Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3D Printed Voxel finally complete, thanks guys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sychan168
    replied
    This is great! It looks like you took advantage of the possibilities with 3D printing and really elaborated on the basic Voxel design. I gotta order some more filament now.

Leave a comment:

• zx82net
    commented on 's reply
    It turns out my office is kind of "live" at around 50Hz, 3.4m wide by 3.4m high :-/
    I tried it in a larger room and it was not nearly so boomy. I'm going give the woofer a good break in, then re-measure it and try adjusting the port if it hasn't come down much.

• Paul Carmody
    replied
    So were you able to adjust the tuning of the bass response to your liking?

Leave a comment:

• zx82net
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks! I know more about cameras than I do speakers :-D

• zx82net
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
    Fantastic!!
    Thanks Paul, that means a lot.

Leave a comment:

• zx82net
    replied
    Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
    Those are really nice looking. How do they sound?

TomZ
    The satellites are remarkable for a 2 inch cube. Also, I love the sound of the BMR drivers so I may be slightly biased. The BOM for the satellites is ~$20, including the plastic, which I feel is very good value. In my experiments so far, I like the 35mm BMR even more than this 28mm one, but the larger one is much more of a mid-range unit, I don't think it would be possible to hit 140Hz with the 35mm. I'm going to try doing a slightly larger version of the satellite, something which could cross over in the 110-120Hz range, rather than 130-140Hz. I haven't selected drivers yet, but I'd like to do something with <500ml enclosure, ideally the 300-400ml range. I don't have room for any more large speakers, and it's fun seeing what you can do in a small package. I think it also makes a project more accessible to anyone else who want's to give it a go.

I was worried initially that the Voxel configuration with the end plates and louvers might mess with the tuning, but the impedance curves are exactly the same with and without them on, and there's no turbulence noise or rattling from the louvres, so it seems I got away with it. :-D

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    They look store bought, meant as a compliment.

Nice photography too.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied
    Fantastic!!

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Those are really nice looking. How do they sound?

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• zx82net
    replied
    No post processing of the surfaces, just a few glue joints, some blue tack and a shed load of screws!

Leave a comment:

• 3rutu5
    replied
    They turned out really nice, did you have to do any post processing with these?

Leave a comment:

• zx82net
    started a topic 3D Printed Voxel finally complete, thanks guys!

3D Printed Voxel finally complete, thanks guys!

I finally got around to posting my 3D printed Voxel project, and some cute little BMR satellites to go along with it. A number of people here patiently answered questions along the way, thanks for your help. And of course, thanks to Paul Carmody for the Voxel design!
    Project write-up shared here, including all the stl's for printing it:
    https://www.instructables.com/P-CUBE-Speaker-System/
    (If anyone thinks there are any technical inaccuracies in the write-up, feel free to let me know. )
    Attached Files
Working...
X