No announcement yet.

Port Design Compromises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For any vented designs I do I target <=17ms at rated power or xmax whichever comes first. For slot vents, keeping your ratio <1.0 to 10 helps prevent unwanted noises as well.

In my opinion if your vent length needed starts to exceed 50”, you may want to seriously consider a Passive Radiator design or other alignment.

Comment

If your vent length is more than 30 inches make the box larger, or use a smaller driver. Nothing good comes of using a port that's simply too long in the interest of using a box that's too small.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

A 50" port does not sit well with me...

Comment

My port choices right now ar 35-inch if the port is 1.5" high anf 41-inch if it is 1.75 inches high. Both options show first port resonance over 160Hz, so 80Hz xover should stil lbe ok. The 35-inch option will be L-shaped and the 41-inch option will need to be a folded port. Should I assume winisd is overestimating the effective port area and not considering the high-friction area near the port walls or do most people find it to be reasonably accurate?

Comment

WinISD doesn't consider port wall friction. IME anything less than 2 inches will be problematic. I'd avoid a difference of only one octave from the top end of the pass band to the first port resonance. Two octaves is the minimum that I'd use.
            www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
              WinISD doesn't consider port wall friction. IME anything less than 2 inches will be problematic. I'd avoid a difference of only one octave from the top end of the pass band to the first port resonance. Two octaves is the minimum that I'd use.
              I guess this is where those compromizes are going to come back into play. The design now has two ports that are 6.625-inch wide, 1.5-inch tall, and about 34-inch long. This puts first port resonance just over 200Hz. Two octaves above xover would be 320Hz. I don't think I am going to get there from here. I am still playing with options to increase the ports to 1.75-inch tall.

Comment

Probably been mentioned already, but this is classic PR territory.
                Francis

Comment

Originally posted by pick View Post
                  I am still playing with options to increase the ports to 1.75-inch tall.
                  That's easy. Don't use slots.

www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Working...
                  X