Down Firing Passive Radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down Firing Passive Radiator

I had been under the impression that because of typically high moving mass, a down firing passive radiator would sag excessively, making it a generally bad idea, unless the dangling static mass was countered/supported in some way that would not excessively damp dynamic motion.

Today I received a weekly clearance specials email from a longtime hifi gear mailorder house. I won't say who. The listing included a discounted demo unit of the REL Acoustics T9i 10_inch 300_Watt powered subwoofer. I have zero interest in buying that, but noticed that the seller describes it as having a down firing 10_inch PR and front firing 10_inch woofer.

To me that seems like a bad idea, but what do I know.

Just thought some might find that unusual variation provocatively interesting.
    "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
    of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
    - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
    A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
    (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

It's probably not as much a concern as with a driver, since there's no voice coil to be adversely offset.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I would guess you can design a PR to be down firing by pre-loading the cone upwards.
      Francis

Comment

Working...
      X