Loudspeaker Management System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loudspeaker Management System

My trusty DCX2496 is acting flaky after ten good years of service, so I'm in the market for a replacement. The DCX is a bargain, but I'm willing to pay up to maybe $2k for a spiffier one. I need at least 3 outputs from each channel, 19" rack mount, balanced inputs and outputs, etc. One unit in the running is an RCF DX 2006; if anybody has comments about it, they're welcome.
    Francis

DBX 260. But first go through the common DCX failures, like the ribbon cable connections.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
      DBX 260. But first go through the common DCX failures, like the ribbon cable connections.
      Yeah, I RTVed the ribbon cable connectors in my DCX. Thanks Bill!
      Francis

Comment

MiniDSP 4x10HD. 500 bucks and it does all that and more. And you can add a remote for <$20. And you can probably get rid of tour pre-amp. And I've never had to fix any part of mine (running for the past 3 years or so).

Comment

And boot faster, much lower noise, lower distortion.

Comment

• LIDAR
            LIDAR commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I forgot about that one. The MiniDSP appears to start up immediately.

Originally posted by LIDAR View Post
          MiniDSP 4x10HD. 500 bucks and it does all that and more. And you can add a remote for <$20. And you can probably get rid of tour pre-amp. And I've never had to fix any part of mine (running for the past 3 years or so).
          Thanks, I'll check it out. Not crazy about the Phoenix connectors (versus XLR) but that may not be a show-stopper.
          Francis

Comment

• LIDAR
            LIDAR commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree about the connectors. I solved the problem by having an 8 channel amp located a few inches away (directly below) from the MiniDSP and I run it all single ended (RCA). The cables are only a foot long. I compared it to running differential and for such a short run I could not hear any difference. I'd bet that for a long run differential would fare better

My buddy uses dbx DriveRack systems in his pro setup. May be worth looking at.
          Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
          Wogg Music
          Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
            My buddy uses dbx DriveRack systems in his pro setup. May be worth looking at.
            Yeah, Bill mentioned the 260. The Venu360 is in the running, too.
            Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
              My trusty DCX2496 is acting flaky after ten good years of service, so I'm in the market for a replacement. The DCX is a bargain, but I'm willing to pay up to maybe $2k for a spiffier one. I need at least 3 outputs from each channel, 19" rack mount, balanced inputs and outputs, etc. One unit in the running is an RCF DX 2006; if anybody has comments about it, they're welcome.
              The following might interest you, a post quoted from an older thread. And here is a link to Charlie's software.

Originally posted by charlielaub View Post

Hello PE TT friends. Glad to see there is some interest in software DSP for crossover work here. It's my main platform these days for multiple systems around my home.

So, is A Pi too underpowered to run Ubuntu? Well - IMHO yes. Do you need Ubuntu to do any of this crossover stuff with ecasound? No. A straight up Raspbian install is very good, and very capable. You might even get more performance under Raspbian since much of the Ubuntu OS won't be used or needed. Also, do not use a first generation Pi - it's too underpowered. You must use a model 2 or 3, both of which have plenty of computational horsepower for IIR crossovers. If you want to do FIR filtering with lots of taps, then you probably want to find something more powerful than a Pi. I only implement IIR filters, so this is not an issue for me. All the ecasound based stuff uses IIR filters, and they are very computationally lightweight. IIR filters are just like analog active filters in the way they effect magnitude and phase.

As an example of what you can do with a Pi, I am running a Pi 2 based system now. I stream audio to it over my LAN (Google GSASysCon) and use a pro-audio recording interface as the DAC. The Pi is sending 10 channels of 24/48k audio to the DAC via USB without a problem. I don't think many systems would need any more than this number of output channels... Instead of streaming, I could take the input from the analog inputs of the USB interface just the same.

