Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do air core inductors make a noticeable difference over solid inductors low pass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good point
    Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Regore View Post
      Do some research.
      Really? Do you have one of these? When I got mine I needed to be recommended for membership by two members in good standing. One was Joe D'Appolito. The other was Vance Dickason.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AES.jpg Views:	0 Size:	321.0 KB ID:	1462658
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I designed a DIY speaker for a friend and he used SuperQ iron core inductors for his midrange and it sounds great. At this point, I don't think substituting an air core would make any appreciable difference. I use the SuperQ iron cores routinely for woofers with absolutely no issues.

Comment

Nope. No way. Iron core inductors are THE DEBIL! I never ever use them. If I have to use a large inductor and resistance is becoming an issue, I look at a heavier wire inductor. Yep, it costs a sh#t-ton but it is absolutely worth it! Nothing like an 8lb litz wire Solen inductor the size of a coffee can.

Yes, I know I am delusional and it is completely unnecessary but it is my little indulgence..

(oh, I never use electrolytic caps either, for basically the same delusions..)

Comment

Originally posted by Dukk View Post
            Iron core inductors are THE DEBIL! I never ever use them.
            Point of fact, you do. They're called 'voice coils'.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

• Dukk
              Dukk commented
              Editing a comment
              Touché wise sage..

Originally posted by tvrgeek View Post

"Shunt to ground"

Not disputing use of an NPE in the low pass is not a reasonable cost substitution. Not disagreeing with iron core inductors for LP. But please go learn just a little bit about electronic theory before leading others who also do not have an electronics background astray about location of the component in the network. All current is in the signal path. This is AC.
            So you are disputing there is such a thing as a shunt? You’re telling me that a shunt component is directly in the path of the driver? Are you also suggesting that in a dc circuit the shunt would be out of the signal path but in ac it is not? This doesn’t seem correct,

Comment

I've used Jantzen air core inductors in my projects, simply because they're locally available and the parts values aren't available in i-cores anyway.

The only time I've directly compared them - a two way test build with an RS180P - I couldn't notice any difference. There's a website which dismisses i-cores as dental floss so I was interested to test them.

I made one XO with the i-core and the other with the air core. I didn't solder everything up so they weren't fully assembled, if that made a difference. That only came about because I forgot I already had the i-cores in my spare parts box and ordered the air cores when on special.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse055 View Post

So you are disputing there is such a thing as a shunt? You’re telling me that a shunt component is directly in the path of the driver? Are you also suggesting that in a dc circuit the shunt would be out of the signal path but in ac it is not? This doesn’t seem correct,
                FWIW Bill never said the shunt leg wasn't in the signal path as tvrgeek implied.

Many times I have purposely added series resistance to the woofer's shunt cap to change the filter Q and soften the knee. A NPE cap is perfectly fine in that case and many others.

And for all the folks who claim NPE caps dry out and will need to be replaced in 10 years.... they must still be wearing fanny packs in front and thinking about the first generation of crappy electrolytic caps that came out in the 60's. Modern NPE caps are good for decades.

I suggest using the forum's "ignore" feature regarding certain members.
                Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

Working...
                X