Laptop recommendations for speaker design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Lee View Post
    I've also had really good luck with refurbished HP gear - I get better deals from NewEgg.com though - check out these systems --> https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100019095%204016
    Thanks for the link - I do so much business on Amazon I forget about NewEgg. Found a nice HP i5 laptop with 8GB ram for $204. Can't do much better than that.
    Perfect for our speaker work.
    https://www.newegg.com/space-silver-...quicklink=true

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post

Thanks for the link - I do so much business on Amazon I forget about NewEgg. Found a nice HP i5 laptop with 8GB ram for $204. Can't do much better than that.
      That's pretty good, though the 1366x768 screen is sad but easily fixed with an external monitor if you really want to do work. The first thing I'd do is pop an SSD in it and re-load windows from scratch.

Computers without an SSD boot drive make me sad for days now, the performance is just that much better.
      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
      Wogg Music
      Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Get your SSD or Memory Upgrades directly from Crucial.com - they seem to have the best prices . . . All my machines have SSD's.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lee View Post
          Get your SSD or Memory Upgrades directly from Crucial.com - they seem to have the best prices . . . All my machines have SSD's.
          Only if the BIOS supports booting from SSD. Not all do. Mine does not.

Comment

Originally posted by tvrgeek View Post
            A detail to pay attention to:
            From the STEPS manual, but for HOLM, ARTA, REW and the rest.

"Full duplex soundcard with synchronous clock for AD and DA converters"

Now, you are probably not going to get this of sufficient quality in a low end laptop.
            That's why I use an external USB sound card for measurement purposes.

I also use a USB MIC. I think you lose some ability, but nothing of consequence IMO unless you're REALLY particular about your measurements.
            Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Harvylogan View Post

cad
              Exactly, I had to purchase a gaming laptop (razer) that would run everything I need on Fusion 360. I think speaker design and modeling is much more difficult without the ability to virtually design first.

Comment

Originally posted by tvrgeek View Post

Only if the BIOS supports booting from SSD. Not all do. Mine does not.
                That is an odd issue. I have not experienced any issues using SSD's with anything that supported SATA.

Comment

The only thing that ever taxed my computer is LTSpice as it is doing millions of FFTs. I have a quad core i5 with 16G for that. Bring up an activity monitor while running your various programs and look. The usual suite of speaker CAD tools are trivial.

An external sound card would use the same clock, but the USB mic would have it's own clock. Probably fine for sweeps and chirps, but by definition, without the correct start of frame, things like MLS based response, phase, and distortion will be incorrect. I don't know more than the folks who wrote the software, so I can't tell you how wrong. We are only playing horse shoes, so anything close counts. A lot of people don;t even bother with the second input, so they only have the response anyway.

Problem with sound cards is a phantom powered balanced mic preamp with high level analog out is expensive. If yo are using a Panasonic capsule mic, then easy. Market has switched to little USB out like my Focusrite.

Comment

Trying to nail down some specifics; should a really fast 2core4thread modern i3 be fast enough to handle most/all of the main measuring and modelling software or are there some that are far too heavy? Do those heavier programs (if they exist) have lighter alternatives that can do the same job for a similar price (honestly not sure how much of this is free or paid)?

Are any of these tools/software really RAM-hungry? How much will they need to run acceptibly well; 4gb, 8gb, 16gb? Are there good alternatives that are less RAM-hungry?

I'm assuming (hoping) none of this software requires a particularly strong GPU....are there any that can't be run on modest IntegratedGraphics?

I'm also assuming most/all of these programs take up a pretty small footprint. Is that wrong; are there some that require hundreds of GB of harddrive space?
                    My first 2way build

Comment

should a really fast 2core4thread modern i3 be fast enough to handle most/all of the main measuring and modelling software
                      Yup, no problem.

Are any of these tools/software really RAM-hungry? How much will they need to run acceptibly well; 4gb, 8gb, 16gb?
                      None of the tools are particularly RAM heavy. 4G is acceptable for Win10 in general, though these days 8G is a good target

I'm assuming (hoping) none of this software requires a particularly strong GPU
                      Correct, any GPU supported under Win10 will be fine.

I'm also assuming most/all of these programs take up a pretty small footprint. Is that wrong; are there some that require hundreds of GB of harddrive space?
                      Also correct. I run a paltry 128G of SSD in my main machine that is just for the OS and programs. My documents and media are on the network though, so I don't have to worry about that space.
                      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                      Wogg Music
                      Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

That's great news for budget laptops in the $300-400range (sometimes ~$250 on sales).

What different options are there for measurements with proper phase/timing and distortion data...it sounds like most are external parts (outside of fringe laptop/computer's that include specific soundcards or something similar). Are there quite a few budget-oriented options for this or mainly one or two, and what kind of price-range do these things cost, roughly?
                        My first 2way build

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post

Looks like that price is sans hard drive. 128GB ups the price $80.

Comment

• LOUT
                            LOUT commented
                            Editing a comment
                            $80 sounds pretty crazy. Should be able to get a ~250gb sata SSD for $30-$40 (that used laptop is probably too old for NVME SSD).
                            I'm guessing the $80 is for them to pre-install one...hopefully with licensed Windows10 included at that much markup.

I use a Focusrite Scarlet 212 with a Behringer 8000 mic. DIY second channel probe just like in the HOLM and ARTA instructions.
                          My laptop is a Toshiba i3 3120 2.5G. I only have 4G RAM. I would go for 16G because Windows is so stinking bloated. No problem.
                          I was in Walmart this morning and probably a dozen laptops in the under $400 range.

I store NOTHING in a cloud. I know better.

All SSDs are not the same. Look at benchmark specs. Besides the performance, there are multiple technologies as far as error correction. Cheap ones are nothing more than thumb drives. Better ones are ore reliable. My desktop is a Crucial. For that matter all machines with the same chip set are not the same. We found Dell runs a lot slower than HP. I have been a TOshiba laptop fan ( 3 of them) but they just got out of the business.

Comment

• LOUT
                            LOUT commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It took me an embarrasing amount of time to learn most of the $100-200 2in1 laptops use MMC solidstate drives....they warn you about it right on the tag, but I didn't realize that's basically a thumbdrive for memory.
                            Still nice to have a laptop that doesn't write errors (or break entirely) from getting bumped or shaken a little during a read/write, but those MMC's aren't anywhere as fast as even the super budget standard SSD's tend to be.
                        Working...
                        X