Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zx82net
    replied
    Talking logistics; is anyone interested in sharing transport from Chicago or South Bend airports?

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    If they are capable of 95dB/1m they should be okay. Target is 78-80dB at the listening distance.
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• zx82net
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    If you have a DSP active system, then it can't be a themed entry. All of the theme entries must be passive.

We don't have very many active systems present in most cases, but usually we have room for one if the entrant sets up over lunch or a break to not take up as much time. Let's face it, active systems are not just plug and play.

Later,
    Wolf
    Maybe it's plug and plug and play, rather than plug and play, but not more than that. What kind of SPL@1m is required to be effective in the room?

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    If you have a DSP active system, then it can't be a themed entry. All of the theme entries must be passive.

We don't have very many active systems present in most cases, but usually we have room for one if the entrant sets up over lunch or a break to not take up as much time. Let's face it, active systems are not just plug and play.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• jim85iroc
    replied
    I think I'm most impressed that your poll adds up to 135%

Leave a comment:

• zx82net
    replied
    Hi I'm considering attending for the first time. How do things work with the themed/un-themed entires? Is there room for a small 2.1ch system driven with a DSP?

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied
    Bump! Only a few weeks away!!!

Leave a comment:

• gavinator68
    replied
    Thank you all for the input. I have booked my room and will be there to help set-up if needed.

Cheers,

David

Leave a comment:

• ernperkins
    replied
    Originally posted by gavinator68 View Post
    Could you be so kind as to share the origin of that jpg.

Cheers,

David
    Here's a dropbox link to it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8smyhs8038...stics.JPG?dl=0

And here's another one that shows the frequency range for different instruments and vocals. Helpful for determining where to prioritize your efforts:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/64g1whtp3p...ctrum.JPG?dl=0

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    I'll never forget my first DIY event. I walked in and the speakers playing had about $40 in drivers per side, and were 3-ways to boot. I was blown away at how great they sounded.

It will stick with you...
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied
    I will echo what the others have said. InDIYana is a great event for those just getting into the hobby or the simply curious. Its a place to hear established designs but also ask questions of some of the best designers in the DIY community. When you are ready to display your own work, those designers will critique it and give you honest feedback in a tactful manner.

As far as the theme, there is never a requirement for anyone to participate. But it is an opportunity to think outside the box and use creativity to push the limits of one's skills.

I encourage you to attend. There is no fee, great camaderie, and just a fantastic opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• gavinator68
    replied
    Could you be so kind as to share the origin of that jpg.

Cheers,

David

Leave a comment:

• a4eaudio
    commented on 's reply
    These are great events to attend even without bringing anything, you will learn a lot and likely be motivated to try to build something for the next year's event.

• gavinator68
    replied
    WOW!!! Thank you for that ernperkins!!! I have never seen this before.

Cheers,

David

Leave a comment:

• ernperkins
    replied
    Attend! You’ll learn a lot and meet some great people too. If possible, attend Friday night too. You’ll hear a lot of non-themed speakers and more discussions. Saturday is more focused in order to get through all the themed entries. But it’s a good comparison of speaker differences that are built under the same constraints. Here’s a chart that attempts to connect frequency response characteristics with common speaker terms.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Frequency response characteristics.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	1465270

Leave a comment:

Working...
X