Subwoofer amp recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subwoofer amp recommendation

Looking to replace a blown amp in my kef. PSW 3500 sub. It’s a 300 W 12 inch downward firing sealed cabinet. I was looking at the yung 300 W plate amp But wasn’t sure whether to go with the boost or no bass boost option for a sealed cabinet. Any advice?

Can't answer your question. But, I've attached the owner's manual and the service manual for the Kef PSW3500. The service manual lists all the PCB's electronic parts. If your electronically handy, first step is posting high-res pics of the PCBS to see if anything "cooked".

Unfortunately, a quick scan of both documents did not reveal whether the unit has any low frequency boost.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks already have The owners manual and have downloaded the schematics. Unfortunately the damage is more effort than it’s worth to fix. I have
      already been in contact with kef , That was a dead end so I’m I’m looking to replace not repair.

Comment

And yes, most of the amplifier section is Fried

Comment

Is this in a HT with DSP control for the sub? If so, the one without boost should be able to correct most things. If not, you maybe should measure the amp response in-room and see if you need any boost or where/how much.

Or, get the Dayton DSP amp and do the EQ yourself. Probably the safest bet.

Comment

Most typically, a closed box will require some boost.
            If you measured the (internal) box volume, and knew a few T/S parms of the 12", a box model would tell you what was needed.

Comment

Thanks, I’ve looked online to try to find the volume of the enclosure but couldn’t find anything. It’s an oval enclosure so it’s a little tricky to calculate the volume. I looked into the 250 w dayton dsp model, but I was trying to keep the cost down on a 15 year old sub. Once I get close to the $200 mark on an amp it just makes more sense to buy a whole new sub. Thanks for your input, now I just need to bass boost model to go on sale again!

Comment

The correct answer on which amp you need is "it depends".

I have no idea about your specific Kef. Some are built high Q and then eq down the peak and add boost lower. Some closer to max flat and may just have a little boost even lower, or a low Q ( doubtful as the box is much bigger) actually blends with most rooms quite well. So without measuring your speaker, you do not know what eq you need. If your room is rectangular, you can download simulators that will give you a hint about your room gain. I know Kef was never afraid or active eq, but don't assume it is just a simple boost.

Sub drivers have not changed much. A 15 year old sub, providing the surround is not foam and falling apart, is as good as a brand new one. Being a Kef, most likely is very good. Just saying.

Comment

The schematics online for the Kef psw3500 states it has a 6db boost at 40 hz. Now the problem I see is it also shows an eq shelf right after the 40hz boost in the schematics, but it is turned on and off by the music (off) cinema (on) switch. So I would say the choice is between the yung 300w amp with 30hz boost for 129.00 or IMOA the Dayton Audio SPA250 250 Watt Subwoofer Plate Amplifier for 169.00 wait for a sale! . Now the dayton has 6db boost at 35hz and can be turn on or off somehow on the amp section that would be a big plus and would be closer to the 40hz boost of the kef amp. And do inspect the drivers surrounds to make sure its worth the investment.

Comment

Speaker is in perfect condition, was using it regularly until last week when the amp went. I found the yung 500 w no boost restocked at a great price So I’m gonna give that a shot. I found that when using the kef Amp set To cinema (boosted) it sounded very muddy So the no Boost version Might be right for me. I’ll check back in a week when the sub is up and running And let you know how it worked out. Thanks to all for your help and advice.

Comment

Working...
                    X