Amplifiers....what do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
    If the TLdesign was a Voigt TQWT, it would likely be a very large cabinet and maybe not very attractive, but a TL cabinet doesn't have to be ugly. I've attached a Photo Gallery of 12 of my TL builds. Some are ML-TLs and some are negatively-tapered TLs. All of the tapered TLs are single-fold designs so that the line has a length of twice the cabinet height resulting in line lengths of 5 to 6 feet or more. Some of the ML-TLs also have a single-fold line, but in others they don't and with the line length simply being the internal height of the cabinet. All of my designs have external heights in the 38- to 40-inch range. I hope that some of what I show would have reasonable WAF.
    Paul
    TL Photo Gallery.pdf TL Photo Gallery.pdf

Paul, they look beautiful, both in design and workmanship.

And judging by the awards that they have garnered, they sound great too.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
      Then you might be happy to know that Dennis is back at it and will soon be releasing a 3-way MTM floorstander with the same woofer as in the Phil 3. I designed the enclosure for this new speaker but it's not truly a TL but a ported design optimized by using TL design techniques and Martin King's software. It is really close to the Phil 3's performance. Philharmonic Audio has not re-emerged, however, but you can visit his site to catch up. Also you can visit the AVS speaker forum and the long manufacturer's thread for Philharmonic Audio to catch up.
      Paul

Glad to hear Dennis is back in the game, as long as he doesn't over do things. Just out to the Murphy Blaster site and his comment link appears to be broken. You don't happen to have the long Philharmonics URL, do you? Since Windows 10 upgraded me to a version that will no longer run MathCad I am without access to Mr. King's worksheets. A big disappointments that puts me out of the TL design game.
      Ed
      If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
      ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

Here's the link to Philharmonic Audio: http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/ Dennis has introduced two new speakers, both of which were created for the Asian marketplace and are manufactured there, but are now being made available for distribution in the USA.

Originally posted by bungelow_ed View Post

Glad to hear Dennis is back in the game, as long as he doesn't over do things. Just out to the Murphy Blaster site and his comment link appears to be broken. You don't happen to have the long Philharmonics URL, do you? Since Windows 10 upgraded me to a version that will no longer run MathCad I am without access to Mr. King's worksheets. A big disappointments that puts me out of the TL design game.
        Ed

Comment

Originally posted by bungelow_ed View Post

Ed
          I jumped into some TL design stuff about 2 years ago, and with the help of Paul K, Martin King and some posted tutorials, I'm now pretty comfortable with HornResp software.
          If you want to try it, PM me and I'll send you some getting started docs.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I'm gonna try to get this back on track: I've got a 4 way active open baffle setup and I'm running 3 Sonamp Sa260's on the midbass, mids, and tweeters. I'm running a QSC GX300 on the woofers and a Sonance SA275SE mono bridged on the 2 bass shakers I have on my sofa.

The SA260's and SA275's are a bargain on the 'bay. Good clean power for not a lot of money. Notice that I do have a QSC doing the heavy lifting. Overall I've got about $1800USD (for everything) in equipment. World class sound doesn't have to cost a fortune.

Comment

I use a number of amps, but in my systems I still prefer Class-AB amplifiers over Class-D. I use an Aragon A2004, an Emotiva TA-100, and a Chinese-built 2x LM1875 amplifier (which I especially like among the cheap amps I have).

I have a few other expensive-ish amps, like a Job 225 and a Hafler 9270, but I buy most of my gear used or on available employee discounts. I also have a number of Class-D chip amps, which I still think are neato.
              Last edited by Rory Buszka; 10-09-2020, 08:39 PM.
              Technology in the service of art, for the life of the music.

Comment

G.A.S. son of ampzilla and grandson are my amps of choice. They sound "tube like" and can drive a "short". They are Bongiorno designs and I'm the original owner.
                Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Working...
                X