CD Player alternate options.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD Player alternate options.

Does anyone have suggestions for an alternative way to play CDs? I've had a few CD players, one Onkyo gave up, the other is ancient (late '80s), and I've used a few DVD players, the last is starting to fail. I don't want to use a computer for music at home. Another $40 Chinese DVD player with coaxial digital out is tempting, but I prefer something non-Chinese.

Any suggestions?

If you have a city that craigslist covers near you, keep an eye on the Electronic section for decent CD players.
    Seem to come reasonably often and relatively cheap, if you stay away for the Audiophile brands...
    Otherwise, its some form of digital.
    Andy.

Comment

I've had an Oppo BDP-95 for years, and it's still pretty darn good for DVDs, Blu-Rays or CDs. You can probably get a used Oppo for a few hundred.
      Francis

Comment

• andykriech
        andykriech commented
        Editing a comment
        Fully agree on the Oppos.
        I have Oppo players in all my HTs (UDP-203, BDP-103, BDP-93) and even in my Vinyl setup (DV-983H). Work great, but at least here in Austin, they are still commanding quite high prices.
        Last BDP-95 I saw, they were asking $500 (no idea if they are getting anything close to that, but...).
        If you are willing to spend $300-500, they are a great way to go.
        Andy.

Whoa, still $500. I paid right around $1,000 ten years ago. I guess they keep their value.
      Francis

Comment

To bad you are so far away. I have a Rotel, one of the best CD players made, and an NAD, which had a good DAC in them, I am no longer using. All my music in on a SSD and I play through a PC/music server.
        I too love my older OPPO 103. The only beef I have with a DVD/BD player is how long it takes them to boot and open the tray. The old Rotel is quite "snappy".

If you have an external DAC of good quality, then about any transport is fine as buffers have eliminated the early clock stability questions. Bits are bits. Nifty feature, the NAD has access to the DAC so you can feed it from a PC or other digital source. Maybe I should plug it back in.

Non-Chinese eh? Going to build your own? I prefer the BB DAC over the Wolfson, but execution is more important then the chip. I am probably obsolete with newer chips.

Comment

We have a Yamaha 5 CD player, 25 years old, made in Japan: excellent. Never a problem and they don't seem too expensive second hand.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by tvrgeek View Post
            I too love my older OPPO 103. The only beef I have with a DVD/BD player is how long it takes them to boot and open the tray. The old Rotel is quite "snappy".
            100% agree on that. BD/DVD can be tricky to use for CD's without a tv display or remote:/

Comment

All my CDs go in the blu ray
              John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

"Non-Chinese eh? Going to build your own?"

That's an interesting thought. Has anyone done this?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisn View Post

100% agree on that. BD/DVD can be tricky to use for CD's without a tv display or remote:/
                  With my Oppo at least, you can just hit the Play button on the unit, and the CD plays.
                  Francis

Comment

Originally posted by TN Allen View Post
                    "Non-Chinese eh? Going to build your own?"

That's an interesting thought. Has anyone done this?
                    More sarcasm. All the parts come from China. I doubt it would be possible. Plastic and metal OK, Maybe some fun with 3D printing, but the chips would be an issue.

Comment

Are all of the parts required only available from China?

Comment

My Onkyo C-7030 CD player is made in Malaysia. If you dig, you can find out the origin of products. I notice the Dayton DS90-8s I just received are made in Taiwan. The parts supply chain? Not a clue.

Comment

Maybe for couple hundred grand you could put one together without Mainland parts, That is unless you want any rare earth materials. Supply chains are global, sometimes with single points of failure like the glue plant in Kobe. If you want a domestic foundry to do a chip, first sample is a few million. Next million may be 40 cents.

Comment

My Technics SL-PG300 finally died this summer after 28 years. Went to Walmart just to see what they had in stock. Found a nice ONN cd/dvd player with left, right and video out rca jacks. Even has a 35 button remote and plays just fine. $26 plus tax.

Comment

Working...
                            X