• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GRS planars...

https://www.parts-express.com/Search...itesearch=true

Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Interesting that those being sold under the GRS label, as the prices seem a bit high...
    Brian Steele
    www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Wow! If these have the same performance as the original BG drivers it will be quite the price reduction. The mechanical specs for the tweeter appear to be identical (within a mm) of the BG tweeter. Already thinking of buying a pair.
      "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

The membranes appear to be Kapton, with a black grill applied in the more BG-esque units. The slim tweeter looks interesting...
        Wolf
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Looks like GRS is upping their game.
          BSME
          Kannapolis NC

Comment

Guess I will have to revisit Cabrini.
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

The GRS PT6816-8 8" Planar Slim Tweeter looks perfect for some sort of line array.

Comment

If they're as similar to the BG drivers as they seem, those prices are insanely low. It's kind of crazy that one could easily make an <$200 project using these.
                Eric L.

Comment

Wasn't there some other BG like driver that got killed due to some patent infringement? Hope these are good wrt to any IP issues.
                  John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                    Wasn't there some other BG like driver that got killed due to some patent infringement? Hope these are good wrt to any IP issues.
                    I was wondering if GRS licensed the IP, the patent expired or if they are simply ignoring the IP. Remember the ill fated Dayton dimpled dome?
                    "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

Originally posted by Krillin View Post
                      The GRS PT6816-8 8" Planar Slim Tweeter looks perfect for some sort of line array.
                      They really are enticing based upon specs and usability but the hump on the low end needs some attention and the long rising FR needs to be quelled in order to make them usable.

That is gonna take some design/parts and money.

Any thoughts on actually employing them in a 2 way design?

Additionally, they are 8" tall so placing them on a baffle introduces some dimensional issues but they *could* be placed off of the woofer baffle to the side I suppose and angled as necessary towards the listeners' ears.

So many trade-off's, so little time to spend on deciding which are good and which are bad ones to make . . .

Their FR is and impedance make me want to jump on them though . . . .

Comment

I was very excited to see these in the latest email from PE. I have been accumulating BG Neo3pdr and Neo8pdr drivers for a line array when I found them used at good prices. With the prices on these new GRS drivers, I feel like the value of my stock is suddenly diminished. I have seen drivers just like these on aliexpress so it is great that PE brought them in for local shipping. The manufacturer of the BG Neo series has apparently jacked prices up sky high, so good to see some competition. Now the question is how they compare head to head. The slim 8" is a new design that would be interesting to compare in a line array against the discontinued RD75.

Comment

Originally posted by gworrel View Post
                          I was very excited to see these in the latest email from PE. I have been accumulating BG Neo3pdr and Neo8pdr drivers for a line array when I found them used at good prices. With the prices on these new GRS drivers, I feel like the value of my stock is suddenly diminished. I have seen drivers just like these on aliexpress so it is great that PE brought them in for local shipping. The manufacturer of the BG Neo series has apparently jacked prices up sky high, so good to see some competition. Now the question is how they compare head to head. The slim 8" is a new design that would be interesting to compare in a line array against the discontinued RD75.
                          I've got one of the neo 8, slim 8 and neo 10 GRS drivers here to test against original BG drivers. Just waiting on the Radian LMK8 to arrive and I'll measure them all for comparison purposes.

Greg

Comment

I really want to duplicate a set of Dan N's Esoteric (sans the TL tweeter) and with a pair of TC Sounds TC+2 12" woofers. I was discouraged by the high price of the BG planars so this makes such a project a possibility again!

Comment

Echelons, not Esoterics.
                              Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Working...
                              X