Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small Bookshelf Buyout Peerless 830870 with DX20BF00-04 tweeter crossover design help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Bookshelf Buyout Peerless 830870 with DX20BF00-04 tweeter crossover design help

Hello, I was looking at the deal ending today 264-1070 Peerless by Tymphany 830870 4" PPB Cone HDS Woofer and pairing it with the 264-1472 Peerless DX20BF00-04 3/4" Silk Dome Tweeter 4 Ohm which are very nice drivers with a reasonable price. I was wondering if someone with the knowledge could help with a reasonable crossover design to start with? I saw that the woofer was used in a Parts Express Project "Tiny Tym" , but with a different tweeter that is NLA.
    Thank you in advance.

That woofer deserves a better tweeter. I did the Tiny Tym. An alternative might be one of the NE25 or NE19 models, but will require a crossover rework.

Digikey, I think, still stocks that tweeter. I have a pair floating around I might be convinced to sell, as well.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Should be able to do 60Hz in a 0.20cf box w/a 1-1/4" id x 3" long port where it can take 18w before breaching Xmax @ 60Hz.

This XO should get you started -
      2nd order HP w/ L-pad attenuation: 8uF series cap, 0.50mH shunt coil (to gnd); 4n(ohm) & 3n series & parallel resistors. Normal polarity indicated.
      2nd order LP w/Zobel: 2.0mH iron-core series coil, 10uF shunt cap; Zobel = 8ohm resistor + 6uF cap.
      Crosses @ 2k. Runs near 80dB w/full baffle-step.

Comment

Thank you both.
        I am going to try the Dayton tweeter, because of the availability and price.
        I am putting together a cart and I see that 6.0 and 8.0 are not available.
        Is it OK to sub 8.2 uF and 6.2 uF?

Comment

Sure, but if you're now saying that you're going to use a 3rd tweeter ("the Dayton" is, what... the DC28??) the XO might have to change.

Comment

OOPS! I typed the wrong thing.
            I purchased 264-1472 Peerless DX20BF00-04 like I planned with 8.2 uF and 6.2 uF and the port and the same port 260-388 1 - 3/8 adjustable that Johnny used, because I did not see any 1 - 1/4 available.
            Thanks again for the help.
            I figured that I could always upgrade the tweeter if it does not work out.

Comment

I've used the DX20BF00 and wouldn't recommend crossing it over less than 3K. It's a nice tweeter at the $8 sale price, but it's only a 3/4" tweeter with an Xmax of 0.2 mm. YMMV.
              "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

Are you using the Denovo boxes?
                If so, I'd go 1-3/8" x 3" (Fb = mid 60s).
                If you're going to build a 0.20cf box, then I'd go 1-3/8" x 3-1/2" (Johnny's Fb in the mid 60s looks good to me).

Let me know if the tweeter gives you trouble. I just looked at its Fs around 850 Hz and "forgot" it was only 3/4". Still - you're attenuating it by about -10dB. (And L-pads help control it near its Z-peak @ Fs.)

Comment

I plan to build my own boxes, probably the recommended 0.20 cu ft, not really sure what I would gain going larger.

I will let you know about the tweeter.
                  thanks, again.

Comment

Originally posted by iglow01gt View Post
                    I plan to build my own boxes, probably the recommended 0.20 cu ft, not really sure what I would gain going larger.

I will let you know about the tweeter.
                    thanks, again.
                    Bigger box gives you more room to squeeze in the x-over, and possibly lets you use some large round-overs.

Comment

Working...
                    X