• Show
Clear All

• portlandjosh
    replied
    Wavecor wf120bd04

Leave a comment:

• tvrgeek
    replied
    Those are indeed nasty plots. I had some QC problems with a pair of RS150-4 drivers I bought, but I was able to work around them.

Leave a comment:

• hex168
    replied
    The RS52 has been measured to have some QC problems. Until that is cleared up, I'd avoid that driver:
    http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...s52#post636858

Leave a comment:

• tvrgeek
    replied
    Well, ordered a 27TBCD and will test it first. If it's distortion knee is low enough, that wil be a help with any of the woofers I picked as they all have bumps in distortion and breakup to deal with.

Leave a comment:

• tvrgeek
    replied
    That one might just squeak by if using one of the less efficient mid-bass. CSS maybe. Just not efficient enough for the woofers I have in mind. I guess an excuse for bi amping, but not for this project.
    Their CSD plot is kind of misleading as it stops at -30. Should go to -40 at a minimum.

Making progress in using ARTA to get CSD plots. Settings not right yet. I do have some graphs showing tweeters producing sub-harmonics though. So not a rumor to me now. Playing with just a 27TDFC and an HDS. so a pretty poor driver and a half decent one except for the 4 dB dip @ 7K! My test panel is not sufficient for 1M testing. May go to 1/2. As bad as I think the TDCF is, it was vastly better than the Vifas I had in the box first. $25 somethings. Tossed years ago.

Pretty sure I will skip the 3-way and use the SS 6 inchers for the mains and the 5's for the center. I can cross that to either a couple of Seas choices or still have my eye on the Peerless ceramic. I have time to change my mind as most of the decent SB drivers are out of stock. The 5 1/2 Wavetek looks like it work work too. Any are going to push the LF distortion knee down over my 4 1/2 ( RS150 Daytons) LF response I don't need, it is all about distortion. I f I redo th eliving room, I was thinking about the CSS driver, so the B100 may be viable.

Leave a comment:

• Billet
    replied
    The Visaton B100 possibly? A 4" full range with good efficiency and overall specs. Very flat impedance curve! PE sells them, but the spec sheet is on Visaton's site.

Leave a comment:

• tvrgeek
    replied
    Looking for midrange roughly 1000 to 3000 or 4000. Use with 7 or 5 inch mid woofers. Small room HT, not a big PA. Some have very good performance, but low efficiency so unless bi-amping, very hard to use. An example is the RS100. Quite hard to use wit the RS150.

Leave a comment:

• Billet
    replied
    What size midrange? The 8" Dayton PM220 has some very nice midrange sounds. I have several pairs and really like them.

Check it out here: https://audioxpress.com/article/test...ymium-8-woofer

According to the article, 2nd harmonics look to be mostly under 1% and third harmonics look almost non-existent.

There is a PM180 also, it might be even better in the midrange...

Leave a comment:

• tvrgeek
    replied
    Originally posted by hex168 View Post
    Also good sites for driver measurements including HD:

hificompass.com
    http://feleppa.com.au/speakersaudio.html
    Thanks, I had not found that. I see the Dayton 2 inch mid did test well and th elittle TB drivers might be pretty good mids. I need to look at that VIfa some.

Leave a comment:

• tvrgeek
    replied
    Been to Zaph. Many times. Even had some of his spec drivers. OK for the price I guess. A little better with some mods I did. My current living room mains were inspired by his SR-71. His testing is very good, but also a decade old. Many newer drivers are out there. The Transducer Labs, the new Peerless, and of course Satori had not been introduced yet.

Maybe new on this forum, but I have been building speakers for 45 years. Never had time for forums while I was working.

Dayamo,
    Yea, for my HT, I run an Anthem 310 AVR. Distortion in the .03% range. Sufficient power for the small room. Yes, looking to put the speakers in-door ( or in-wall if you like the term better) as the room has serious limitations. There is no way to do a nice 4 inches of OC board, move big floor standers out 3 feet, set up a chair in the center of the room to go 16 channel DTS whatever garage. It is a 12 x 12 guest room. I am looking to do as best as I can. Yes, I and more so my wife, are very sensitive to distortion. Going back and forth if a 4.1 or a 5.1 works better. Right now, with my current wall plates (Dayton/Seas) hanging from string, the imaging is much better with 4.1, but for music, it is too point-source. The current Seas soft domes run between 3.5 and 6% distortion. Maybe if you wanted to toss 100K this way, I could add on a dedicated HT room and then I could spring for a high end processor and a stack of amps. If I stay 4.1, I might just swap in my old MOSFET on the mains. AVR is 60W, and that is about my amp.

