Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade? Peerless DX25BG60-04 vs Peerless DX25TG59-04 /Active Crossover-48db @1900hrz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade? Peerless DX25BG60-04 vs Peerless DX25TG59-04 /Active Crossover-48db @1900hrz

Howdy,
    Is the DX25BG60-04 an upgrade over the DX25TG59-04 when used in an active system with high (48db/LR8) slope crossed at 1900hrz.

I ending up making a sort of odd speaker for fun out of an Dayton Audio PA200-8 and that DX25TG59, the sound is really excellent at low to medium-high volume. At high volume the tweet seems a bit stressed. Since the DX25BG60-04 drops right into the exact cutout already made, I am wondering if it would handle meeting that 8" at 1900 (LR8 active) better when listening at high volume.
    Or do I need to look at completely different drivers?

I appreciate any input. Hope all are well.

https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...-ohm--264-1478

https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...eter--264-1020

Yes, the BG60 is a beast. Not sure the crossover will translate, and even though you are running an active 8th LR you should seriously consider adding a passive LCR comp centered on the tweeters FS. That might actually help the lesser DX25 quite a bit.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

XT25 distortion is high if used below 3K. Your choice of course.

Comment

Originally posted by tvrgeek View Post
        Incorrect. Please stop this.
        This thread is not even ABOUT the XT25...
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Who hurt you?

Comment

Miss-read the number. My mistake.

As far as my position GO MEASURRE THEM YOURSELF. I did. John Kuntz did. I listened to them. They are superb if crossed high. They are horrible if low. I can hear it. My wife can hear it. They flat do not have the surface area.

I have also used the DX25TG59-04 and found it t be fairly high distortion.

Comment

As far as my position GO MEASURRE THEM YOURSELF. I did. John Kuntz did. I listened to them. They are superb if crossed high. They are horrible if low. I can hear it. My wife can hear it. They flat do not have the surface area.

Howdy, I am trying to gather information.
              I do appreciate that in the end measuring them would be best.
              ...just don't want to buy them if there is not really feedback suggesting that they are truly worth it. Trying to save a little work here. .

I am not sure who John Kuntz is. So far I have not found measurements for the DX25BG60 - only the DX25TG59, they are quite different. If you have a link for those DX25TG60 measurements I would really appreciate it!
              Last edited by ROOSKIE; 11-13-2020, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                Yes, the BG60 is a beast. Not sure the crossover will translate, and even though you are running an active 8th LR you should seriously consider adding a passive LCR comp centered on the tweeters FS. That might actually help the lesser DX25 quite a bit.
                Thanks, it looks like a beastie visually.
                Adding some passive components into the mix is an interesting idea.

I am using those 48db active slopes and the driver is pretty far down by FS, I am controlling the system via miniDSP. I could PEQ the tweeter and essentially create a brick wall style filter/ or just PEQ a notch filter around the FS. IYHO would that be a replacement for the electrical filter? Again I can do all this pretty easily via the DSP (and am willing to do it via passive components) I respect any thoughts you have.

edit, P.S. Ultimately really just wondering how low the bigger tweet can be crossed (DX25BG60) as I can tweak the system via miniDSP fairly easily. Before I buy a pair I am hoping someone else has used them below 2k with good results (or measured that they would likely do such things) as I think the DX25TG59 is stressed meeting that 8. (actually I would be stocked if the "60" could go to even 1500-1600.
                Last edited by ROOSKIE; 11-13-2020, 10:02 PM.

Comment

OP-
                  All of the XT or DX are good tweeters if used correctly.

tvr-
                  I don't know who John Kuntz is either. Do you mean John Krutke? Yes- he measured a tweeter. He did not measure a tweeter plus xover network. Application matters!
                  (If so this relates to your abysmal spelling and referenced names when it counts. I bet I saw D' Appolito misspelled about 10 different ways.)

And yes- I heard it too- until I used an LCR!!!! I keep saying this over and over, as have others, and you are still stating incorrect information.

OP-
                  With a proper xover consisting of SOME KIND OF Fs COMP, these are all acceptable forms of tweeter and perform admirably.

Later,
                  Wolf
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I have the DX25BG60-04 in a 2-way with a 5" Tang Band woofer crossed over at 1800Hz with 2nd order electrical passive crossover and think it sounds great. It was demo'd at MWAF and DIY event at Grand Rapids and the general reception was that it sounded good. Doesn't answer your question of how it would compare to your current tweeter, but the DX25BG60-04 is quite nice.

Comment

Hi.

Here it is crossed around 2,000 Hz LR2 @ 1m to an RS125P. I MEASURED IT MYSELF!
                      It has an LCR compensation circuit.
                      It sounds very nice. Even my wife says so.
                      These audiophile phrases are tired and nobody cares.

Cheers!
                      Greg

Comment

Thanks, Greg! I can even see the higher HD of the midbass in your measurement there below 2kHz.
                        Proof posted!
                        Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
                          I have the DX25BG60-04 in a 2-way with a 5" Tang Band woofer crossed over at 1800Hz with 2nd order electrical passive crossover and think it sounds great.
                          I still say those are a dynamite 2-way, Dave! Seamless, smooth, and dynamic; Sherlocks are a great design!
                          Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                            OP-
                            All of the XT or DX are good tweeters if used correctly.

tvr-
                            I don't know who John Kuntz is either. Do you mean John Krutke? Yes- he measured a tweeter. He did not measure a tweeter plus xover network. Application matters!
                            (If so this relates to your abysmal spelling and referenced names when it counts. I bet I saw D' Appolito misspelled about 10 different ways.)

And yes- I heard it too- until I used an LCR!!!! I keep saying this over and over, as have others, and you are still stating incorrect information.

OP-
                            With a proper xover consisting of SOME KIND OF Fs COMP, these are all acceptable forms of tweeter and perform admirably.

Later,
                            Wolf
                            Wolf - this is slightly off topic. I am planning on using the XT25BG60 and my tentative crossover has a 4.7 ohm resistor across the tweeter as part of the L-pad circuit. Is that sufficient to damp the impedance peak?

Comment

OT answer- I'm not sure I would use a resistor that low in value. If you get too close to the nominal Z of the tweeter it will dump a lot of current. My typical recommendation is to try a resistor no less than half Zmax magnitude when using it for suppression of self-resonance. The TG30 hits about 25 ohms, so no less than 12 ohms for example. I don't like to have less than twice the impedance across a tweeter if I can avoid it. I prefer to pad with no more than about 8 ohms out front in combination if I can swing it. I have done single resistor padding of 15 ohms, but have never gone over that value. I've not used the BG60 myself, but I hear it is better than the TG30 in Fs magnitude. It likely is still requiring comp due to the method of diaphragm.

That help?
                              Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Working...
                              X