Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a 2.5 way concept make sense for an in wall design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tvrgeek
    replied
    Maybe B&W is trying to tame their horribly bright edgy top end in all their speakers? Na.
    Impressive distortion spec though.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    A 2.5 can be employed to compensate for the baffle step, but it doesn't have to be used for that reason alone. For instance, it's often used in pro-sound speakers with low Q woofers to provide higher sensitivity in the lows relative to the mids, which tend to have rising response with low Q woofers. It's also used when woofers are necessarily placed side by side, to eliminate comb filtering in the mids. That said, I don't know what B&W is up to with the linked speaker, as it uses woofers, midranges and a tweeter.

Leave a comment:

• Does a 2.5 way concept make sense for an in wall design?

Hi all. I'm under the assumption that the purpose of a 2.5 way design is to use the second woofer to augment the wider range woofer to help compensate for loss of efficiency below the baffle step. If that's not the case then I could probably use some clarification.

Considering that there is no baffle step compensation necessary for an in wall design does a 2.5 way design make sense? I'd argue no, but a Google search shows that such designs aren't uncommon. Of course with speakers it could all be marketing but even reputable companies like B&W offer such designs.

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/sites/...19-11/CWM7.pdf
Working...
X