Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wondering if a Classic 2.5 clone can be made with a series crossover on the woofers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering if a Classic 2.5 clone can be made with a series crossover on the woofers

Hi,
    I have some DC160 -4 woofers and DC28F-8 tweeters. I am inquiring if it would be possible to use the 2 woofers in series for an 8 ohm system in the Paul Carmody Classic 2.5 TMM enclosure. I know I can make an MTM, but would rather have a TMM. Thanks for your time.

Myles

Originally posted by Kootskid View Post
    Hi,
    I have some DC160 -4 woofers and DC28F-8 tweeters. I am inquiring if it would be possible to use the 2 woofers in series for an 8 ohm system in the Paul Carmody Classic 2.5 TMM enclosure. I know I can make an MTM, but would rather have a TMM. Thanks for your time.

Myles
    It won't be a 'clone' as you're using different drivers, in particular, the tweeter's different. What I think you're after is a TMM/2.5 way crossover for those drivers, with the bottom woofer providing the Baffle Step Compensation as per the Classix 2.5 design. This will mean a new XO.

Enclosure-wise, without modelling I think the Classix 2.5 cabinet could be OK as the 160-4s and 160-8s have similar parameters.

There are a few designs around for a DC160-8 and DC28F MTM, but none that I've found for the 160-4 and no TMM 2.5 projects; happy to be proved wrong of course. The 2.5 feature adds additional fun/issues to deal with in working out a crossover.

Sorry I can't be more help but other PETT members may have some suggestions for you.

Geoff
    Last edited by Geoff Millar; 09-14-2020, 08:04 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Don't know, but don't THINK you can get to a 2.5-way using a pair of 4ohmers in series. I think a ".5" necessitates that the woofers be (wired/filtered) in parallel. (Wolf prob. knows the answer to this - perhaps he'll pop in?)

Comment

Thanks for the help so far. I have looked in with Curt Campbell in regards to building a larger version of his TriTrix. If Curts MTM model is what I build, I will have to decide on whether I want to build the TL's or the smaller version. Let's see if Wolf chimes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
          Don't know, but don't THINK you can get to a 2.5-way using a pair of 4ohmers in series. I think a ".5" necessitates that the woofers be (wired/filtered) in parallel. (Wolf prob. knows the answer to this - perhaps he'll pop in?)
          That's certainly the case with the Classix 2.5 and one other project I've seen somewhere.

An MTM with the DC160-4 and DC28F could be modelled - I could try it in Xsim if you wish - by adapting an existing design for a DC160-8/DC28 two way.

This might be tricky: the DC160-4 - using the factory supplied data in Xsim, shown below - has a rougher FR than the 8 ohm version, so the XO will need an expert touch. Not mine!

The red is the DC160-4; connecting two in series will obviously affect the FRD and ZMA graphs.

Geoff
          Click image for larger version

Name:	DC160-4 and DC160-8 Comp.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1451331 Click image for larger version

Name:	DC160-4 and DC160-8 ZMA Comp.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1451332

Comment

Thanks for the preliminary sim, Geoff. Not sure what my next move should or could be with these 4 ohm woofers. I may get a hold of Curt and see what recommendations he can give me on a larger model of the TriTrix, as it has woofers wired in series

Comment

Working...
            X