Atmos speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atmos speakers

I’m looking to build some atmos speakers for my room. They will me mounted about 8ft up on my wall. The rest of my speakers I’ve built for my set up have used the Dayton RS180-8 drivers and peerless tweeters. I’m looking for some ideas and plans for this build

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    I’m looking to build some atmos speakers for my room. They will me mounted about 8ft up on my wall. The rest of my speakers I’ve built for my set up have used the Dayton RS180-8 drivers and peerless tweeters. I’m looking for some ideas and plans for this build
    Unless you have very high ceiling, that placement may be too high for upfiring placement, and is not what is recommended by Dolby Labs.

https://www.dolby.com/siteassets/tec...21318_r3.1.pdf
    Last edited by JRT; 01-14-2021, 12:08 AM. Reason: Fixed link to https://www.dolby.com/siteassets/technologies/dolby-atmos/atmos-installation-guidelines-121318_r3.1.pdf
    "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
    of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
    - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
    A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
    (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

^ Agreed. Though, Atmos implementation is pretty flexible compared to previous Dolby offerings. The additional 2 or 4 channels for Atmos - the x.x.2 or x.x.4 - are designed to be down firing on the enduser to take the sound field from circular to (hemi)spherical. Initially, since most folks down want to tear in the drywall and cut an extra set or two of speakers in to the ceiling in existing installations, Dolby says it's ok to use smaller satellites mounted on top of the front left and right speakers that are angled to bounce the sound off the ceiling back down to the main seating area. I haven't found this arrangement to be optimal, but I honestly haven't spent too much time fiddling with it.

If it were my project, perhaps look at taking a similar approach. Lower the speakers from 8 feet down to 5 feet or so, and angle them upwards so that the sound would bounce back down to your seating position, just like bouncing a billiard ball of the rail. What I haven't tried yet (but would like to) is to recess the baffle a little bit in to the box so that any directly radiated sound from the drivers is somewhat blocked, if that makes sense.

Another option is to use Dolby Pro Logic IIz; this codec is designed to use two height channels on the front wall like you describe. It doesn't create the same immersion as Atmos, but changes the sound field from a circle to a cylinder. Well, a bisected cylinder anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by JRT View Post
        Unless you have very high ceiling, that placement may be too high for upfiring placement, and is not what is recommended by Dolby Labs. https://www.dolby.com/siteassets/technologies/dolby-atmos/atmos-installation-guidelines-121318_r3.1.pdf
        I’m not looking for up firing, be mounting on the wall like the svs elevations

Comment

• Blenton
          Blenton commented
          Editing a comment
          See my last comment above. That is not an Atmos setup, but Pro Logic IIz.

I understand how you plan on mounting your speakers on the wall that will work just fine that's how mine are mounted. You still want to set up the speakers in the right arrangement X.X.X first being your floor speakers 5 or 7 subwoofers 1 or 2 and ceiling speakers 2 or 4. Mounting the wall speakers in the same area as if they are in the ceiling but on the wall I built mounts so they are 12" into the room (wall to front of speaker). 2 of mine are on the back wall two are about the middle of the room I sit in the middle of the 4 of them floor surrounds are to the side 10 degree and back floor surrounds are behind per manual in yamaha dolby atmos setup. Now for your speaker build remember in dolby atmos all channels are discrete playing the full audio spectrum 20 -20,000hz yes so your atmos speakers should be full range. If your speakers you built are 2 ways using the RS180 and the peerless tweeter that's what I would use for the atmos speakers 11 speakers that are a perfect match. What mains do you have? what are your surrounds now? subwoofers? 5.2.2 or 7.2.4 what are you setting up?

Comment

Originally posted by 129Decibel View Post
          I understand how you plan on mounting your speakers on the wall that will work just fine that's how mine are mounted. You still want to set up the speakers in the right arrangement X.X.X first being your floor speakers 5 or 7 subwoofers 1 or 2 and ceiling speakers 2 or 4. Mounting the wall speakers in the same area as if they are in the ceiling but on the wall I built mounts so they are 12" into the room (wall to front of speaker). 2 of mine are on the back wall two are about the middle of the room I sit in the middle of the 4 of them floor surrounds are to the side 10 degree and back floor surrounds are behind per manual in yamaha dolby atmos setup. Now for your speaker build remember in dolby atmos all channels are discrete playing the full audio spectrum 20 -20,000hz yes so your atmos speakers should be full range. If your speakers you built are 2 ways using the RS180 and the peerless tweeter that's what I would use for the atmos speakers 11 speakers that are a perfect match. What mains do you have? what are your surrounds now? subwoofers? 5.2.2 or 7.2.4 what are you setting up?
          This is the space I have to work with. Right not it’s a 5.1, mains are a version of Jeff bagbys mtm speakers and my sides are basically the same but a tm version.

Comment

Nice! I'd use the same tm for the full system you can change the shape to match the svs elevations keeping the front baffle size and box volume the same. Are the drivers and plans still available? if they are your set make some dust!

Comment

Originally posted by 129Decibel View Post
              Nice! I'd use the same tm for the full system you can change the shape to match the svs elevations keeping the front baffle size and box volume the same. Are the drivers and plans still available? if they are your set make some dust!
              Ya the plans and drivers are. I’m just finishing up the surrounds now. Since I’m getting a new avr that has atmos soon I was getting excited on what to build next lol

Comment

There is a time alignment/phase shift component in Atmos speaker output when it gets to the ear. I'm not sure Western Electric didn't do a better job by 1934 in movie theaters and with "Noiseless Recording System" than has been done since. I was streaming a 1935-36 movie the other morning (3-4AM) good print and transfer, and was surprised how good the sound quality was. Sitting up with my shoulder (typing with one hand gets OLD fast) is giving me FAR too much time on my hand, and too many naps from pain and muscle meds. I get tired of my bed...move to a chair...doze off...need to move the arm... change chairs...read some...nap...bed...legs cramp...chair...old movie and nap...cup of hot soup, go back to old movie and nod off again...DAWN.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
                  There is a time alignment/phase shift component in Atmos speaker output when it gets to the ear. I'm not sure Western Electric didn't do a better job by 1934 in movie theaters and with "Noiseless Recording System" than has been done since. I was streaming a 1935-36 movie the other morning (3-4AM) good print and transfer, and was surprised how good the sound quality was. Sitting up with my shoulder (typing with one hand gets OLD fast) is giving me FAR too much time on my hand, and too many naps from pain and muscle meds. I get tired of my bed...move to a chair...doze off...need to move the arm... change chairs...read some...nap...bed...legs cramp...chair...old movie and nap...cup of hot soup, go back to old movie and nod off again...DAWN.
                  What does this have to do with anything ?

Comment

Working...
                  X