Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New system in early phase

Hi all,

I have told you about this system before but now, the system is starting to materialize “in my head” and I am curious of what you think of the concept?
    I supply some pictures below:
    • Angled cabinets from existing old Swedish speakers from the late 70-ies with two 8” Woofers
    • Semi-sphere above housing a single Tweeter on small stand
    • XO in base underneath the cabinets, 2nd order 2000 Hz
    • Woofer: 2 x Dayton RS225-8 in parallel
    • Tweeter: Dayton RST28F-4

Has anyone of you any experience from using this driver-combination?

Best regards//lasse
    Stockholm, Sweden

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kabinett.jpeg
Views:	354
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	1453416 Click image for larger version

Name:	Klot.jpeg
Views:	340
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1453417 Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirsch.png
Views:	330
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	1453418
    Perry Mason talking to his dentist:

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Read this ...

Attached Files

Comment

Your "tweeter on a stand" will create some interesting vertical polar response issues. Very narrow vertical sweet spot and lots of lobing. If you're curious, boot up XDir by Tolvan and see for yourself. Unless you're a long distance from the speakers you'll hear the tweeter and woofer sections separately. That last part is the biggest problem, as far as I'm concerned. If the lobes are small enough you might not hear them, but the separated bass and treble is bound to sound weird.
      Francis

Comment

Hi and thanks for the feedback,

I´m in my cottage right now, hiding from COVID-19 but I will look at Tolvans SW when I am back in Stockholm.

Attached is a pic of the commercial product from Swedish company Mirsch, late 70ies. Expensive and well regarded but I haven´t heard it.

Do you think that I will be in a better place with a traditional layout, 1 Wo+ 1Tw on each baffle??

Regards//Lasse Click image for larger version

Name:	Rund högtalare fr Mirsch.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1453611

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Comment

Originally posted by lasse View Post
          Hi and thanks for the feedback,

I´m in my cottage right now, hiding from COVID-19 but I will look at Tolvans SW when I am back in Stockholm.

Attached is a pic of the commercial product from Swedish company Mirsch, late 70ies. Expensive and well regarded but I haven´t heard it.

Do you think that I will be in a better place with a traditional layout, 1 Wo+ 1Tw on each baffle??

Regards//Lasse Click image for larger version  Name:	Rund högtalare fr Mirsch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.7 KB ID:	1453611
          Well, I would choose a more traditional layout. But there is no accounting for individual preference, and I haven't heard it, either. I'll note that few other manufacturers walked down that path. If that's a subwoofer in the base, and the remaining drivers are in the sphere, then it's essentially a satellite speaker permanently attached to the sub. The disadvantage there is that subs are usually located in a different spot than the satellites.
          Francis

Comment

Read the RS Duets write up. The RS255s need a high order low pass filter to reach a frequency that meets the tweeter while also damping it's distortion above 2K Hz.

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
              Read the RS Duets write up. The RS255s need a high order low pass filter to reach a frequency that meets the tweeter while also damping it's distortion above 2K Hz.
              Hi,
              so the RS225s are essetially unsuitable for traditional 2-ways with lower order XOs?( like 2nd order)

Comment

Hi,
                My latest post was a bit short so I elaborate on that a bit.

The "thing" is that I have used Dayton woofers (RS225-8 and RS270-8) in 3-ways, crossed at abt 200-300 Hz, before and found them being very good indeed, and especially for the price.

Now, I´m in the process of choosing a woofer for a 2-way, preferrally a 8" crossed around 1500-2000 Hz 2nd order (if possible taken the tweeter into consideration).

I, admiitedly without much thinking, thought that the RS225 would be good but I think that you tell me that this driver has breakup modes and distortion if you let it go up to abt 2000 Hz, so:

What do you suggest?
                • A steeper XO? 4th order?
                • A different driver, acceptable up to 2000 Hz?
                • In that case, which one?

And finally:
                • Do you strongly advice against the "round-tweeter-housing" idea? (Is there any thoughts from anyone of you that actually has tested this idea?)

Best regards//lasse
                Stockholm, Sweden

Comment

Hi,
                  so the RS225s are essetially unsuitable for traditional 2-ways with lower order XOs?( like 2nd order)
                  My apologies. I thought I attached the RS-Duets write-up (pdf) but I see it's not in my original post. Trying again to attach it now ...

RS_duet_writeup.pdf

Comment

You did attach my write-up in your original post as well as in this one. I was able to open it there and here.
                    Paul

My apologies. I thought I attached the RS-Duets write-up (pdf) but I see it's not in my original post. Trying again to attach it now ...

[ATTACH]n1453726[/ATTACH]

Comment

I wouldn't use anything larger than the RS180 in a 2 way, lots of success with that one.
                      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                      Wogg Music
                      Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

What about considering a different Dayton woofer, perhaps the paper RS225P-8A

Regards//lasse

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                          You did attach my write-up in your original post as well as in this one. I was able to open it there and here.
                          Paul

Funny, I don't see it in my original post.

Comment

Funny, I don't see it in my original post.
                            I see it in a rectangle below the text, entitled "Attached Files".
                            Francis

Comment

I'm not trying to push you to somewhere you don't want to go or toot my own horn, but the RS225-8 and RS28F-4 performed very well indeed in my RS duets, but a high-order crossover was necessary for obvious reasons. The drivers are crossed at 1400 Hz with quasi-8th order slopes, comfortably mitigating upper frequency resonances from the RS225 and preventing over-excursion of the RS28. The floor-standing enclosure has a gross volume of 1.6 ft3 (45 liters) tuned to 29 Hz and resulting in an f3 of 32 Hz. With this design there's no problem whatsoever with using an 8" woofer in a 2-way. Please do read my write-up that has been attached by Millstonemike if for no other reasons than to satisfy your curiosity while perhaps answering some of your questions.
                              Paul

Hi,
                              My latest post was a bit short so I elaborate on that a bit.

The "thing" is that I have used Dayton woofers (RS225-8 and RS270-8) in 3-ways, crossed at abt 200-300 Hz, before and found them being very good indeed, and especially for the price.

Now, I´m in the process of choosing a woofer for a 2-way, preferrally a 8" crossed around 1500-2000 Hz 2nd order (if possible taken the tweeter into consideration).

I, admiitedly without much thinking, thought that the RS225 would be good but I think that you tell me that this driver has breakup modes and distortion if you let it go up to abt 2000 Hz, so:

What do you suggest?
                              • A steeper XO? 4th order?
                              • A different driver, acceptable up to 2000 Hz?
                              • In that case, which one?

And finally:
                              • Do you strongly advice against the "round-tweeter-housing" idea? (Is there any thoughts from anyone of you that actually has tested this idea?)

Best regards//lasse
                              Stockholm, Sweden

Comment

Working...
                              X