USB Flash Drive into Stereo Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Flash Drive into Stereo Amp

Like most people today, I have thousands of music MP3's saved to my computer. I can play them on my PC, my MP3 player and in car (using a Flash stick). But I'd also like to play them through my home stereo amp, thru maybe an AUX port.

I figured if I put them on a Flash drive, I could, using a device (DAC?) to interface where I could plug in the drive to the interface which would them plug into my amp for listening. I know I can plug my MP3 audio player into my AUX using the headphone jack and an RCA cable, but that means using the MP3 player...all the time, plus I'd have to update the player with new playlists.

If i could just store the music on the Flash drives, i could establish a collection of songs and playlists, like the old days when you had a collection of CD's or vinyl.

Thoughts?? Thanks

Johnnie

With all that's out there one would assume somebody sells a DAC that accepts a USB input and has RCA analog stereo outputs.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Do you have a PC on the network that can stay on all the time? A DLNA server like Serviio, Plex, or just plain Windows Media Player would be a better option. Dayton's WiFi thingies will play from a DLNA server, as will a bunch of other devices. I use Yamaha's network connected stuff with Musicast personally.

For thumb drives, I made this database application pretty much specifically for populating thumb drives for my car:
      http://woggmusic.com/software/music-library/
      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
      Wogg Music
      Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies. I agree Billfitz...that's my thought too.

Wogg...my Windows PC is on the network and I can and do play music through the Bose PC speaker system I have attached...BUT...I would REALLY like to play the music through my home-made speakers that I built using parts-express components (Samba kit) and through my amp which have a much sweeter sound...and heck...I spent many hours building the speakers...might as well try to use them.

ps...we all know how Bose does mysterious manipulation of the signals to make it sound like they want !!

Comment

This bugger will play from your Windows PC and is controlled from an app on your phone.
          https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...emote--300-597

I also have ROKU devices in the house that play from the server, provide you've got a TV on your system as well.
          Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
          Wogg Music
          Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Thanks Wogg...getting closer...

Comment

Thinking about it the sticking point is that you'd need for the USB to be inputting content to something that can do something with it, like a computer or tablet, which then passes it along to the receiver. Doing that wirelessly would be best accomplished via Bluetooth. Since you already have the files stored on your computer as MP3 all you need is a Bluetooth transmitter and receiver, or just the receiver if the computer has Bluetooth built in.
              www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I used this from PE - https://www.parts-express.com/blueto...utput--320-363
                and this from newegg - https://www.newegg.com/costech-csr4-...1GK-005E-00001
                to play files from my old Vista desktop out to my 1970s stereo, 2 rooms away.

Co$t about $25.
                The original BT didn't have enough bandwidth? for quality music reproduction, but V4/V5 does.
                (Not sure why PE didn't have a comparable Tx on site, but if they do, I sure couldn't find it!)

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnie_DR View Post
                  Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies. I agree Billfitz...that's my thought too.

Wogg...my Windows PC is on the network and I can and do play music through the Bose PC speaker system I have attached...BUT...I would REALLY like to play the music through my home-made speakers that I built using parts-express components (Samba kit) and through my amp which have a much sweeter sound...and heck...I spent many hours building the speakers...might as well try to use them.

ps...we all know how Bose does mysterious manipulation of the signals to make it sound like they want !!
                  Have you considered a raspberry pi zero project? Just thinking the pi could be the brains and output directly to an amp, plus the larger pi has a couple of usb outs
                  ive been wanted to build one into a few of my projects to date, but I've been tinkering with some ultra small builds and you just run out of real estate

Comment

+1 on 3rutu5's advice: you can install logitech media server on your laptop, and a $35 raspberry pi and your wifi will take it from there, rendering the flash drive unnecessary. IQaudio has just lowered the prices on their dac's , and you'll need one for each pi you install. It's a very scalable solution if you have the stomach, time and @$100 to invest (pi, dac, sd card, power supply, heat sink, case etc.)
                    personaly, I recommend picore player as the OS for your pi's if you want to install LMS on your laptop. A little bit of a learning curve, but after your first one, the next five or so go pretty smoothly.

Comment

With digital content, I find it easier to navigate and play what I want via an interface that isn't physically connected to the amp. This could be a pi or other streamer that I can control with a phone or pc ($$), wirelessly from device via bluetooth ($), or a device with a remote and more than a a simple text display ($$$).
                      Nate
                      My Builds - Vigor (Nola Brio Knockoff) - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

FYI...

If anyone else want to do this....Product found on Amazon. I bought it and it works great, once you run through setup and define audio output via AV port, using RCA cable they provide, then plug RCA into amp.. No...I am not a sponsor or any affiliation.

AGPtek 1080P HDMI TV Media Player with HDMI / YPbPr / AV Output, USB/SD Ports with Remote Control for MP3 AVI RMVB MPEG etc

Amazon Link

Johnnie

Comment

• Paul Carmody
                          Paul Carmody commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Perfect find! This is exactly the sort of thing I knew had to exist. it was just a matter of finding it on Amazon

Not the cleanest option, but just about all current auto head units play music files from a USB stick. So one with preamp outputs would plug into a home amp.

Comment

Working...
                        X