A not-spherical BMR satellite speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A not-spherical BMR satellite speaker

I was in the process of designing a spherical speaker for some Tectonic TEBM35C10-4 BMR 2" drivers I bought. I got distracted and built these instead.

I started by making a test box with adjustable volume and sockets for passive radiators or a port. After playing around with a few combinations, I decided they actually sound best in a well stuffed sealed box, which maybe shouldn't be a surprise considering the Qts of 0.83. I tried a few volumes and decided 350ml was big enough to let them crossover with a subwoofer at around 170Hz.
    So here are my Goggie, Raygun Gothic inspired BMR micro-sat's.

I'm using these on a desk with the subwoofer behind my computer monitor, with a DSP providing 24dB roll-off crossover at 170Hz. The BMR drivers have a really nice presentation that demands attention. At $8.50 for the driver and about $5 for the plastic, these things are fantastic value.
    Last edited by zx82net; 09-05-2020, 02:55 PM.

those look awesome!

I have a few of these drivers sitting around!

Comment

• zx82net
      zx82net commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I'll be posting the stl models, once I have them cleaned up

pretty sweet mate, how would you say they sound if you didnt run it with a sub?

Comment

Originally posted by 3rutu5 View Post
      pretty sweet mate, how would you say they sound if you didnt run it with a sub?
      Like a nice pair of speaker with no bass response! The output drops very rapidly below 160Hz. They would be totally usable for the spoken word, but music, not so much. You'd probably still want to use a high pass filter to keep the power handling.

These graphs are what WinISD predicted and what I measured with REW in a totally uncontrolled setup, just on my desk

Comment

Yeah I don't think I have a project.for.those TEBM's yet, I remember modelling them vented and getting down to just less than 90-100hz and I was disappointed after making a sweet box for them how it sounded so moved onto the next one.

I did think about getting a 3" inch mid woofer and a 2.1ch amp and thinking something portable but gave up

Comment

Those look great. I had a plan with a ND90 in a slot opening or bandpass enclosure that might work as a stand/ flat box for something like that.
          John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

• zx82net
            zx82net commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you!

• Jake
            Jake commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a great idea. Nd90 stand +1

Originally posted by 3rutu5 View Post
          Yeah I don't think I have a project.for.those TEBM's yet, I remember modelling them vented and getting down to just less than 90-100hz and I was disappointed after making a sweet box for them how it sounded so moved onto the next one.

I did think about getting a 3" inch mid woofer and a 2.1ch amp and thinking something portable but gave up
          I just tried pairing them up to one of the Tang Band 2 inch modules. It's not as good as the large sub, and it wouldn't match the same volume levels these satellites can reach, but it's honestly pretty good for something you can pick up with one hand, if you can take the rather high vibration output. If I was going to design another speaker around that module, I'd mount two of them back to back, to stop them dancing about
          Tang Band T2-2181SA 2" Subwoofer Module 6-7/8" x 2-3/4"

Comment

Nice looking satellites!

I really want to try a couple of those TangBand subwoofer modules but they get spendy with exchange and shipping. One day..

Comment

Working...
            X