Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free crossover from inside speaker cabinet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free crossover from inside speaker cabinet?

I'm trying to free the crossover inside an old Boston Acoustics VR40 cabinet so that I can check the tweeter cap. First time at this.

The crossover is assembled on a thin board that appears to be hot-melt glued to the back of the inside of one of the smaller woofer chambers. I don't quite know how to get a tool in there to free it as there is not a lot of clearance on either side to reach in and push on the board from the side.

What's the simplest/safest way to free this board?

thanks,

Chances are you have to remove a driver or two to access the inside of the cab.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Thanks for the comment, yeah I got access to the board by removing the woofer.

The problem is that the board isn't attached with screws or an easily disconnected attachment device.

As near as I can guess I would need to shock the board enough to break the hot melt holding it to the inside back wall of the cabinet.

If I do that, I am concerned that I might break the wiring on the crossover network more than I need do.

Comment

Try a heat gun. Possibly from the outside, the backside of whatever surface the board is attached to, or direct into the interior. Hot glue doesn't need super hot temp to soften.

Comment

• AEIOU
          AEIOU commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent suggestion.

I've read that rubbing alcohol and acetone also work. I'd be careful to not dissolve the caps, though.
        Francis

Comment

Ah, isn't it lovely, some of the sloppiest crossovers ever!

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF0910.jpg Views:	0 Size:	580.0 KB ID:	1457083

Comment

Try using a hot nichrome wire looped around the board and pulled through the glue.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screwdriver.png
Views:	56
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1457098

Comment

Working...
              X