bottom end (it can affect your min-phase file generation). Your DC28 should keep dropping @ -12dB/octave below 100Hz(56dB), down to roughly 30-36dB near 20Hz. (Even if it's only "ballpark", it'll be a lot better than the "noise" you've got down there now.

Good luck.

Comment

VituixCAD is pretty much the most accurate simulation software out there, but like anything, only as accurate as the input data.

Start my following the tutorials and videos for Vituix. I had a brief glance at your file and the first thing that stood out is your driver Y axis positions. Generally you would design everything around the tweeter axis, so the Y value for the tweeter is zero, and the other driver Y axis values are entered as an offset from the tweeter Y=0 location. There is some links on the website for more information, and plenty of discussion at DIYAudio.

I also notice that you have no Z axis values, which is ok assuming is that you've measured with a 2 channel measurement system like ARTA to include measured phase in the files, but I didn't look that far. If you've measured with a single channel system like USB mic than there is a few more steps to determine delay values to receive an accurate simulation. Vituix site has information on how to use ARTA or REW to create useful measurement data for use in VituixCAD.

Don't worry about resistor Wattage, it is just for information only in Vituix, doesn't affect the simulation result, and unless you've made some poor design decisions, 10W resistors are generally fine for crossovers.

Any inaccuracies in the results beyond that rely on the accuracy of the input data. I don't know how your response files were achieved so I would review your measurement and merging process if you suspect there is much error there.
      "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
      exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

"Not THAT many Vitiuxcad users on here, as (I believe) there are better software specifically designed for speaker design (and all its associated complications)."

Hmmm. I was about to put some effort into it as maybe more comprehensive than the PSD-Lite/Edge/WinISD set I have been using. Cursory look was impressing.

Published graphs and files are OK for selecting drivers, but best to measure in a prototype box ( Sorry Sigil, looks like you did nice box first) with the two channel ARTA/Holm method as it will include the phase, offset, diffraction, baffle step data as well as distortion, which may surprise some ( like those trying to use an Vifa XT25 below 3K)

Comment

Playing with it. A bit more complicated in how the tools interact. Optimizer is giving odd results. Might be fun to take the results from PSD and out them into Vituix and see the differences. Looks like it is worth some time though.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
            Yes I thought of the driver arrangement after.
            Where I would if have mounted the tweeter on top and mid just below on the baffle with woofers on the bottom. Too late, I'm not making a tweeter housing and new baffle now!
            Ya read somewhere about the tweeter offset should be the zero. I will have to check that area about offset.

I did say I have no usb mic. yet. These are all aneochic mfg. measurements.
            I don't think there's a driver data base file for the 6.5" SDS 4 ohm...been in storage and discontinued driver.
            I haven't learned Win ISD yet.
            I initially learned Windows Passive Crossover designer first. It gave me some learning on crossover scenarios. I found it to be accurate with Vitiuxcad.

Its a sealed box. I don't think I will test the nearfield until after I buy a mic..I don't think it will affect too much since the box is already built. Its going to drop in db, and FS shouldn't be a problem...higher in sealed, I think?...it be crossed with a sub....but may use without a sub occasionally.

I tested other drivers with REW and seemed accurate.
            Just getting high SPL with this SDS...saying 94 USPL affecting simulation in a bad way!

Comment

There IS (was) a 6-1/2" 4ohm SDS midbass, # 835004. Is that the one you've got?
              And what # is your mid?

Comment

Originally posted by Sigil View Post
                I did say I have no usb mic. yet. These are all aneochic mfg. measurements.
                If what you're working with is manufacturer datasheet measurements, that will more than likely be 2pi infinite baffle data, so you'll need to run them through the diffraction simulator at the very least to get something useful for design, and guess at the Z offsets between drivers. It's all just guesswork without a real measurement, so don't expect your simulation to match reality with a great degree of accuracy. Like I said, errors in = errors out. VituixCAD is designed to be used with real measurements on and off-axis.
                "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Working...
                X