Crest ProLite 2.0 fan swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crest ProLite 2.0 fan swap

I know that quite a few Crown fan swaps have been done, and I'm wondering about plug and play options for the Crest. This amp drives my JBL Studio 590 rig. I don't push this amp too much in its use, but I would like to have options for a lowered noise floor. Suggestions? TIA. Glenn.

I've never played with a Crown, but I put a 300 ohm 10 watt resistor in series with the fan on my QSC RMX-850. Of course, now it can't be pushed to full output continuously, but I don't care about that.
    Francis

Comment

• Drummer
      Drummer commented
      Editing a comment
      Francis, how did you determine the value to use? Does the resistor slow the speed of the fan down, so you get less rpm, hence lowering the fan noise? I am a toddler in poopy diapers, when it comes to my knowledge of electronics. 🤪 Glenn

Pull the part\model number and specs from the fan label. Then lookup the detailed specs of the existing fan. Then go to digikey and do a search, drill down using the frame size and voltage. This should get you into the ball park for a replacement. Now look for a fan with about the same CFM but has a lower running dB level. Then do the swap

Comment

What devnull says is best if you can manage to find one. Actually, I cheated by getting the idea from another forum by doing a Google search. Don't put too big of a resistor in there, or the fan might not start reliably.
      Francis

Comment

I'll do some searching for the fans. Thanks for the info, gentlemen. Glenn.

Comment

Working...
        X