Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trevordj
    replied
    Well, I ended up deciding on something a little more out there, but I'm excited. I will be doing an array of 8 Purifi 6.5" drivers (4 ohm). They are ordered from the other store but won't be in for another couple weeks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kipsas Subwoofer v12.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1461569

Name:	Kipsas Subwoofer v12_2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1461570

Name:	Kipsas Subwoofer v12_3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1461571

Name:	Purifi_6.5.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	1461572

Leave a comment:

• davidroberts
    replied
    I used four of the 704s in a rather small ported enclosure in my last truck. They produced a very surprising amount of low end, especially for a 6-7" driver. 8 should be interesting .

Leave a comment:

• trevordj
    replied
    I ended up going with the Anarchy 704s. For about the same price they have a cast basket otherwise they modeled nearly identically to the Tang Band W6s.

Leave a comment:

• trevordj
    replied
    Lastly, the updated desktop speaker design, these will also be mounted on some floating shelves.

Name:	Kipsas Speaker v14.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1461567

Name:	Kipsas Speaker v14_4.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1461566

Last edited by trevordj; 01-11-2021, 10:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• trevordj
    replied
    And here are the sims for the boxes

Name:	Anarchy_704.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	1460734 Click image for larger version

Name:	TangBand_W6.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	1460735

Leave a comment:

• trevordj
    replied
    I have designed a subwoofer to go with this speaker. Since I have such a large number of small diameter drivers (drivers and PRs) I think it would be cool from a design perspective to do an array of several smaller subwoofers. I have narrowed down the options to the Tang Band W6-1139SIF and the Anarchy 704. I am leaning toward the 704 although both systems model nearly identically. In either case they are going to be in a large vented box in an 8 driver array mounted on a floating shelf.

W6

Bottom showing vent location

Rear showing amplifier location, This will be powered by a single SpeakerPower SP1-700
    Floating Bracket

Anarchy 704
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• AndrewKing
    replied
    Awesome! I hope my santa will love me so much in the new year as he did to you, since i will try my DYI projects in the new year as well.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied
    Originally posted by trevordj View Post
    I’m really excited to dig into a build with these, they should be fun! Here is a quick video I took of the driver during high excursion in slow motion. It’s cool to see what that surround is doing.

https://i.imgur.com/Xyl1t2o.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/XdW9TcP.mp4

-Trevor
    Whee! Looks like my kids on a trampoline!

Leave a comment:

• trevordj
    replied
    Here is what I am thinking about doing. I am leaning toward a 2.5 way TMM arrangement as these speakers will be used in my business with staff either sitting or standing while listening to them. I think th narrowed vertical dispersion that would come with a MTM alignment would be less optimal.

Name:	Desktop Speaker v1.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1459898 Click image for larger version

Name:	purifi.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	1459899 Click image for larger version

Name:	purifi2.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	1459900 Click image for larger version

Name:	purifi3.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1459901
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• trevordj
    replied
    Originally posted by DanP View Post
    Thanks for posting that. I get the concept, but hadn't seen those surrounds in action before. Very cool. I'm actually much more excited avout this 4" driver than I am about the 6.5" just because there are so many fewer great 4" options. I've been modeling it, hoping to get away with a single PR per active driver - excursion limitations could be an acceptable compromise, but it's tough to get the tuning high enough with just one. You're definitely doing it the right way and doubling up on each side is going be amazing! What do you have in mind for layout with all the drivers/PRs?
    I’m thinking of doing the drivers on the front baffle and a pair of prs on each side. I have a couple of 3D renderings I am working on which I’ll post later today. Ya, I really wanted to get away with one PR per driver as well but, as you have seen, they were excursion limited and I thought tuned a bit too low. I agree, there are not a lot of 4” woofers on the market that fill this niche. There are a ton that act as excellent mid ranges but it will be fun to see these in a two way design used down into the 80Hz range -Trevor

Leave a comment:

• DanP
    replied
    Originally posted by trevordj View Post
    I’m really excited to dig into a build with these, they should be fun! Here is a quick video I took of the driver during high excursion in slow motion. It’s cool to see what that surround is doing.

-Trevor
    Thanks for posting that. I get the concept, but hadn't seen those surrounds in action before. Very cool. I'm actually much more excited avout this 4" driver than I am about the 6.5" just because there are so many fewer great 4" options. I've been modeling it, hoping to get away with a single PR per active driver - excursion limitations could be an acceptable compromise, but it's tough to get the tuning high enough with just one. You're definitely doing it the right way and doubling up on each side is going be amazing!

What do you have in mind for layout with all the drivers/PRs?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Lee
    replied
    Your Santa absolutely LOVES you.

Keep us posted, please.

Leave a comment:

• trevordj
    replied

-Trevor

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Wowzers....
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• DanP
    replied
    Holy moly! That is gonna be sweet!