Stupid simple cable management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid simple cable management

I don't even remember what I was browsing Amazon for, but this thing came up, and I thought, "Dang, that's a really good idea!"

https://www.amazon.com/DMoose-Cable-...dp/B01KJ371RW/

When I was in high school and college, I was fine with having rats nests of cables everywhere around my computers/TVs/stereos. It looked like I was busy at work. A sign of pride, maybe. But the older I get, the less i want to see dangling cables--except maybe when I'm prototyping crossovers.

For everyday rooms around the house and power strips everywhere, I really like the idea of just shoving everything in a box, and letting just the ends of cables come out. Excess cables and wall warts are out of sight. Is it as good as having cables cut to proper size, or neatly routed? No . But who cares? When I have to change something I could just pull the mess out, plug/unplug, and shove it all back in and close the lid.

As for this particular product, it looks kinda cheap and flimsy. But how hard would it be for hobbyists like ourselves to make them out of scrap?

Do any of you have any good cable management ideas you use?
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
    Twitter: @undefinition1

Such a basic but really good idea.

I bought a laptop desk for my son a year or so ago. It has a pull out drawer with a fold down front so your laptop stays inside and keeps the top clear for monitors or books or whatever. What was interesting is the last 6" or so of the drawer was sectioned off so cables could go through the sectioning wall and then all that cable mess gets captured in that cavity. It's brilliant. I spent over $100k buying new desks when our corporate office moved locations last year and had a terrible time trying to find an L shaped desk where the part that goes against the wall has a recess so that it can actually GO AGAINST THE WALL with outlets and cords and such in the way. Never did find one from the vendors I had to choose from. Crazy.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Neat find Paul!

Comment

Ha... that is awesome Paul!
      It's just a box!... how have I never seen something like this before. Lol

-Chris P

Comment

I would need a monkey coffin sized box for my mess.

Comment

Why not an ice-melt or kitty litter bucket? Snap on top, cut 2 holes in it.
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
          X