Measurements suggest I can keep the RS150's, or a pair of the smaller Wavetek, but a toss up between the SB 29RDAC-C0000-4, SB26ADC-C000-4, or Peerless DA32TX00-08 for the HT tweeters. Pretty close to line of sight, so the off-axis of the ring radiators is not an issue though if I go for them, I might "wedge" them a tad to help with near reflections. The two domes, the off axis is an advantage.

FWIW, my living room for serious music is my own Seas based mains, Peerless sub, Parasound amp, Schiit DAC/pre, O-audio plate on the sub sourced from a WMP touch screen. It is equalized totally with levels, crossover adjustments, and slight tweak with a tone control. No DSP needed. I intend to upgrade the speakers too as as good as the Seas alloy domes are, the newer ones are better. It looks as if I can go from mid 3% to under 2. It is also not the best of rooms. My living room in Maryland was much bigger. But I would live in a shack before I had to stay in P.G. county another day.

Thinking about new living room speakers, Transducer Labs or Satori tweeters. I have yet to find objective measures though. On paper the OW-1 might look good, but distortion is worse than my Seas. The Satori and Wavetek woofers does look to be a step up from the Seas.

All this at once. This is a last big go-through as by it is time for the next upgrade, it will be a table radio for the nursing home. I actually have an old Sony in the shop I am going to tweak. Oh, reboxing my FE85/XT-25 based desktops to fit the desk space better while I am at it.

Leave a comment:

• hex168
    replied
    Also good sites for driver measurements including HD:

hificompass.com
    http://feleppa.com.au/speakersaudio.html

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    tvr, knowing that you're (kinda) new here, have you ever visited zaphaudio.com ?

Leave a comment:

• dynamo
    replied
    I must admit, your priorities are interesting to me. Driver distortion is obviously important to you, yet your source is an AVR and you are considering installing speakers in your door..

Leave a comment:

• tvrgeek
    replied
    Reading here, I can see what I might expect with newest SOA. Tells me my measurements may not be very far off.
    http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/SBA-761.htm Impressive design BTW.

Under 2% mostly. Not under 1.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    Originally posted by tvrgeek View Post
    Spent the day measuring distortion on everything on hand. Tried to use RIghtMark but I could not get a -1 reference and it not overload in other tests, so had to drop back to TrueRTA and a dozen selected frequencies, record by hand. Measuring @ 2.86V, regardless of impedance, just to get a relative comparison.
    As expected the Seas t27TBFC was a good bit worst than the T27TBFC/G but I knew that from listening. HDS, frequently suggested as so great, really was a toss up with the XT-25G. Cheaper stuff measured worse of course. In all cases, second harmonic was 5 to 10 dB higher than third. In all cases, higher order were lo enough to ignore. I did not drive the tweeters hard enough to see sub-harmonics.
    Confirmed the RS150 is darn decent not just for the price. RS125 is not. Bummer. 7 inch Seas reed about the same distortion wise, but of course other advantages. I think there are far better mid-bass, or at least the published specs say so. Tweeters are harder as all I get is things like "Satori tweeter is like the SB but cleaner" Not exactly objective information and I don't have the greenbacks to buy them all and test.

As there is no standard for measuring distortion, any suggestions are welcome. The numbers I got were significantly higher than I expected, running from .8 to 6%. Most in the middle 2% to middle 3% for tweeters, a bit less on the woofers. I think for fair comparisons, one woudl need to pick a frequency, say 500 for woofer and 3K for tweeter, to set an SPL around 85, then measure with that in a sweep.

Looking for very good midranges. 1000 to 3000 or so. Some look good but efficiency is very low so not sure how one woudl integrate them with woofers @ 88 dB, mids @ 83, and of course we pad the tweeters as they are in the 90's. The SB 2 inch dome looks like one to at least test.
    lol thanks for the chuckle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X