Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bigger speakers/cabinets sound better than small ones with high excursion . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like big drivers... Is there a song in that?

Comment

Julie Brown?
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

• Dukk
        Dukk commented
        Editing a comment
        HA! I see what you did there...

I believe the song is ‘I like big subs and I cannot lie’.

Comment

I love big speakers.... Bass Boy - I Love Big Speakers - Bing video

Click image for larger version

Name:	VenezuelaDJ.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1459891

Paul O

Comment

• Steve Lee
          Steve Lee commented
          Editing a comment
          Love it!

great test for your speaker wire . . .

Thanks!

:D

• Steve Lee
          Steve Lee commented
          Editing a comment
          If at any time your speakers did not deliver some audible output from this audio link you have a hole in your system response.

Chase it down.

• Steve Lee
          Steve Lee commented
          Editing a comment
          My office stereo using NS10M-Studio monitors crossed to a 10" sealed sub-woofer cannot produce the same response (Drops out into silence) that the 12" Radio Shack speakers in 1.6 cu ft cabinets can do.

I need to try this in my shop on the BIC America speakers next . . .

How you you feel about comb filtering?
        www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

No need for a comb or a filter when the wall of speakers will blow your hair and clothes right off...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lee View Post
            ^ That took experience to arrive at - not research.

:D
            How do you know he didn't do a lot of "Research" before the current wife

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

How do you know he didn't do a lot of "Research" before the current wife
              I believe ^ that type of 'research' is actually referred to as philandering which is what experience is derived from.

Comment

See post # 19 for audio link and commentary/findings - post your result/configuration, please?

Comment

I'm guessing a 3way (or 4way) or 2.1 design could also minimize doppler distortion by limiting the worst of it to below 100-200hz while the midwoofers/tweeters barely move.

How well does something like that help for other distortions?....keeping the low-mids and high-bass barely moving and then letting a small, high-excursion subwoofer handle 100-200hz and below with all the distortion that brings.
                  Should that keep most of the distortion concentrated in the lower frequencies, or will the small subwoofer often create enough higher-frequency distortion to render this pointless?

If it does usually keep the dist limited toward the lowest frequencies, does that make it significantly less noticeable and bothersome to our ears/brains, or is LowFrequency distortion still going to be similarly noticeable?

I haven't seen much/any criticism about the Ultimax and RSS woofers creating noticeable distortion, so I'm guessing it's mostly a bothersome problem when the same small woofer is asked to handle midwoofer duty and deep bass at the same time?
                  My first 2way build

Comment

Doppler isn't limited by going three way, nor does it keep the worst of it within the woofer or subwoofer pass band. Just as is the case with THD the driver creates above pass band harmonics not present in the signal sent to it. You don't hear Doppler or THD of a 100Hz tone at 100Hz. You hear it at 200,300.400,500Hz etc.
                    www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Working...
                    X