IMHO the Pi is the best low-cost platform for this kind of application if you will be purchasing something. It's low power so it is fanless (therefore silent). I have used the GPIO pins to automatically turn on my aI have tried other SBC type boards, and the OS implementation often creates one problem or another, so now I either go with a Pi 3, or I build a system around a mini-ITX motherboard if I want something more serious. An old computer can work well, too, but I would not buy one.
              "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
              of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
              - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
              A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
              (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

Originally posted by JRT View Post

The following might interest you, a post quoted from an older thread. And here is a link to Charlie's software.

Thanks JRT. There are a lot of great options out there. I sorta toyed with another DCX; after all, mine did last ten years. But I finally pulled the switch on the RCF DX-2006. It has the feature set I want in a 1U rack unit. Hopefully it gives me 10+ years of service. I appreciate everybody's contributions here.
                Francis

Comment

Charlie is right about using a Pi. But if you're like me you'll want something that's more like an appliance than a project. I need to have my hi-fi usable by family members, so it must have a button to turn the whole thing on (not 10 buttons) and a knob to vary the volume - plus a remote if possible. The MiniDSP 4x10hd ticks those boxes with one exception (the button to turn it on) which is easily resolved many ways. (I use one of those power strips that turn on multiple outlets is there is power draw on the master outlet and I have an amp with a push-button power switch plugged into the master). I have a Mac Mini sitting next to the hi-fi that (among other things) does music server duty. I could easily have done all my XO stuff through that. Of course, then I would have needed to digitize the phono input etc. etc. I just opted for operational simplicity while accepting very few compromises. Just my 2 cents. Everyone's mileage appears to vary ;-)

Comment

The Venu360 is quite flexible... 3x6 format, lots of adjustability in terms of routing and analog in/out levels, and (with the copies I have) AES digital inputs available if you have a digital source and want to skip the A/D section.

As compared to the 260 its software and connectivity is much more convenient (nice PC and IPad apps).

The DriveRack PA2 is less expensive, a bit less flexible, but if you want to do a 'normal' 2x2 or 2x3 setup it is probably at least as nice as the Behringer was. Similar apps.

Personally, I've fallen down the FIR processing rabbit hole. I could have gone the MiniDSP route, but wanted something known to be road-worthy, and I can't use make use of their crazy-long FIR filters live anyway.

So I have been buying used Symetrix Radius (1024 taps @ 48K) and Jupiter (512 taps @ 48k) units. Euroblock I/O. These have absurdly high list prices, but can be had used on EBay in the ca. $400-$500 range with enough patience. The Radius has Dante IO, and (for onboard line level IO) is 4x8 or 4x12. Completely free-form signal flow on the Radius & Edge models. Really fun, but I warn that they represent a potentially infinite time sink.

Other 'pro' / install FIR-capable IO systems (by 'install', I mean Euroblock I/O) include the BSS-BLU series and the QSC Core-110, etc. No direct experience with those.

In a $$$$ XLR form-factor, the Lake LM26 has cachet.

Anyone in need of some DR-PA2 or a Venu360, feel free to PM me, I still have some mint-ish ones on hand.
                    Last edited by tonyman; 01-07-2021, 03:40 PM.

Comment

There are so many good choices out there, it was tough to home in on just one. A far cry from just ten years ago. And twenty years ago, forget about it unless you had very deep pockets.
                      Francis

Comment

Originally posted by jone132
                        The Nvidia Shield TV has established itself as a fantastic streaming video player for geeks in the last four years.
                        Hey, great! I hope I'm clever enough to re-purpose it into a full featured loudspeaker DSP unit.
                        Last edited by Chris_Perez; 01-07-2021, 03:45 PM. Reason: Sorry fpitas, I am just editing this message to get rid of the spam link. I enjoy your response so I am keeping this post.
                        Francis

Comment

I've bought one of these:
                          http://www.suptronics.com/miniPCkits/x6000-7.1ch.html

For my first 3 way active project.

To put on a Pi3 and run ecasound on Linux. Charlie Laub developed a ecasound filter modeling tool in Excel:
                          http://audio.claub.net/LADSPA-plugins.html

I'm planning to implement this year. It will replace my current 2 channel Pi HAT DAC but still use MPD to serve music.

Comment

Working...
                          X