Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marvin
    replied
    Lasse, Curt Campbell did a spherical design some years ago. You can read his write up here:

http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Exclamations.html

Leave a comment:

• critofur
    replied
    Check this this thread (and others) out : http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...RS28a-RS225-MT

Before you listen to folks saying the RS225 isn't good for a two way... It is possible, to make a great 2-way speaker w/the RS225-4.

EDIT: Also, consider, perhaps, a waveguide for the RS28 tweeter, if building a 2-way w/8" woofer?

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied
    The distance between the tweeter and mid, or woofer needs to be kept reasonably short. When they are too far apart, the response goes crazy on the vertical axis. If you use PCD, you can see this effect. When drivers are close, there is still a null vertically around 45 degrees. Spread them apart, and there may be multiple nulls.

Leave a comment:

• lasse
    replied
    Actually, I can´t find any function in Xdir, adressing a "semi-spherical" baffle. Or am I missing someting here?

Regards//lasse

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
    Your "tweeter on a stand" will create some interesting vertical polar response issues. Very narrow vertical sweet spot and lots of lobing. If you're curious, boot up XDir by Tolvan and see for yourself. Unless you're a long distance from the speakers you'll hear the tweeter and woofer sections separately. That last part is the biggest problem, as far as I'm concerned. If the lobes are small enough you might not hear them, but the separated bass and treble is bound to sound weird.

Leave a comment:

• lasse
    replied
    And I see the link in post #2

Leave a comment:

• lasse
    replied
    Hi all,
    thanks for the write-up on the duets!

I have read it and downloaded it on my Phone and on my computer
    I am confident that you are right in that this driver is Quite unsuitable for a low-order crossing at abt 1500-2000 Hz and I thank you all for explaining that to me. Without that, I Would have gone Down the wrong road.

What I Will have to do now is to decide on What driver to choose and wonder of a paper 8” could work at 1500 Hz?

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    Originally posted by fpitas View Post

I see it in a rectangle below the text, entitled "Attached Files".
    Maybe a S/W glitch because it's my post. I don't see it in my original post right after Lasse started the topic.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Post.png
Views:	171
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1453777

Leave a comment:

• Paul K.
    replied
    I'm not trying to push you to somewhere you don't want to go or toot my own horn, but the RS225-8 and RS28F-4 performed very well indeed in my RS duets, but a high-order crossover was necessary for obvious reasons. The drivers are crossed at 1400 Hz with quasi-8th order slopes, comfortably mitigating upper frequency resonances from the RS225 and preventing over-excursion of the RS28. The floor-standing enclosure has a gross volume of 1.6 ft3 (45 liters) tuned to 29 Hz and resulting in an f3 of 32 Hz. With this design there's no problem whatsoever with using an 8" woofer in a 2-way. Please do read my write-up that has been attached by Millstonemike if for no other reasons than to satisfy your curiosity while perhaps answering some of your questions.
    Paul

Originally posted by lasse View Post
    Hi,
    My latest post was a bit short so I elaborate on that a bit.

The "thing" is that I have used Dayton woofers (RS225-8 and RS270-8) in 3-ways, crossed at abt 200-300 Hz, before and found them being very good indeed, and especially for the price.

Now, I´m in the process of choosing a woofer for a 2-way, preferrally a 8" crossed around 1500-2000 Hz 2nd order (if possible taken the tweeter into consideration).

I, admiitedly without much thinking, thought that the RS225 would be good but I think that you tell me that this driver has breakup modes and distortion if you let it go up to abt 2000 Hz, so:

What do you suggest?
    • A steeper XO? 4th order?
    • A different driver, acceptable up to 2000 Hz?
    • In that case, which one?

And finally:
    • Do you strongly advice against the "round-tweeter-housing" idea? (Is there any thoughts from anyone of you that actually has tested this idea?)

Best regards//lasse
    Stockholm, Sweden

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

Funny, I don't see it in my original post.
    I see it in a rectangle below the text, entitled "Attached Files".

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
    You did attach my write-up in your original post as well as in this one. I was able to open it there and here.
    Paul

Funny, I don't see it in my original post.

Leave a comment:

• lasse
    replied
    What about considering a different Dayton woofer, perhaps the paper RS225P-8A

Regards//lasse

Leave a comment:

• wogg
    replied
    I wouldn't use anything larger than the RS180 in a 2 way, lots of success with that one.

Leave a comment:

• Paul K.
    replied
    You did attach my write-up in your original post as well as in this one. I was able to open it there and here.
    Paul

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

My apologies. I thought I attached the RS-Duets write-up (pdf) but I see it's not in my original post. Trying again to attach it now ...

[ATTACH]n1453726[/ATTACH]

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    Originally posted by lasse View Post

Hi,
    so the RS225s are essetially unsuitable for traditional 2-ways with lower order XOs?( like 2nd order)
    My apologies. I thought I attached the RS-Duets write-up (pdf) but I see it's not in my original post. Trying again to attach it now ...

RS_duet_writeup.pdf

Leave a comment:

• lasse
    replied
    Hi,
    My latest post was a bit short so I elaborate on that a bit.

The "thing" is that I have used Dayton woofers (RS225-8 and RS270-8) in 3-ways, crossed at abt 200-300 Hz, before and found them being very good indeed, and especially for the price.

Now, I´m in the process of choosing a woofer for a 2-way, preferrally a 8" crossed around 1500-2000 Hz 2nd order (if possible taken the tweeter into consideration).

I, admiitedly without much thinking, thought that the RS225 would be good but I think that you tell me that this driver has breakup modes and distortion if you let it go up to abt 2000 Hz, so:

What do you suggest?
    • A steeper XO? 4th order?
    • A different driver, acceptable up to 2000 Hz?
    • In that case, which one?

And finally:
    • Do you strongly advice against the "round-tweeter-housing" idea? (Is there any thoughts from anyone of you that actually has tested this idea?)

Best regards//lasse
    Stockholm, Sweden

Leave a comment:

Working...
X