DAC shaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harvylogan View Post
    All of my CD, BR players and discs are in storage in the attic. I struggled with this for a long time. Years. But when I turned 60 I found myself spending more time searching for CDs, songs and movies than I did listening or watching. Sometimes I never found what I was looking for. I have hundreds of CDs and have never been very organized. For that reason I bought a good DAC and a subscription to Tidal and I also have Netflix and Amazon Prime. No Cable. Just internet. Like I said I struggled with The decision for a long time but to be clear @ 62 years old my ears cannot tell the difference and the convenience is well worth it to me. I have never looked back.
    This might be of interest to you:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ia#post1457035
    "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
    of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
    - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
    A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
    (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

Chinese amp cases (from China). Arrived very quickly in the context of shipped from China. Fairly good quality, thick front face. For the Amp Camp Amps. Some scuffs and dings on some inside surfaces, exterior very nice. Haven't checked out the hardware. I'll do a thread when the parts kits arrive (January). About $60 each, Amazon Prime. Free shipping.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	1457105

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	442.4 KB
ID:	1457106

Name:	IMG_0007.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	763.2 KB
ID:	1457107

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	878.8 KB
ID:	1457108

Comment

• a4eaudio
        a4eaudio commented
        Editing a comment
        Just a suggestion... There is much less on Talk Talk than Diyaudio.com with respect to amps. If you are going to build the Amp Camp amps and are willing to document it you should start a separate thread. I've thought about the F5 several times but have yet to pull the trigger. Maybe your build will finally get me over the edge.

[Edit: My Bad! I read your post on my phone and completely missed that you had said that. Doh!]

• djg
        djg commented
        Editing a comment
        That's my plan as stated. This is a DAC thread, just threw some pics up because I had mentioned this project earlier in this thread, and these cases arrived much sooner than expected. DIYaudio says parts kits in January.

Got my Magni/Modi combo last week - went with the Heresy variation. Pretty happy with the combo for headphone listening at the computer. Made a little stand out of some scrap walnut and BB ply - looks pretty sitting on the desk
      See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

• djg
        djg commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice little stand.

• Derekj
        Derekj commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I made one for the Modius/Magnius/Asgard as well.

• djg
        djg commented
        Editing a comment
        Throw a picture up if you don't mind. My Modius sits on the two Outlaw amps. They barely get warm.

Sweet. Just be sure they both get plenty of airflow. Hot little buggers.

Comment

djg This one has Rosewood legs. The finish went on too thick so it needs to be sanded down and touched up.
        See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

• djg
          djg commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. Very elegant. DIYing little projects like this is very satisfying.

• Derekj
          Derekj commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I made a matching stand for my headphones too😁

Don't be shamed by using a cheap DACs many cheaper DACs outperform more expensive "exotic" ones.

Comment

Working...
        X