Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tony Gee's Black Box - How much polyfil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Gee's Black Box - How much polyfil?

Hi All,

I am finally in the closing stretch of building these beasts.
    Tony's write-up specifies "Damping material consists of a 100% fill of the woofer volume with Acousta-Stuff polyester fibre wool".

Any suggestions of how much poly-fill that equates to in ounces? The woofer volume is about 24 liters.
    I have a couple of 20 ounce bags of poly-fill to work with.

Thanks, Andy.

A normal amount of stuffing for a sealed cab is about one pound per cubic foot. So a little less than a pound for your cabs, assuming they're sealed, although it's not super crucial. Fluff it out well, and push it in.
    Francis

Comment

Thanks Francis, that will help out.
      ak

Comment

That seems too high. My memory says Acousta Stuf recommends 0.5 lb/ft3 for stuffing a sealed box (but my memory may be wrong and I'm too lazy to go down to the basement to see what the handout from Acousta Stuf states).
        Paul

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
        A normal amount of stuffing for a sealed cab is about one pound per cubic foot. So a little less than a pound for your cabs, assuming they're sealed, although it's not super crucial. Fluff it out well, and push it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
          That seems too high. My memory says Acousta Stuf recommends 0.5 lb/ft3 for stuffing a sealed box (but my memory may be wrong and I'm too lazy to go down to the basement to see what the handout from Acousta Stuf states).
          Paul

Well, everybody seems to use a different amount. My "data" is just from some old articles I read, and what I've personally used. YMMV, and all that.
          Francis

Comment

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...ser-manual.pdf

Comment

IME, Walmart pillow stuffing is different from Acousta-Stuf. It is much fluffier as received. I prefer using it to Acousta-Stuf, but I have a bag of Acousta-Stuf left from my Lxmini kit. I used poly fill instead.

I would think the weight would be the way to measure, they are similar, but the Acousta-Stuf is compressed for shipping.

I used Acousta-Stuf in my Continuums and will use it in my PEDS satellites.

Comment

There are varying grades of stuffing- that's for sure. Differences are more applicable in different cases too. 'Premium' fill from Polyfil or Morning Glory is NOT like standard Polyfil. If you want it to breathe easier, standard is better. Denser is the premium stuff. Acoustistuf is just north of 75% between the 2 as far as density goes, but it's a more random fiber due to the crimping.

Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Tony’s write up says that Qtc for that speaker should be close to 1.0 before you add the woofer capacitors. If you have a DATS, stuff and measure until until you get 1.0 and don’t worry about what type of stuffing you use.
                  -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                  My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                  The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                    I am using regular "Poly-Fil" brand poly fiber, likely from Walmart (S.O. picked it up for me, as I am not going out since mid-March).

I don't have a DATS, but will shoot for 12-15 ounces and see how that turns out.

Thanks, Andy.

Comment

Working...
                    X