Tritrix Amplifier Choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    Rickie Lee Jones has a recording or 2 that have +30dB dynamic range....

Yeah- +6dB is not enough.
    Wolf
    Yes, it's easy to understand why you need a few hundred watts available to do a proper job with cone speakers.
    Francis

Comment

If the OP finds his lone APA150 is short on power, he can buy another and bridge them.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
        If the OP finds his lone APA150 is short on power, he can buy another and bridge them.
        Well, that's why I asked about the room size and typical listening level. 150W may be fine.
        Francis

Comment

It all comes down to how much cash you are going to spend, and that vital information was not given...

Comment

Curious, some of the most expensive amps made are low power.

AH! UPS. My power supply caps are here so I can get to work.

Comment

Working on overkill, current best practice ideas. Still researching.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1454500

Comment

Many of us 60-somethings brought back 60-80 WPC channel receivers from PX's and used them for 40+ years (or longer) until power surges or lighting strikes took out parts we couldn't replace due to age. Some of us brought back "monster" Sansui and Pioneer 110-150 WPC amps or receivers that were the weight limit we could ship home and often we'd still be using the huge things if it wasn't for the wife factor relegating them to the garage. Yeah, they are STILL that good! They may need a dial light or three and a good scrubbing, but you can spend a grand (or three) and not top their sound. Discreet transistor amps often had "reserve power" that modern "chip amps" don't have. It's really in the power supply section, which is the expensive part, just like your computer. Brand ABC often sells three or four "levels" of amps/receivers at different "price points". Cheap one sells at Worst Buy and says it's "100 watts per channel" just like the one that sells for five times the price from the fancy audio store or on-line place, and the five X price ABC brand connected to a GOOD speaker (like the Tritrix) amazingly sounds SO much better at the same loudness than the cheap version playing the same streamed music. The cheap amp is designed to make good "specs" playing "test tones" for the sales book: The pricey one is designed to play MUSIC. I think the Parts Express APA 150 is much more a music maker than a "spec maker". My tiny living room (12 1/2 x 14 1/2 x 9 1/2) doesn't need much power. You can get great values on refurbished receivers (often last years model) from several on-line dealers. Since I worked for a while re-furbishing Lowrance Fish-Lo-Kators for a living, I can honestly tell you the units I worked on were BETTER than new. I not only fixed them, I re-engineered the defective circuits to NEVER fail again, and usually, cause production changes in the production line to prevent any more units from being returned. When I saw thirty of the same model returned from the same bad capacitor, it didn't take Einstein to deduce that cap wasn't up to the job. I wish you the best of luck find what you want.

Ricky-Pooh

Comment

• tvrgeek
                  tvrgeek commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, with 10 years doing failure analysis I have to toss a flag on "never fail again". Improved? Sure. Fixed mistakes? Excellent. Electronics fail eventually. Just physics. They will fail sooner if under-designed.

Francis,
                I know the amp for you. An older Creek integrated. FET/MOSFET. Very sweet. 35W. They do need an output mute relay though.

Ricky,
                For less that the equivalent price of the big old Kenwoods* or Sansuai's of the past, I can get a vastly better modern integrated. I can get one vastly worse too. What you can't buy now for about any price is a decent tuner like the best Sansui or Denon analog or the best of the Kenwood digitals. But then again, I only listen to FM in my car. ( I do still have a good Kenwood) Some of the very best receivers were the second generation 70's and 80s. Rotel, NAD, etc. I bought a bottom of the line 70's 35W Denon and it blew the doors off my dad's 60 era Kenwood 55W he brought back from a TDY.

By the mid-80's we could build as good an amp as we can now. Differences are now features, technology, packaging, methods of marketing, but for absolute performance, we have made no progress in amplifiers. Big advances in A2D and D2A, but I think we have reached that plateau too. Soon even class D may be the equal. Storage medium is not better than the source. ( 24 bit, 192K for a source that was mastered on a 14 bit Sony?) Speakers get better every year ( some). I really want to try the new SB ceramic drivers.

What we have lost is "feel". Little chicklet buttons can't compare with the weight and feel from an old Luxman, Nak or even Pioneer separates from the70's. That is my only complaint about my OPPO. Terrible little open tray button.

*Some of the best Kenwoods were actually chip amps. Surprise! I am NOT diss-ng them. They were and remain decent gear ( if you re-cap them) but don't confuse nostalgia and what you are use to with actual quality.

Comment

Originally posted by tvrgeek View Post
                  Francis,
                  I know the amp for you. An older Creek integrated. FET/MOSFET. Very sweet. 35W. They do need an output mute relay though.
                  Thanks, but the J2 is filling the need. It has no turn-on thump, which is perfect for delicate diaphragms. Well, I measured about 1mA average at turn-on. Good enough. Being a horn fan, Mr. Pass told me he had horns in mind when designing it. And the other amps have to power cone speakers, so they're good for hundreds of watts.
                  Francis

Comment

So, which amp for OP's Tritrix?

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                      So, which amp for OP's Tritrix?
                      I'm not sure he told us some vital info. Like room size, listening level/habits, and budget.
                      Francis

Comment

Neither the most excellent J2 or the Creek. If it were my money, I would buy a Parasound 2125 for $600.

Comment

Neither the most excellent J2 or the Creek. If it were my money, I would buy a Parasound 2125 for $600.
                          Crossover distortion. Class AB is a bad idea for a horn, you'll hear every last bit of it.
                          Francis

Comment

Well, you DO leave yourself open on that one, but I will refrain and suggest a well designed amp does not suffer from such issues.

Comment

Well, you DO leave yourself open on that one, but I will refrain and suggest a well designed amp does not suffer from such issues.
                              Uhm...if you say so.
                              Francis

Comment

Working...
                              X