Localization masking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Localization masking

More thoughts. It is "generally well known" a dubious fact in other words, that below 100 Hz sound in omni-directional and we do not localize it. Higher frequencies provide localizations. Fine, for subs, 80 to 120 is SOP and as long as the sub distortion is low enough, we can't identify the sub location. Fine.

But, I am wondering how far we can push this? ( Very difficult room) I found one paper that suggests we loose distinction closer to 1800 Hz. Where this is going, as it would be easy and un-obtrusive to mount tweeters and upper mids in the doors flanking my TV, but space for low mid-bass is not as convenient. But, if I added two more mid-bass instead of by the tweeters, about 2 1/2 feet to the sides, to the lower corners just below the screen, would I still get full soundstage width? How far up could I push it? 500Hz? 300Hz? Or is 100 really pretty much it?

Pretty sure I will not run a center any more. Width is small enough that the extra localization does not really help. If I move the mid-bass in, that might actually help but I don't want voices to move or smear their image. Basically, an 8 in the door is a bit of a depth problem. 4's or even 5's are OK.

Localization has nothing to do with the dispersion pattern of the speakers. It's determined by the distance between your ears. When that distance is too short relative to the wavelength heard we cannot localize it via triangulation. As for whether or not to use a center, I tried the false center arrangement and found it didn't replicate the result when using a center.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

That sort of correlates with the paper I read. Back to what may wind up being a 3-way in the doors. Mixed feelings on the center still.

Comment

Working...
      X