Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
    Do those sound a little hot?
    They don't, response at listening position doesn't show quite that peak (may be some near field artifact/where I put the microphone, probably placed too low with respect to the tweeter, which is ribbon too so not as good vertical response), and also I can't hear much over 15 kHz.

Comment

So, armed with info presented here, I'm going to use the small reel of 12/2 ordered yesterday for my PC and bedside 2.1 systems, and some spares for sales demos, and buy a large reel of 14/2 for to rewire my HT. Some of those HT cables are decades old zipcord with stripped and twisted terminations. I'll feel all fresh and new, I'm absolutely sure it will sound "better".

Comment

Black is ok, but I prefer blue wire. I have always thought the silver and gold stuff to look a little cheesy. I also like when one conductor has a square molded jacket and the other round but as long as they are clearly marked, it isn't a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukk View Post
          Black is ok, but I prefer blue wire. I have always thought the silver and gold stuff to look a little cheesy. I also like when one conductor has a square molded jacket and the other round but as long as they are clearly marked, it isn't a big deal.
          I think it's important the cable color matches the cable elevator color. A clash could sound very discordant
          Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

I think it's important the cable color matches the cable elevator color. A clash could sound very discordant
            Yea, but faux woodgrain cable is really expensive.

Comment

I'd like to be able to get back on https://www.diyaudio.com/ as a member but I was permanently banned without warning for posting a graphic depicting election results by county for the USA 2020 election and comparing it to a poorly integrated tweeter/midwoofer in a passive cross-over circuit.

The data/graphic was deemed a PERMANENTLY banable-offence.

I see the Irony.

I promise not to damage anyone's sensitivities to factual data over there in the future if any of you here have some influence with the moderators over there.

Thanks!

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lee View Post
                I'd like to be able to get back on https://www.diyaudio.com/ as a member but I was permanently banned without warning for posting a graphic depicting election results by county for the USA 2020 election and comparing it to a poorly integrated tweeter/midwoofer in a passive cross-over circuit.

The data/graphic was deemed a PERMANENTLY banable-offence.

I see the Irony.

I promise not to damage anyone's sensitivities to factual data over there in the future if any of you here have some influence with the moderators over there.

Thanks!

Steve.

Make a new account. Moderators on that site dont even follow there own rules (I guess they are above there own rules) and give certain members free passes while other members dont.

Comment

I've never been a member there and never would be. It's just one argument after another. At 500,000 there are too many members. Perhaps 10% of them know what they're talking about, which leaves 450,000 ready willing and able to give bad advice.
                  www.billfitzmaurice.com
                  www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

• Here is a true tip for people thinking 12 AWG copper wire is too bulky. Try PTFE Silver Plated Stranded Copper Wires. These wires are smaller in diameter than comparable copper wires. You can even buy them at surplus stores such as https://www.apexjr.com/wire.html.

Comment

• Silver plating doesn't reduce the wire size by a significant amount. Even pure silver only reduces the wire size by 7% compared to copper.
                      www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

• Recently ran some heavy gauge tinned copper wire in the boat. Very flexible. Since then, I've wondered how a thinner version of tinned copper wire would do as speaker cable.
                        Last edited by Kornbread; 01-02-2021, 10:02 PM.
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

• Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                          Silver plating doesn't reduce the wire size by a significant amount. Even pure silver only reduces the wire size by 7% compared to copper.
                          True. If the PTFE wires referenced are significantly smaller, it's because the insulation is thinner.
                          Francis

Comment

• Tinned copper is used in boats to prevent corrosion, at the cost of conductivity. Tin conductivity is only 15% of copper.
                            www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

• Originally posted by fpitas View Post

True. If the PTFE wires referenced are significantly smaller, it's because the insulation is thinner.
                              The white coiled wire is 12 AWG PTFE jacked silver coated wire which sits directly below the ropey 12 AWG speaker wires.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6740.JPG Views:	0 Size:	527.1 KB ID:	1460585

Comment

Working...
                              X