cerwin vega speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cerwin vega speakers

I just purchased a set of cerwin vega AT12 speakers. Was told woofers had been changed at a shop. Got them home, hooked them up, bass was crap. Hardly none. Removed said new woofers to find out they had been replaced with Peavey 12 inch 16ohm's. Spec sheet calls for 6ohm speakers. So, Im figuring thats whats killing the bass.
    My Reciever is a 8ohm system. So my question is, since 6ohm is hard to find. Can I use 8ohm speakers ?. If so, what will be the difference?. Thank you.

Depending on how picky you are, any replacement other than the originals will need crossover work. You might want to see if someone (on Ebay for example) offers the original drivers. Just because a driver is 6 ohms, or 8 ohms, or whatever, doesn't mean they are peas in a pod.

In any event 8 ohm drivers will give you less bass power than 6 ohm, even if the crossover would work properly (which it won't).
    Francis

Comment

It's more about the drivers suitability to the cabinet than it's impedance.. although that matters too. The original drivers had foam surrounds and I saw one reference online that they were 4ohm, is there an impedance rating on the rear of the speaker cabinet? The originals were more like a home audio driver than a pro sound unit although these speakers did have a pretty high sensitivity. That 16 ohm Peavey is probably a guitar speaker which is not suitable at all and not surprising it doesn't produce much bass. There will be a list of drives that could be used if you cannot find a pair of originals, but it will take some calculating and perhaps some changes to the internal crossover to make them blend properly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	799f76566608e61789f74a5a97dd6b43.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	333.7 KB
ID:	1450681
      Paul O

Comment

Gotta think someone offers original replacements. Those were popular speakers.
        Francis

Comment

And BTW what you're experiencing is very typical of used vintage speakers. Unscrupulous flippers buy them cheap and slap any old drivers in there to move them. Caveat emptor.
          Francis

Comment

It is not the nominal impedance that is your problem. The cabinet and the driver work together. They must be designed to work together. Someone did a swap that did not know as much as you to ask the question. Sorry to say, but you got took. Now, there may be a possibility to re-tune the cabinet to work with the drivers. If you could post the exact model number of the PV drivers, and the internal dimensions of the box, one of the simulation programs can suggest the optimal port to re-tune the system. Matching drivers to the cabinet is not "if it fits"; it is an engineering process governed by physics. As you were told, well you own them. I think your speakers are a sealed box. The replacement drivers were probably designed for a ported enclosure. Then you have to deal with the required changes to the crossover. Far more complex.

Comment

Look around. This is just the first that popped up in a search. Maybe you can sell the Peaveys.

https://www.ebay.com/i/114387261836?...3782de04cbc144

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O View Post
                It's more about the drivers suitability to the cabinet than it's impedance..'That 16 ohm Peavey is probably a guitar speaker which is not suitable at all and not surprising it doesn't produce much bass.
                +1. That C-V uses hi-fi woofers. Peavey doesn't make hi-fi woofers. Even if they are electric bass drivers they still would lack a full octave of low frequency response compared to hi-fi woofers.
                www.billfitzmaurice.com
                www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Bizarre they used 16 ohm drivers. Are 16 ohm instrument drivers still common? For use with tube amps, I would guess?
                  Francis

Comment

• LOUT
                    LOUT commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, if they're using guitar speakers, 16ohm versions are quite common. 16ohm PA/pro speakers can also be more common compared to regular home audio I think.

Originally posted by tvrgeek View Post
                  It is not the nominal impedance that is your problem.
                  There is a 3dB voltage sensitivity difference between a 16 Ohm wOOfer and an 8 Ohm wOOfer. And if the original wOOfers were 4 Ohms then that difference is even greater, at -6dB!. -3dB to -6dB is a significant loss especially since Cerwin Vega were designed to be LOUD.

Comment

Originally posted by AEIOU View Post

There is a 3dB voltage sensitivity difference between a 16Ohm wOOfer and an 8Ohm wOOfer. And if the original wOOfers were 6Ohms then that difference is even greater than 3dB. 3dB is a significant loss especially since Cerwin Vega were designed to be LOUD.
                    Yeah, I agree. No magic crossover trick can make up for that. Of course if these are guitar drivers they'll never work properly here, in any event.
                    Francis

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                      Look around. This is just the first that popped up in a search. Maybe you can sell the Peaveys.

https://www.ebay.com/i/114387261836?...3782de04cbc144
                      There ya go. A little pricey, but there aren't many other easy solutions.
                      Francis

Comment

To the OP, if you can find a pair of original drivers in any condition including blown, they can be reconditioned to like new with a recone kit.. https://www.simplyspeakers.com/cerwi...k-cvatw12.html

Paul O

Comment

Originally posted by AEIOU
                          Well the first most obvious thing are the replacement woofers being 16 Ohms, which is -3dB (less) sensitivity than 8 Ohms!
                          Bets the flipper got them dirt cheap. This was a great opportunity to move them.
                          Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

Bets the flipper got them dirt cheap. This was a great opportunity to move them.
                            Yeah, I would have done the same. Personally, I loathe Cerwin Vega. Someone gave me a large pair of very cheap JBL and I immediately flipped them, made myself a quick and easy $100. People go for the name.

Comment

Working...
                            X