cerwin vega speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djg View Post
    The original Sensurround design used for Earthquake employed a pseudorandom noise generator, designed by D. Broadus "Don" Keele, Jr.

Keele did get around.
    Francis

Comment

• djg
      djg commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw Earthquake in Sensurround in a theater. It was quite loud. The theater was not "battened down" to quell rattles and such. The large subwoofers were on the theater floor up front flanking the screen.

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

I'm not sure vintage speakers are held to modern standards by their aficionados.
    I'm guilty, as charged. I'm not always looking for high fidelity to the recorded source. Sometimes I prefer fidelity to the sound I remember when I first fell in love with specific music. It's just another type of itch to scratch.

As for bad repairs/restoration, there's a lot of variation depending on the age and common points of failure for vintage speakers and electronics. I would guess that most bad driver replacements for CV speakers reflect the abuse they were put through and low cost "repairs" done when they were handed down.

CV speakers are now in the sweet-spot (age-wise) for Gen Xers feeling nostalgic for their high school/college days and building their garage or man cave systems. I'm not sure when/if the late 80's style will have caché for the younger generations. They will probably be more flippers hawking hacked up speakers if the values start climbing.

-Squib

Comment

There's an undeniable visual appeal to the C-V red foam woofers. The JBL L100 also has visual appeal to me. Never heard any of them.

Comment

• squib
        squib commented
        Editing a comment
        Obligatory:

Originally posted by squib View Post

I'm guilty, as charged. I'm not always looking for high fidelity to the recorded source. Sometimes I prefer fidelity to the sound I remember when I first fell in love with specific music. It's just another type of itch to scratch.

As for bad repairs/restoration, there's a lot of variation depending on the age and common points of failure for vintage speakers and electronics. I would guess that most bad driver replacements for CV speakers reflect the abuse they were put through and low cost "repairs" done when they were handed down.

CV speakers are now in the sweet-spot (age-wise) for Gen Xers feeling nostalgic for their high school/college days and building their garage or man cave systems. I'm not sure when/if the late 80's style will have caché for the younger generations. They will probably be more flippers hawking hacked up speakers if the values start climbing.

-Squib
      Sure, I liked AR-3As, but I know they aren't the flattest response in town. And it's true, the flippers go for the main chance with the more expensive stuff. Taking a quick look, the AT-12s go for about $500 a pair now, so it may not be long until the serious fraud starts.
      Francis

Comment

I can confirm the bass of the CV AT-12. I just re-coned a woofer for a customer and when cranked, these suckers pound (surprisingly the overall balance was excellent)! If I wanted a party speaker I'd be more than satisfied to build a DIY that sounded this good and I normally despise the CV house sound. Find some original drivers, you'll be pleased.

Comment

Depending what you paid for those AT-12, you may get your money back by selling the remaining components. They are a popular speaker with a good market for used parts. There is a facebook group for classic CV that would soak up most/all of that stuff.

The woofers are available but you would probably be far better off with another pair or even a set of D-9, AT-15, etc.

Personally, I like the CV 2000-15. They were very short lived but an upscale CV that sounded substantially better than the D series in 85 when they were on the market. Even the 2000.15 are not audiophile speakers but they sound pretty good to my ear and they certainly bring the thunder.

Comment

Working...
          X