• Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you don't mind used, usaudiomartdotcom or audiogonedotcom
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

The PO has already said he does not want to re-cap an older amp.

FWIW, Audiogon site has been infected several times. Be sure you are running good protection software. I use Malewarebytes and Avast.

Had not looked in a while, but gad what people are asking. Used electronics should go for 1/4 ( tradein) to 1/2 retail. Less if it is not respected. Half the listings are darn near mail order new prices!

Comment

thanks!

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

My 2200s and XLR cables, awaiting Schiit DAC.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0016.JPG Views:	0 Size:	798.0 KB ID:	1454421

For Don, huge flat toroid, very heavy amp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	508.5 KB
ID:	1454438
          Last edited by djg; 10-15-2020, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
            My 2200s and XLR cables, awaiting Schiit DAC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	798.0 KB
ID:	1454421
            WOW. Seriously digging the low profile.

"As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

• djg
              djg commented
              Editing a comment
              I added a pic just for you.

Maybe of concern, maybe not, but the "low profile" is why my Z3 amp has such bad power artifacts. Flat not enough space for enough capacitor. Not being hard on Outlaw, very good rep, nit physics is physics.

Comment

Originally posted by tvrgeek View Post
            Maybe of concern, maybe not, but the "low profile" is why my Z3 amp has such bad power artifacts. Flat not enough space for enough capacitor. Not being hard on Outlaw, very good rep, nit physics is physics.
            And any amp should have enough cooling to run, say, 3/4 power for an hour or two without cooking.
            I smoked two PE DTA amps. No cooling slots, and a suspect connection to the case bottom "heat sink"

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

On electrolytic caps, Forgot to mention. Look at the cap specs. You may find, depending on value, the ESR to differ by 2 or 3 times. For some values, a 63V may be half a 50V. A 25 much higher. Of course paralleling multiple will give lower too if you have the space.

Comment

It occurred to me, the difference between an "AUDIO" DAC and one of the portable recording IO boxes may be the ability to sense the incoming bit stream. My Focusrite can be set to 24/96K, but I believe you have to set it. ( Version 3 does 24/196 and just reading about the MOTU box that is even lower noise, uses the Saber 32 Ultra DAC) THe instructions for them make no mention of this and they have no display of the rates.

Comment

Much reading on DACs. I did not know Windows only supports synchronous USB Profile 1. So this is why newer DACs have custom drivers, to communicate for Profile 2 asynchronous mode, So it is now clear how toslink or native Windows can cause jitter. This could explain some of the higher distortion I was measuring, but not the two big spurious spikes. Again, shame of SMSL for not talking about the driver.

Another hint is the new USB 3 rated cables wil have a more consistent impedance in the center twisted pair where some cheap cables are not even twisted. Tripp Lite was one good brand mentioned. Seems a $7 cable may be worth it.

I think I wil order a E30. I can use my upgrades to the Muse 12V supply as the raw supply for a really good 5Volt one.

Comment

I'm interested in what you think of the Outlaw, please report back.

I've been reading a lot over at ASR and they seem to have a lot of people in the all amps sound the same camp. What are y'alls thoughts on that?

Comment

The current Outlaw monoblocks are a newer model than what ASR reviewed and what I own. Different mfr.

Comment

Originally posted by AudioSQ View Post
                        I'm interested in what you think of the Outlaw, please report back.

I've been reading a lot over at ASR and they seem to have a lot of people in the all amps sound the same camp. What are y'alls thoughts on that?
                        Only people who can't hear. I can tell the difference right away between VAS loading and Miller compensation if less that excellent tweeters, and a little more careful listening I can tell on good tweeters. As a simple difference, between a Rotel 800 series and a Parasound. Then mod the Rotel and it sounded like the Parasound. Haflers, and built to my redesign, AB, I can tell but of course, doing it I would "believe" but my wife, who cares not just listens, can identify 100% every time. Class D , so far as I have heard and that is obsolete, sound different and a little harsher than a clean AB. Specs do not measure the right thing, as many an amp have outstanding .00-something numbers. Just says we are not measuring the correct thing. I found the distortion profile and level across the bandwidth varies with topology and this is what interacts with the lessor tweeters making audible distortion in the midrange. That invalidated Hafler's comparing input to output test. It has to have a real speaker attached and you have to measure ultrasonic as the root cause for IM.

Now for a buffer stage, my best experience is that a modern OP-Amp is as good as any exoteric discrete costing more than a car. I so far believe one can make a DAC good enough for 100 to 200 bucks. Never heard a $10.000 DAC, but irrelevant to me anyway. I can hear the difference in a headphones amp between an NE5538 and the better newer ones, but not sure I can tell between the newer ones. Some claim to. Of course, a 741 to a TLO74 to a Signetics were big steps most can hear. Most find the Signetics good enough. Your CD probably went through 100 of them in the studio.

It is not too hard to make a very good amplifier. Even I succeeded and I am just an old lab rat not a real engineer. Unfortunately, it is also too easy for the bean counters to instruct the engineer to reduce from best practice. Not enough outputs. Too small a transformer, no CCS on the input LTP, less than optimal choice of driver transistors and so on.

Truth? It is what you can hear. Now what I hear, not what some magazine writer can claim to hear ( biased by the full page ad) and not what our fellow forum members can hear. I do have to deal with what the wife can hear. Over 40 years, I know what matters.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                          The current Outlaw monoblocks are a newer model than what ASR reviewed and what I own. Different mfr.
                          Different design, or just different job-shop?

Comment

• djg
                            djg commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Different size, different features, different model #. Now China, then Taiwan.

• Kornbread
                            Kornbread commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Aren't the Monoprice amps rebadged Outlaws?
                        Working...
                        X